mtbr member

would yall consider a 22" wheel MTB for your kid?

This idea was raised by TwoTone over in the "Why we need this wheel size" thread in the 650b, 69er and new wheel trends forum. . .
    Why we need this wheel size

I had mentioned that one company, Faction, from England, have been promoting 22" wheel BMX bikes. Although the people that have tried them love them, the both the BMX industry and mainstream media have been very silent.

TwoTone's post made me think . . . . maybe there could be a substantial market for 22" X 1.75 and 22" X 1.95/2.10 tires if companies made an middle-option children's MTB with normal-fat 22" tires. I realize that bmx mini wheels/tires are actually taller than 20"... but these would be full size tires....

So, would yall consider a 22"-wheel MTB for your kid?

I'm imagining there could be a singlespeed bmx-ish version looking something like the Intense that wycough put together--only with the wheels obviously being 22".

As well as a version that looks more like a geared Hot Rock.

DK 24" next to a Faction Zeitgeist 22"

FIT 20" next to a custom Webbco 22"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My opinion is to get something viable with the two existing supported tire sizes in 20" and 24". There's not much support but there's more than trying to bring in entirely new tire size to market. Work should happen to create a mtn bike racing league which supports younger age groups. The racing will encourage manufacturer's to create better bikes than the current tank offerings we have today. The racing will create higher visibility and new and improved technology could than be benchmarked against the current standards of 20" and 24".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    My opinion is to get something viable with the two existing supported tire sizes in 20" and 24". There's not much support but there's more than trying to bring in entirely new tire size to market. Work should happen to create a mtn bike racing league which supports younger age groups. The racing will encourage manufacturer's to create better bikes than the current tank offerings we have today. The racing will create higher visibility and new and improved technology could than be benchmarked against the current standards of 20" and 24".
    The reason I said something in the other thread was my son was just a touch too small for the 24 when it was time to upgrade from the 16. The 20 is an ok fit, but a 22 would have been perfect when we were looking. Nothing wrong with choice..
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The reason I said something in the other thread was my son was just a touch too small for the 24 when it was time to upgrade from the 16. The 20 is an ok fit, but a 22 would have been perfect when we were looking. Nothing wrong with choice..
    Don't take my post the wrong way. I think choice is great but you are asking for another choice when the first two are done sub par to begin with. Take for example Intense BMX frames. Because of the competitive nature of BMX racing, I have 11 frame sizes to choose from; mini, mini XL, junior, junior XL, expert, expert XL, junior pro, Pro, Pro XL, Pro XL+ and ProXXL. The separation between frames is 1/2-1" in top tube length. I can get my kid dialed in to exactly his size frame to be as efficient and comfortable as possible. I would rather see a manufacturer concentrate on offering higher levels of fit and higher level of components than to do another subpar offering in 22". If 22" was to be the new standard, I'm all for it but let's make sure we do that standard well.

Also, it seems like a large jump from a 16" to a 24". Why not try the 20"? Or just build a smaller 24" with a zero reach stem and low seat. Just my opinion. Good luck on the build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Don't take my post the wrong way. I think choice is great but you are asking for another choice when the first two are done sub par to begin with. Take for example Intense BMX frames. Because of the competitive nature of BMX racing, I have 11 frame sizes to choose from; mini, mini XL, junior, junior XL, expert, expert XL, junior pro, Pro, Pro XL, Pro XL+ and ProXXL. The separation between frames is 1/2-1" in top tube length. I can get my kid dialed in to exactly his size frame to be as efficient and comfortable as possible. I would rather see a manufacturer concentrate on offering higher levels of fit and higher level of components than to do another subpar offering in 22". If 22" was to be the new standard, I'm all for it but let's make sure we do that standard well.

Also, it seems like a large jump from a 16" to a 24". Why not try the 20"? Or just build a smaller 24" with a zero reach stem and low seat. Just my opinion. Good luck on the build.
    He has a 20, no choice.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    . . . trying to bring in entirely new tire size to market. . . .
    I know what you mean . . . but just wanted to put a reminder out there that this tire size already exists. Just not common.

Sunlite MTB Tire 22 x 1.75 Black/Black $9.33

Amazon.com: Sunlite MTB Tire 22 x 1.75 Black/Black: Sports & Outdoors

Sunlite Bicycle Tube 22 x 1.75 SCHRADER Valve
    Amazon.com: Sunlite Bicycle Tube 22 x 1.75 SCHRADER Valve: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My son just outgrew his 18" (actually maybe it's been outgrown for a while and I have just been blind) and I skipped 20" and got a trek 220. I love how you can adjust the crank to make the 24" bike fit a small rider. Personally I think a super adjustable 24" is a better option, at least financially, than a 22" ... fwiw, though, he doesn't even need the smaller setting. I was going to move the pedals to try it that way and he had a fit. "I'm tall for my age, it's FINE!"