mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Winter riding gloves for 3-5 year olds?

I'm failing to find winter riding gloves for my 5 year old. He's small for his age, so his hands are probably typical of a 3-4 year old. Having found nothing made for biking, I've been looking at motorcross, kayaking, etc, sites but have yet to find anything that is small enough and warm enough.

We live in the Seattle area, so winter riding temperatures are 30 - 40 degrees F.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Unfortunately not. He has ski mittens already, and he really needs gloves for riding (hand brakes, no coaster, etc).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They say they have a grippy palm, and they sell them in our local bike shop - next time I'm in I'll have a look and see what I think. My tiny three year old wears motocross gloves, or on colder days just a basic pair of warm winter gloves. My 7 year old always just wears his motocross gloves, but he is one of those kids that never feels the cold!

They were wearing motocross gloves today and it was about 35 degrees by the time we got home and they didn't complain. Would it work if you bought a larger size of motocross glove and used a pair of woollen gloves underneath?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My kids have pogies. I make them from old winter coats. I sew the middle of the front to the middle of the back. The arm holes go on the handlebars and each half of the body is the hand part. I attached a photo, but I am not sure if it worked. The kids have toasty hands, but they can work the controls bare handed. The pogies are good bare-handed down to -20C (0F) or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Homemade pogies are a great idea. Then you can use summer riding gloves for kids. My 4 y.o. has Specialized summer gloves, I assume others exist too
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    My kids have pogies. I make them from old winter coats. I sew the middle of the front to the middle of the back. The arm holes go on the handlebars and each half of the body is the hand part. I attached a photo, but I am not sure if it worked. The kids have toasty hands, but they can work the controls bare handed. The pogies are good bare-handed down to -20C (0F) or so.
    Ah like this, but homemade Pogies ? Keeping the Digits Warm | FAT-BIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for bringing this subject up. In my experience, full finger biking gloves for kids are a problem. Giro seems to provide some options, but I doubt they are suitable for winter. Might be better than nothing:
    Remedy Jr. Kids Mountain Bike Gloves and Bike Gloves for Kids

I like the idea of pogies, thought about doing that myself. That would also solve the problem of gloves lost in kindergarten, school etc. However, it is probably a bit of overkill for the weather we encounter in our parts of Germany in winter, but Seattle is obviously a different story.

More smart thoughts: Guess it depends on what kind of riding you do. My daughter (6) bikes 8 km one way twice a day with lowest temperatures this winter having been around freezing. She uses skiing mittens. They work ok for keeping her fingers warm and she can use the brake levers with them. However, our commute is flat and basically no cars or obstacles, so for her, very little braking or shifting is necessary. Mittens probably don't cut it when you are doing more technical stuff, though. Smart thoughts over.

Cross Country gloves might be an option..,

Here are some options from a German company. No idea whether they are available in the US and no idea how they work, but I've had gloves from Roeckl and they were fine. They have a good reputation.

Roeckl Sports |*Winter*-*Biking*-*Products

Another option, if you like to shop scandinavian.
    Lillsport
    Hey, they have a distributor in vancouver, practically next door...

Ah, surfing outdoor sites...here is another x-country brand:
    SwixSport.com : SwixProduct / Gloves

Roeckl Sports |*Cross Country Skiing / Biathlon*-*Nordic sports*-*Products

Roeckl Sports |*Cross Country Skiing / Biathlon*-*Nordic sports*-*Products