mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Why is a tricycle like this hard to find in the US?

The design on this tricycle doesn't look so complicated.
    http://www.bikemania.biz/child-and-p...peed-tricycle/

The multi-speed drivetrain and drum rear brake (as opposed to coaster brake) makes this trike so easy to use.

Why can't tricycle makers here in the US produce something like this?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    because this is 'murica!!!!!!!

why would you ride your kids around like that after god invented the internal combustion engine?

but, seriously, a more pressing question is why is that kid not riding her own bike?
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    Demand and niche market. This seems like something one may find at a family resort or campground that rents bikes to its patrons. I think most people try to find something that will allow them to carry kids with what they already have. Adult tricycles are a niche market for those who are typically unable to ride a traditional 2 wheeler for whatever reason or want something that has more stability for additional loads. Really the only difference is that this trike comes with seats instead of a bin or basket.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    complexity is never the reason something isn't produced. If it were there would be no such thing as computers or cell phones.

The reason is the people investing money designing, building and/or importing them don't think there's a market for it at the price point. I'm inclined to agree here: $1200 is a lot of money for someone who would be satisfied with the performance of that thing, and the performance is going to be pretty low for someone that's ok with spending that much. And it'll get at most a year or 2 of use before your kids are too big for it.

you really think they'd fly out the door of a bike shop at that price? If you could figure out a way to sell it for 1/4 that, maybe..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can picture the carnage when that thing inevitably high-sides when attempting to corner at any speed beyond a dismal wobbling crawl. Mom's gonna wish she wore something sturdier than sandals at that point. And maybe pants of some sort.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Why is a tricycle like this hard to find in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    complexity is never the reason something isn't produced. If it were there would be no such thing as computers or cell phones.

The reason is the people investing money designing, building and/or importing them don't think there's a market for it at the price point. I'm inclined to agree here: $1200 is a lot of money for someone who would be satisfied with the performance of that thing, and the performance is going to be pretty low for someone that's ok with spending that much. And it'll get at most a year or 2 of use before your kids are too big for it.

you really think they'd fly out the door of a bike shop at that price? If you could figure out a way to sell it for 1/4 that, maybe..
    And these trike makers think there's more people interested in something like this? http://www.dingbikes.com/products/bobbsey
    Yeah, and even more expensive than the one in my original post.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Look for pedicabs or similar.
    Worksman Cycles has trikes cheaper than your link.
    Walmart.com even has trikes at shockingly cheap.
    Remove the rear baskets and plop on a seat, rear facing just over the axle would probably lower the CG.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Why is a tricycle like this hard to find in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Look for pedicabs or similar.
    Worksman Cycles has trikes cheaper than your link.
    Walmart.com even has trikes at shockingly cheap.
    Remove the rear baskets and plop on a seat, rear facing just over the axle would probably lower the CG.
    Worksman Cycles trike of similar design is $400 more expensive, and uses coaster brake that my wife hates.

My wife currently has the Wal-Mart trike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Demand and niche market. This seems like something one may find at a family resort or campground that rents bikes to its patrons. I think most people try to find something that will allow them to carry kids with what they already have. Adult tricycles are a niche market for those who are typically unable to ride a traditional 2 wheeler for whatever reason or want something that has more stability for additional loads. Really the only difference is that this trike comes with seats instead of a bin or basket.
    I see people all time with the add on drag along kid(and dog) cab at a local park. I know those are not cheap items either. Sure do agree, it would be great for rentals with little tots on hand. It should be a good thing, but would require a person to have 2 bikes, one for kid day and one for self riding.