Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where can I get a 24" wheel MTB with disc brakes before Xmas?

I can't find one anywhere. I saw one on CL a while ago and it was gone in hours. Searching Nashbar, Ebay, performance, and I got nuthin.

I am looking for Kona Jr,, Giant 24 STP, anything with gears, front forks and disc brakes. I would rather not get a Grom, they are too heavy and expensive.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
    My kid just isn't big enough for a 26, and he loves his Specialized 20, but he is having so much fun he deserves an upgrade.

Please PM me with any ideas or if you have one for sale in Nor Cal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where can I get a 24" wheel MTB with disc brakes before Xmas?-d-bike-0908-2m.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm in the same boat you are. Pickings are slim.

Seems like all the ones on Pinkbike are in Canada, and owned by teens who aren't very good at answering questions.

Kicking myself for not getting that Kona Shred 2-4 for $250 on CL a few weeks back. Just couldn't make the 2 hours drive to get it at the time.

Whats worse is my son seems to be right in the middle for size. (4'6") A lot of the stand overs for 24 bikes just seem too tall, and the 20" bikes seem too small.

How old is your son? Getting some pretty nice air there.

turtles make me hot
    I just grabbed a 24" GF Tyro off Craigslist and I'm lacin' up wheels and installing 1X9 and discs before Christmas. Did you try a bike shop?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    A guy in Portland Oregon has a Specialized Grom for $600. Its the newer style purple frame.

mtbr member
    The kid is 12 now, that pic is when he was 10 or so.

Any of the Kona 24s seem to fly off the shelves around here, There is a Specialized Grom for $700, but they are about 36 pounds. I don't want to pay that much for something not so practical for him.

I have thought about lacing up hubs, most of the 24 are 32h, and most if the frames are actually disc ready.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    There's a PGrom brand new here in SoCal for $500 (Fullerton Bike Shop), and A Bighit grom for $300 on CL.

My budget is about $300. The Bighit just seems too big.

He's 10 and on a 20" in that pic? Maybe I should be looking for a 20"...

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm actually going to take a look and see if I can fins a Specialized MYKA. Its a WSD geometry which might be a good fit for someone that may be a bit small for a regular XS 26" bike.
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Myka Disc

Retail is $520 w/ disc

Wēk Ss
    expensive new

KHS Alite 24
    Kona Stinky 24
    Kona Kula 24
    Kona Shred 24 (not expensive but heavy)

You can build your own before Christmas, for sure, just costs $$$.

Why disc? You'd have more options with V-brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd go buy a XS 26er and have them relace the wheels to a 24 inch rim. Think it'll be a better value in the long run.

Or you can get this ridiculously overpriced used Stinky Kona Stinky 2-4 24" Kids Youth Full Suspension Mountain Bike 13" | eBay

I wish I had the money to get my son this and throw a paint job on it
    Pivot Mach 4 XS Shimano XT Shifters Disc Brakes Ritchey WCS Seatpost Stem | eBay
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There's a new but older Gromrock at Best Bike Zone in Paso Robles,CA for 500 bucks. It's not on their site but it's on the floor.I just looked at it this week (too big for my boy) ............ I'm sure they'll ship

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    dbl. post
    Last edited by Aaronn; 11-18-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: dbl.post

mtbr member
    The reason for discs is because he thinks they're cool. Of course I don't help, by changing my rotors and talking about how much I like the new ones, or saying how much I like my Shimano juice brakes compared to my Avids.

I definitely will miss sitting down and showing how to tweek the spokes so the brakes work better, and why you always point the pads in just a little bit, and that's what makes the squeeking go away.

We're going to hit the LBS again, which does ruin the Xmas surprise a a bit.

"Ok we are going to the bike shop (again) and you are going to sit on a shiny new bike, and I am going to make you bend your knees, and then you are going to put the bike back and we will leave without buying anything." Yeah right, nothing sneaky going on here...

We will just revisit the 13" frame 26, but I tell you, when he sits on the thing, the stem looks level with his head

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm actually going to take a look and see if I can fins a Specialized MYKA. Its a WSD geometry which might be a good fit for someone that may be a bit small for a regular XS 26" bike.

Retail is $520 w/ disc
    This is the bike I'm getting for my 9yr old! He is 52" tall and the bike fits him purfect with a low stand over of 25.5". He tried one at a LBS but it was rim brake, I now have 3 LBS in a price war for the disc model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    FYI- It looks like the 26" Specialized Myka XS has a lower stand over then the Giant STP 24". Well the one I just looked up anyway. And the reach is only 14.25" stand over 25.59" for the Myka.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Marin used to have a model with discs, but not since 2010 (must not have been able to move enough of them). Got my son a bike that year but went with the rim brakes instead. Maybe you can find one of these used or NOS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I can't find one anywhere. I saw one on CL a while ago and it was gone in hours. Searching Nashbar, Ebay, performance, and I got nuthin.

I am looking for Kona Jr,, Giant 24 STP, anything with gears, front forks and disc brakes. I would rather not get a Grom, they are too heavy and expensive.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
    My kid just isn't big enough for a 26, and he loves his Specialized 20, but he is having so much fun he deserves an upgrade.

Please PM me with any ideas or if you have one for sale in Nor Cal
    Here you go, this will do the trick. They make good bikes. Also check out the Spire model as well.OPUS - FEVER 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Here you go, this will do the trick. They make good bikes. Also check out the Spire model as well.OPUS - FEVER 2012
    Nice, but for $650, I'd got 26XS that they can grow into a bigger wheel size with
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I've never seen one of these, though I've heard of it. They don't have retailers in California or other states I've checked. Are they Canada only? The bikes look nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I've never seen one of these, though I've heard of it. They don't have retailers in California or other states I've checked. Are they Canada only? The bikes look nice.
    Not sure if they are only in Canada. I do know the "Dealer finder" on their website doesn't work. I have two Opus dealers in my town & when I checked with the dealer finder it told me I have none
    Nicely speced bike & I'm sure this is the lightest disc brake 24" bike going.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    That's nice.

Intentionally long chainstays. Interesting. Rapidfire shifters, very good.

I am not familiar with that fork, I will have to do some research.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My kid has the 50 mm version on his 20 in. Marin hidden canyon:

SPINNER IND. CO., LTD.

I believe its a coil-sprung fork......good enough for a kid's bike......
    Last edited by osmarandsara; 11-20-2011 at 06:22 PM.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Have you tried looking at your local classified adds on craigslist?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by geek81 View Post
    It's a 26" dirt jump/park bike. It's heavy, 30-35lbs. It's not what should be targeted for a kid that weighs 50-60lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It's a 26" dirt jump/park bike. It's heavy, 30-35lbs. It's not what should be targeted for a kid that weighs 50-60lbs.
    Yeah, thought about weight (think it's about 32 for the 14), but it seems most of the bikes in the $300 range are that weight?

Thinking I could lighten it up swapping a few things from my parts bin, and changing out the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Better off looking for a 2010 Hardrock disc on closeout in a 13 inch frame.
    DJ bikes still tend to have long tt lengths for their size.

Specialized Bicycle Components : Hardrock Disc
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

I've been looking for one of those since 2010!

I've even posted "wanted" ads on craigslist. If you think the dumbass losers are trying to sell junk on CL, try posting a "wanted" ad.....

I communicated with Opus bikes in Canada, and they have no network in the US, so I would have to buy from Vancouver and pay duties.

I have just added pics to my Craigslist "wanted" ad to filter the people who have been watching "American Pickers" too much.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by squareback; 11-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I've even posted "wanted" ads on craigslist. If you think the dumbass losers are trying to sell junk on CL, try posting a "wanted" ad.....

I communicated with Opus bikes in Canada, and they have no network in the US, so I would have to buy from Vancouver and pay duties.

I have just added pics to my Craigslist "wanted" ad to filter the people who have been watching "American Pickers" too much.

Yea I gave up on CL, one person posts up a good bike, like Specialized for a $1500-$2000, then every moron with a 12 year old Specialized lists them thinking their worth $800 or more.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

I wouldn't rule out getting an Opus out of Van. I live in Western Canada and had to go all the way to Nevada to find a Scott Spark RC jr. 2 years ago, it was well worth it getting him
    on the best bike/size possible. If your son has to have discs nothing is going to touch that Opus for XC performance. If you can talk him out of the discs, I'd go Scott Scale RC jr.
    I'm sure you'd get alot of your money out of the Opus when you sell it & it will probably be gone in a day or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slammedsled View Post
    This is the bike I'm getting for my 9yr old! He is 52" tall and the bike fits him purfect with a low stand over of 25.5". He tried one at a LBS but it was rim brake, I now have 3 LBS in a price war for the disc model.
    Lucky you..... can't even find one locally to see if it will fit my son.

Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I believe it's only 1 inch longer than the Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I believe it's only 1 inch longer than the Hardrock
    1 inch makes a world of difference for an adult, what do you think it will do when trying to fit a child on an adult bike?
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    1 inch makes a world of difference for an adult, what do you think it will do when trying to fit a child on an adult bike?
    This kid is about the same size as my son, fit doesn't seem to bad. The way my son is growing, by Christmas he'll probably be the same size.

lets see some komodo's

Going to go check them out, if it fits it fits, if not, I'll keep watching CL.

mtbr member
    I am strongly considering the Komodo for my oldest after he grows another inch or two. It's a little heavy, but could be brought down pretty easily.

I am also very intrigued with the new Misfit diSSent KD for kids: Misfit Psycles diSSent ALC KD Junior 26 Frame

It's not going to be available before Christmas, though. The Myka is really one of the best deals. Lower standover than the Rockhopper or Hardrock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan View Post

Retail is $520 w/ disc
    Also check out the Jamis Durango. It's a 26" bike but the smallest mens model geometry looks pretty decent and the WSD model is even a bit smaller:

Specialized Myka 13": center of BB to TT is 13", effective TT length is 20.67", standover is 25.6"
    Jamis Durango mens13": center of BB to TT is 11.81" - effective TT length is 21.96", standover is 28.19"
    Jamis Durango womens 12": center of BB to TT is 11.22" - effective TT length is 20.87", standover is 27.83"

Michael

rebmem rbtm

Frame for 99

Rekens are on sale for 99 bucks

Effective Top Tube Length 22.05"/56cm
    Actual Top Tube Length 21.46"/54.5cm
    Stand Over Height 25.23"/64.1cm

So to build it up before Christmas with 24" wheels would take some work (and $$) depending on parts on hand....

mtbr member
    The Opus Fever 24 is a nice bike, but $740 Canadian, plus shipping and import duties.

Nashbar has a 13 inch 26 disc bike for $309, and it has "size-specific" componentry. (35mm stem 165mm cranks, soft fork spring)

mtbr member
    There's a PGrom brand new here in SoCal for $500 (Fullerton Bike Shop), and A Bighit grom for $300 on CL.

My budget is about $300. The Bighit just seems too big.

He's 10 and on a 20" in that pic? Maybe I should be looking for a 20"...
    @geek81 Given your budget, and the size issue, you might want to check out a Raleigh Scout XC or Mountain Scout -- the boy's frame kind of dips down to make stand-over lower. Got one for my tall 6 year old son, and he loves it.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    I also just saw this Torker Alpental, which has a similar dip in the frame, and is around your price:
    TORKER ALPENTAL 24" MOUNTAIN BIKE BLUE BICYCLE 21 SPEED - 2011 - 13 XS | eBay
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Heres a great 24" disc. These are hitting KHS dealers right now.

KHS ALITE 24

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its a shame you have to have by Christmas. One thing this thread has done is reaffirm my decision to build vs. buy.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

Wēk Ss
    Yeah, thought about weight (think it's about 32 for the 14), but it seems most of the bikes in the $300 range are that weight?

Thinking I could lighten it up swapping a few things from my parts bin, and changing out the fork.
    For $300 I'd just look for a Specialized Hotrock 24. You'll find them more plentiful at the start of spring. Depending on the area, $100-$150 will net you a bike around 26-27lbs stock, instead of $300 on a bike that will require modifications from the start.

Wēk Ss
    Its a shame you have to have by Christmas. One thing this thread has done is reaffirm my decision to build vs. buy.
    Yep! We're both doing that. The only bikes I would consider buying are the KHS Alite 24, and the Kona Kula 24. Both well over $600 USD. The Kona Kula 24 is a nice build with Shimano hydraulic brakes and SLX rear derailleur, and sounds like the Opus spec-wise.

I would wait on the purchase, to be honest. I know the desire to have to buy something, but it's better to wait it out and get something else for X-Mas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep! We're both doing that. The only bikes I would consider buying are the KHS Alite 24, and the Kona Kula 24. Both well over $600 USD. The Kona Kula 24 is a nice build with Shimano hydraulic brakes and SLX rear derailleur, and sounds like the Opus spec-wise.

I would wait on the purchase, to be honest. I know the desire to have to buy something, but it's better to wait it out and get something else for X-Mas.
    And as we mentioned, my son's bike will be $600-$700, but speced out a lot better than any of those prebuilts
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member

FYI...I was at me LBS and the Alite 24 lists for $500....out the door for less.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    Sweet! I tried to find one last year, but didn't have much luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    Well area will play into it. None of my area shops stock a nice 24 because they don't sell.

I had to order my son's Marin 20 inch.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

Wēk Ss
    And as we mentioned, my son's bike will be $600-$700, but speced out a lot better than any of those prebuilts
    The deals you got makes me envious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Picked up my sons bike today. Went to get the Specialized Myka disc the guy said "I can get you a deal on the Hardrock sport disc" The Myka disk was $520.00, he gave me the Hardrock sport disc for $475.00, down from $630.00! I wanted the Myka 26" wheel 13" frame because I knew my 9yr old would fit it, the guy took alot of time measuring it to show me they were very close in size. Anyone in the Atlanta area I recommend Outback Bikes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast