mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Would this bike be a good starting point for modifying?

Would this bike be a good starting point for modifying?-merida.jpgI've been so inspired by all the Hotrock custom build threads that I thought I would give it a go. I spotted this bike very cheap locally. It is a girls Merida Dakar 616. 16 inch wheel and I think 8 inch aluminium frame. I think it is 2009. It would be for my 2 year old who will probably be four-ish by the time he is big enough - his Specialized Hotrock 12 should last until then.

At the moment I know nothing about modifying bikes, but I have recently started bike maintenance classes and am willing to learn. I also have a 14 year old who reckons he knows what he is doing when it comes to customising bikes

I reckon if I start on a cheap enough bike then it doesn't really matter if it goes wrong. What I need to know is if this bike is a good starting point to make a decent bike? Obviously I would ideally import a Lil Shredder but that is unfortunately beyond my budget

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like a decent starting point if you can get it forcheap. Aluminum frame should be reasonably light. You might upgrade the steel seatpost, possibly go to MTB bars instead of BMX style.
    Looks like it probably has a (heavy) one piece cranks that might limit what you can easily do for weight reduction but the bike looks a bit better quality than a typical department store boat anchor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. It is probably going to cost less than $20 dollars to buy. I saw on here that the Redline Mini bars are cheap and light. And a seatpost is easy to replace (this doesn't sound tricky so far )

I'm hoping to tinker away at it for a year or so, learning as I go along.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got the bike, it cost me $25 dollars in the end (ebay)

Havok
    Nice work. This should be a lot of fun for you. Can't wait to see the results. Please snap some photos of each step in the process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks, certainly will do