Registered Dietitian

Will any trailer fit on my Trek Superfly carbon hardtail?

Without damaging the frame?

My 15-month-old daughter loves to ride in the cheap Schwinn trailer her grandparents picked up from a yard sale for her... but it only fits on my wife's MTB due to the dropout mount. This thing would mangle my Superfly's frame. Any ideas of something (nice) that will get us rolling on Daddy's bike instead?
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I hooked up my Burley trailer to that same bike this weekend. Didn't notice any issues with the mount messing with the dropouts, but it isn't a brand new bike, so I wasn't being very fastidious. I'll try to look at it in the morning to see if it looks like the mount is doing anything nefarious.

mtbr member
    I have an ibis mojo that I hooked a burley up to. You have to get a different mount for the disc brakes but it works well without issue. Instead of hooking to the frame. The skewer goes through a bracket.

I have a Burley, but from what I can tell looking at the Schwinn owner's manual, the Schwinn attachment isn't fundamentally much different. Does this manual represent what you have? Schwinn Manual Hitch attachment is to the rear axle. You're always going to have the nylon safety strap around the chainstay, regardless of manufacturer, in case of hitch failure. The Burley hitch looks like this: Burley hitch photo Burley trailers come new with two hitch options, but if you buy the trailer used, you can still get the standard hitch for about $20 aftermarket. Burley's classic hitch is full of fail: Burley hitch options

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    I have a Burley, but from what I can tell looking at the Schwinn owner's manual, the Schwinn attachment isn't fundamentally much different. Does this manual represent what you have? Schwinn Manual Hitch attachment is to the rear axle. You're always going to have the nylon safety strap around the chainstay, regardless of manufacturer, in case of hitch failure. The Burley hitch looks like this: Burley hitch photo Burley trailers come new with two hitch options, but if you buy the trailer used, you can still get the standard hitch for about $20 aftermarket. Burley's classic hitch is full of fail: Burley hitch options
    Looking at the Schwinn manual, we are missing the "tab washer" piece. I had simply attached the coupler plate directly to the dropout under the QR lever head. This worked OK for one ride on my wife's older steel hardtail, though I now know it wasn't as intended. I doubt it would fail if used this way, but it's certainly rougher on the dropout, and I of course want to use it as intended going forward.

Looks like the tab washer will move the coupler plate out from the dropout, allowing it to stay clear of the carbon on my Superfly. I'll try it tonight and report back.

Thanks for the help!
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good info. I will be purchasing a trailer soon to take my twin girls out for rides. Right now I have a Cannondale aluminum frame homegrown but I am looking into getting a 29er.