mtbr member

Will I need a longer chain -- Megarange install

I'm in the process of installing a Shimano Megarange 14-34T freewheel on my daughters Hotrock 24. It has the stock 1x7 setup right now. I'll also be changing the rear derailleur to the Shimano Turney TX35.

Will a longer chain be needed to complete this?

Thanks,

ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Oh, let's see... You're going from a 28T to a 34T, so you're adding 3" of chain length there. Also, I *think* that the TZ-35 will have a little more chain wrap than the original derailleur.

Off of the top of my head, I *think* that you will need a new chain, but don't necessarily take that as a given. Give it a shot with the stock chain, see how it goes. Worst case, you drive over to the store and pick up a new chain.

mtbr member
    That is route I'm going to take. This project has been a lot of hit and miss for me and slow to complete as a result. I had to send back the TX35 and order a Acera M360 instead since the bike has a hanger. My mistake I know.

ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    That is route I'm going to take. This project has been a lot of hit and miss for me and slow to complete as a result. I had to send back the TX35 and order a Acera M360 instead since the bike has a hanger. My mistake I know.

ben
    So.... yours looked like the one here:

Shimano 'RD-TX35' 6 / 7-speed rear derailleur with mounting bracket ... RDTX35B - JMJ Cycles

Is that correct? If so, the RD-tx35 and other tourney derailleurs are available in "direct mount", as seen:

wiggle.com | Shimano RD-TX35 6/7-Speed Direct-Mount Rear Derailleur | Derailleurs Rear - MTB

In any event, hopefully the Acera works out for you. When I did my son's Hotrock 20 with the Megarange freewheel, I threw an RD-tx75 on with a Acera trigger shifter, and it worked great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

ben
    So, I'm guessing that you bought one that already has a slot that fits around the axle, correct? The RD-tx35 does come in a "direct mount" variant that will bolt to the hanger. It looks like you've got a double-hanger, but that's how the original derailleurs are as well. Either way, hopefully the M360 will work.

On my son's Hotrock 20, I did the RD-TX75 and an Acera trigger shifter to go with the Megarange freewheel.

mtbr member
    Yes, you are right. I'm also hoping the Acera will work out well. It should as long as it mounts up good to the existing hanger.

I'm also changing out the shifter. Don't have the info on the one I ordered at the moment though. I'm actually working on two Hotrock 24" bikes for my two girls, but one is a 24 speed so, different parts and build. Gets hard to keep track of everything that is on order and what will work and won't.

Thanks for the help.

ben

mtbr member
    So I wrapped the chain around the 34T or tried, without the RD, and it isn't long enough to even get on the cog completely. So, had to order a new chain.

The M360 RD mounted right up fine on the hanger, so that looks promising.

On another note, I noticed that the main chainring is actually screwed on by 5 phillips head screws rather than riveted on, so there may be the possibility of changing that later if necessary to further lower the gearing.

Funny Story: My daughter, who just turned 12 today, comes in to see the progress on her bike. She knows that I've had to buy one thing after the next through some trial and error, all in an ultimate effort to make the bike a bit better for her. I tell her I'm going to have order a new chain and she responds very cleverly, "Wouldn't you be better off just buying a new bike." LMFAO

ben

mtbr member
    So the saga continues...

I got a new chain, measured, cut, and mounted it. Shifting was going good through the taller gears, but it was shifting onto the 34T. The B-screw on the RD needed to be turned in, but the stock screw wasn't long enough so I installed a longer one.

Unfortunately, this did not end well. Two factors contributed to failure:

-- The RD hanger is made of soft aluminum and as the screw got turned in beyond the stock length the tip of the screw started to walk inboard toward the freewheel. If I had realized this earlier I might have been able to drill a better pocket hole in the hanger for the screw to sit in.
    -- The bracket on the RD where the B-screw threads is made of soft aluminum and was bending under the pressure and ultimately stripped out.

This bike improvement project is turning out to be more frustration that it is worth. I know I shouldn't let these little things get to me, but now I'm going to need to buy a new RD and a RD hanger. I think I may just let the bike shop sort it out for me at this point.

ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    So the saga continues...

I got a new chain, measured, cut, and mounted it. Shifting was going good through the taller gears, but it was shifting onto the 34T. The B-screw on the RD needed to be turned in, but the stock screw wasn't long enough so I installed a longer one.

Unfortunately, this did not end well. Two factors contributed to failure:

-- The RD hanger is made of soft aluminum and as the screw got turned in beyond the stock length the tip of the screw started to walk inboard toward the freewheel. If I had realized this earlier I might have been able to drill a better pocket hole in the hanger for the screw to sit in.
    -- The bracket on the RD where the B-screw threads is made of soft aluminum and was bending under the pressure and ultimately stripped out.

This bike improvement project is turning out to be more frustration that it is worth. I know I shouldn't let these little things get to me, but now I'm going to need to buy a new RD and a RD hanger. I think I may just let the bike shop sort it out for me at this point.

ben
    Heh. Sometimes, things happen.

Wheels Mfg. hangers are good, and Jenson had them on clearance for $10 recently, IIRC. Might be worth checking in to. If anything, the Wheels Mfg. hangers have seemed to be stronger than the factory to me.

Still, letting the store take care of it is totally legit as well. Whatever makes the experience the best for you and your kiddo.