Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,376

    would yall consider a 22" wheel MTB for your kid?

    This idea was raised by TwoTone over in the "Why we need this wheel size" thread in the 650b, 69er and new wheel trends forum. . .
    Why we need this wheel size

    I had mentioned that one company, Faction, from England, have been promoting 22" wheel BMX bikes. Although the people that have tried them love them, the both the BMX industry and mainstream media have been very silent.

    TwoTone's post made me think . . . . maybe there could be a substantial market for 22" X 1.75 and 22" X 1.95/2.10 tires if companies made an middle-option children's MTB with normal-fat 22" tires. I realize that bmx mini wheels/tires are actually taller than 20"... but these would be full size tires....

    So, would yall consider a 22"-wheel MTB for your kid?

    I'm imagining there could be a singlespeed bmx-ish version looking something like the Intense that wycough put together--only with the wheels obviously being 22".


    As well as a version that looks more like a geared Hot Rock.





    DK 24" next to a Faction Zeitgeist 22"


    FIT 20" next to a custom Webbco 22"

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    186
    My opinion is to get something viable with the two existing supported tire sizes in 20" and 24". There's not much support but there's more than trying to bring in entirely new tire size to market. Work should happen to create a mtn bike racing league which supports younger age groups. The racing will encourage manufacturer's to create better bikes than the current tank offerings we have today. The racing will create higher visibility and new and improved technology could than be benchmarked against the current standards of 20" and 24".

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    My opinion is to get something viable with the two existing supported tire sizes in 20" and 24". There's not much support but there's more than trying to bring in entirely new tire size to market. Work should happen to create a mtn bike racing league which supports younger age groups. The racing will encourage manufacturer's to create better bikes than the current tank offerings we have today. The racing will create higher visibility and new and improved technology could than be benchmarked against the current standards of 20" and 24".
    The reason I said something in the other thread was my son was just a touch too small for the 24 when it was time to upgrade from the 16. The 20 is an ok fit, but a 22 would have been perfect when we were looking. Nothing wrong with choice..
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The reason I said something in the other thread was my son was just a touch too small for the 24 when it was time to upgrade from the 16. The 20 is an ok fit, but a 22 would have been perfect when we were looking. Nothing wrong with choice..
    Don't take my post the wrong way. I think choice is great but you are asking for another choice when the first two are done sub par to begin with. Take for example Intense BMX frames. Because of the competitive nature of BMX racing, I have 11 frame sizes to choose from; mini, mini XL, junior, junior XL, expert, expert XL, junior pro, Pro, Pro XL, Pro XL+ and ProXXL. The separation between frames is 1/2-1" in top tube length. I can get my kid dialed in to exactly his size frame to be as efficient and comfortable as possible. I would rather see a manufacturer concentrate on offering higher levels of fit and higher level of components than to do another subpar offering in 22". If 22" was to be the new standard, I'm all for it but let's make sure we do that standard well.

    Also, it seems like a large jump from a 16" to a 24". Why not try the 20"? Or just build a smaller 24" with a zero reach stem and low seat. Just my opinion. Good luck on the build.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Don't take my post the wrong way. I think choice is great but you are asking for another choice when the first two are done sub par to begin with. Take for example Intense BMX frames. Because of the competitive nature of BMX racing, I have 11 frame sizes to choose from; mini, mini XL, junior, junior XL, expert, expert XL, junior pro, Pro, Pro XL, Pro XL+ and ProXXL. The separation between frames is 1/2-1" in top tube length. I can get my kid dialed in to exactly his size frame to be as efficient and comfortable as possible. I would rather see a manufacturer concentrate on offering higher levels of fit and higher level of components than to do another subpar offering in 22". If 22" was to be the new standard, I'm all for it but let's make sure we do that standard well.

    Also, it seems like a large jump from a 16" to a 24". Why not try the 20"? Or just build a smaller 24" with a zero reach stem and low seat. Just my opinion. Good luck on the build.
    He has a 20, no choice.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    . . . trying to bring in entirely new tire size to market. . . .
    I know what you mean . . . but just wanted to put a reminder out there that this tire size already exists. Just not common.


    Sunlite MTB Tire 22 x 1.75 Black/Black $9.33

    Amazon.com: Sunlite MTB Tire 22 x 1.75 Black/Black: Sports & Outdoors


    Sunlite Bicycle Tube 22 x 1.75 SCHRADER Valve
    Amazon.com: Sunlite Bicycle Tube 22 x 1.75 SCHRADER Valve: Sports & Outdoors

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    55
    My son just outgrew his 18" (actually maybe it's been outgrown for a while and I have just been blind) and I skipped 20" and got a trek 220. I love how you can adjust the crank to make the 24" bike fit a small rider. Personally I think a super adjustable 24" is a better option, at least financially, than a 22" ... fwiw, though, he doesn't even need the smaller setting. I was going to move the pedals to try it that way and he had a fit. "I'm tall for my age, it's FINE!"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,376
    A little update on this front. 22" wheel BMX bikes have been steadily growing in popularity in BMX over the last 6 years.

    I'd still be interested to know if any MTB companies will put them out as an in-between option for youth mtb.

    The Union – BMX » Insight: 22 Inch Wheels

    The Revenge 22" rim and the S&M Mainline 22" bmx tire are both easily available.
    Revenge BMX Wheel Black 22 inch Rim 36 Spokes s M Faction Induct Rims 22" | eBay

    If you put 22" wheels on a bike designed for 24"s, rim brakes obviously won't work, but there would be no problem for disc brakes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    A little update on this front. 22" wheel BMX bikes have been steadily growing in popularity in BMX over the last 6 years.

    I'd still be interested to know if any MTB companies will put them out as an in-between option for youth mtb.

    The Union – BMX » Insight: 22 Inch Wheels

    The Revenge 22" rim and the S&M Mainline 22" bmx tire are both easily available.
    Revenge BMX Wheel Black 22 inch Rim 36 Spokes s M Faction Induct Rims 22" | eBay

    If you put 22" wheels on a bike designed for 24"s, rim brakes obviously won't work, but there would be no problem for disc brakes.
    But you end up with the same issue as a XS 26er with 24 inch wheels, the rest of the frame is still too big- especially reach. So it goes back to why?

    It's one thing to offer adults several choices, it's another for kids that skip that 2 inch jump in a single winter. It's probably why kids bike have the 4 inch jumps 12-16-20-14-26. I based on my two kids, 18 and 22 wouldn't have accomplished anything for my kids.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    But you end up with the same issue as a XS 26er with 24 inch wheels, the rest of the frame is still too big- especially reach. So it goes back to why?

    It's one thing to offer adults several choices, it's another for kids that skip that 2 inch jump in a single winter. It's probably why kids bike have the 4 inch jumps 12-16-20-14-26. I based on my two kids, 18 and 22 wouldn't have accomplished anything for my kids.
    Fair enough.

    Ideally the bike would be built around 22" wheels (not just like putting 24"s on a 26" frame and fork).

    I guess 4" increments are most common, but 14" and 18" wheel bikes are definitely out there. In BMX, there are a lot of companies with 18"s.

    I understand the point about growing fast.... It seems like kids frequently have to face sizing problems that adults don't. (Like would we be okay with 24" or 28" but no 26"?)

    I get your point though. That's why I'm asking.... ; )

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,110
    FWIW, 18" has been a magic size for my kid as far as BMX bikes go. We've got a number of years out of his park bike where he was way too big for a 16" and not big enough for a 20". Though for the same period, he's been on a 24" for MTB; I think we probably would've gone with a 22" for MTB when he was younger; would probably fit similarly but roll along better than a 20".
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Similar Threads

  1. What wheelsets do yall use?
    By gijoetx in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
  3. 2-Cross wheel building. Answer to 29er wheel "problems"?
    By long hazy daze in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •