mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Build for my boy: 2004 Kona Blast

So I took my 11 y/o son to a race this past weekend and he really got energized to ride mountain. I tried talking him into this about a year ago but he decided he wanted a Mongoose trick bike instead...what a waste of money that was because the bike itself is pretty much junk from the start.

Anyway, I have been watching craigslist and local shops looking for something that could be a good start. Pretty slim on the 24" bikes and most 26" are just too big- today though, I found a 2004 Kona Blast in an XS frame at a local pawn shop.

Structurally it is pretty sound but appearance and component wise it has been pretty well neglected. The 'shop' wants $100 for the bike but I would have to swap a lot of parts. Here is the list:
    -Seat is old and torn WTB Pure V =$24
    -Rear derelliuer cable is broke so needs to be replaced Cables about $20
    -Tires are pretty well shot. I have one so maybe $35
    -Pedals are clipless. I have a set of platforms $0
    -Brakes are pretty rough and V brakes. BB5s can be had for about $70

Total rehab: Call it about $150 for incidentals. Is it worth throwing this kind of money at this bike? I don't think a total price tag of $250 would be too bad but I'm looking for some other feedback to see if I'm just nuts.
    Last edited by OP4guy; 08-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I can't believe I didn't get any input but today I went and picked it up and started the rehab. Got it home, cleaned it up and started getting parts in line. Went by my local LBS and picked up a new tube, rear D cable and some basic pedal to replace the clipless Shimanos on it. From my own stuff I had a Hutchinson mosquito tire, Norco stem which is shorter and bar which is wider. Also found an old seat laying around to replace the torn up Serfas.

The liner brakes are crappy so I ordered a pair of Avid BB5 disc brakes which should be here this week. Still need to replace the rear tire but it will do for now. All together I will have about $190 wrapped up in this rehab. Not too bad and my boy should be happy. He saw me working on it and asked why I had another ike and I told him it wasn't mine and that I was working on it for someone else. He went in moaning to mom that it wasn't fair that dad gets another cool mountain bike. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worth the build: 2004 Kona Blast-kona.jpg