Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

XS Orbea D'Ella build for my son

So I have been meaning to put up a build thread for this bike but just haven't found the time. After looking around at different options for 24" bikes for my son I decided to do the 26" option. My son is a good rider and can easily ride freestyle 20" BMX bikes as well as his starter 16" Schwinn. I really want to hit while the Iron is hot and get him bit by the MTB bug so here it goes. He is a really large kid for his age (in size 8 clothes) at 50 lbs and 50" I know that this bike will be a little much until he is 53-54" but at the rate he is growing that might be by the time this build is over As I have mentioned in other threads he is earning this bike by doing things to help out his mother and doing things the he is asked to do the first time happily I am hoping that we are going to be setting up habits with this that will carry on after the build. He has a chart in the kitchen that has all the different parts and he has to get 10 checks to earn a part, then we go together and install the part on the bike.

So here is the parts list

XS Orbea D'Ella frame
    Fox F-series RL 100mm fork limited to 90mm
    Mavic Cross Ride wheels
    Canecreek Headset (integrated)
    Generic Dirt Jump 50mm 10deg stem
    Easton EA90 carbon flat bar (super close out due to narrow width but perfect for a kid)
    Q2 seat post
    ?? seat
    Sram X7 shifters (take offs with indicators)
    XT front derailleur
    Sram 9.0 ESP rear derailleur
    Sram 9spd cassette
    Shimano BR-M575 disk brakes
    Tires Saguaro rear and Stout front tires set up tubeless
    TruVativ Fire-X Cranks With GXP Bottom Bracket 170mm
    (however might switch to a 150mm Sinz crank with 1x9)
    ?? Pedals

I think that covers it right now I will get picture up as things get built
    Last edited by clarkrw3; 04-06-2011 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I looked long and hard at those frames, they are a great size and geometry for kids.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That bike initially was designed around a 100mm fork...just fyi. Is that the women's frame or the men's?

I have been toying with the idea of buying this frame for the wife and try to entice her a bit more into going offroad, but I can't find all of the geometry measurements to really know which size she'd take.

Good luck on the build! Orbea bikes are truly beautiful.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info....I actually got him a RL100 that has been limited to 90 which should be good for him I think. Might steepen the head tube slightly but can always take out the limiters when or if it's a problem. It is a pretty bike for sure just wish it didn't have rear brake posts but am not willing to mess it up by taking them off and redoing the pretty paint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, I'd leave them.

I have seen some frames come with caps that go over the post mounts in the event you want ed to run disc.

Might be able to find something like that...or even make something.

I think you've just about convinced me to purchase the small for my wife. Hope she likes it!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    FYI...check his inseam, but i think the 170mm are gonna be way too long at 50"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    PS...i like the AC cranks much better, but you can only run a chainring on the one side. Plus they have lots colors and only $69. MCS chainring at J&R comes down to 34t for about $13
    Last edited by wycough; 04-12-2011 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wycough
    PS...i like the AC cranks much better, but you can only run a chainring on the one side. Plus they have lots colors and only $69. MCS chainring and J&R comes down to 34t for about $13
    Very nice I was already thinking about that and looking at those AC and SINZ on the bay....what is the rule of thumb for figuring crank length? I am not sure what to get in the 140-155 range? I still have the 170's when he gets bigger and I already have a nice chain keeper I can throw on there for the 1x9 drive train. I also several extra square taper BB's sitting around that will work no problem. I am just not sure which ones to buy length wise so.....

I really need to take some pictures because it is starting to look like a bike The only problem I have run into so far is that one of the kids ran off with the wedge spacer for the top of the headset and I can't find it anywhere. it is made by cane creek so I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they say about a replacement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My kid is 47-48" tall and races 145mm AC's. He can ride 150-152mm just fine on his smaller bikes, BUT i just put the 150mm on his new 26" build and he is chopping bigtime. Watch rough video of us on the shakedown ride. Going to 140mm for the 26" build. I really think the longer cranks takes it out of the little kids as far endurance goes. Note: i had to use a
    120+mm BB for the bmx cranks set up 1x9. It's the Access 14.5 thread.
    Another Performance Access 14.5 build log

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My son is just 46" 7 year old and he's small. I have been hunting high and low. Can I put a 20" wheel on this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wycough
    My kid is 47-48" tall and races 145mm AC's. He can ride 150-152mm just fine on his smaller bikes, BUT i just put the 150mm on his new 26" build and he is chopping bigtime. Watch rough video of us on the shakedown ride. Going to 140mm for the 26" build. I really think the longer cranks takes it out of the little kids as far endurance goes. Note: i had to use a
    120+mm BB for the bmx cranks set up 1x9. It's the Access 14.5 thread.
    Another Performance Access 14.5 build log
    I observed the same thing with my son on his 24" rockhopper last weekend. He is 54" and the rockhopper has 160mm cranks and they are clearly too long. I think 150mm cranks would be much better for his height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by khaotom
    My son is just 46" 7 year old and he's small. I have been hunting high and low. Can I put a 20" wheel on this?
    I think you are asking to much. Even the XXS is going to be long in the toptube for him and he may not be able to reach the pedals with the saddle all the way down. I would try and find him a 20" bike to hold him over for a year or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I observed the same thing with my son on his 24" rockhopper last weekend. He is 54" and the rockhopper has 160mm cranks and they are clearly too long. I think 150mm cranks would be much better for his height.
    I know what you mean...maybe a set of 145's would be the ticket for my son I want him to be comfortable on it and have fun!!!

On a side note I was fixing his Schwinn kids bike last night and man I can't wait to not have to work on that thing anymore and one of those rims weighs twice as much as my 29" wheel set

I think 20 would be a stretch I think you could get away with a set of disk 24" wheels without the BB being too low and pedal strikes being a danger with a set of short cranks

mtbr member
    So progress update!!

My son has been working really hard on all the parts and has really enjoyed installing them with me. He has lots of questions about what things are what they do etc. He now has all but 4 parts to make it complete so I thought I would post up some pictures of his progress.

I did end up going with the Sinz 145 mm cranks and found out i need a new BB so they should be on in these pics but I need to swing buy the LBS and pick up a inexpensive square taper BB. I also need to get a couple parts to shorten the Hydro lines for the brakes. All in all it is coming out pretty sweet

mtbr member
    I have this bike (though in a Small...I'm still looking for a medium) and I LOVE it! I've been riding it for about 4 years now and it's the best handling bike I own and my go-to in all types of terrain (my 575 gets jealous). My daughter is looking forward to being big enough to ride all of mommy's cool bikes, but she's only 5 now so I think I have a little time

To answer a few questions...the D'ella is the Orbea women's geometry hardtail (now called the Dama geometry). The D'ella isn't one of their current models so the geometry could be a bit challenging, I thought I had one saved on my computer and don't...sorry.
    My Rides:
    SS=Zion 853
    HT=Orbea D'ella
    FS=Yeti 575
    DH/FR=Yeti ASX
    DJ=Kona Cowan
    Road/CX=Orbea Terra

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looking for an update on this build. Video of riding, maybe?

mtbr member
    Wow...yeah an update please!

mtbr member
    Curious how the build finished up - what was the final weight? I'm in the process of building up a XS Gary Fisher fully rigid and am trying for 22 pounds but the wheels I have seem to be what'll keep me from that goal.

I've got a RL shimmed down to 80mm siting off to the side if I needed to swap it in

Nice looking setup.

Ed

mtbr member
    This build finished fantastic!! I would do it all over in a heart beat. My son has done great with it and we are now going on longer and longer trail rides together. I would highly recommend this route to anyone thinking of going with a 24". Here are a few pictures.

Merendon Junkie
    Fox kid fork! You sir, are a gooood FATHER!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Fox kid fork! You sir, are a gooood FATHER!
    Thanks! Actually the reason I went with a Fox was i needed something dual air so he would get travel out of the fork

I don't know that I ever said but he just turned 7 yo
    Last edited by clarkrw3; 03-19-2013 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Curious as to what the final gearing was front and rear?

mtbr member
    I believe it was a 32 and 11-36 but would have to check when I get home

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Thanks! Actually the reason I went with a Fox was i needed something dual air so he would get travel out of the fork

I don't know that I ever said but he just turned 7 yo
    Plus you can take it to the next frame as he grows. I've spent some money on my kids bikes, but try to only do so on parts that can migrate. It's great once they are into 26" wheels...
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    I believe it was a 32 and 11-36 but would have to check when I get home
    Would like to now what brand or where from on that chainring if it is a 32t. Smallest I could find was a 34t. It's ok for the Dallas area unless we go somewhere with more climbing and could use a 32t

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast