Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    I realized that I was constantly pushing my family. Pushing them to go to races, ride things they were scared of, talking about the obstacle that I wanted them to try on the upcoming ride etc. I didn't mean to do it, I was just in the mode that I am usually in with adult (usually male) riders. Maybe this is ok for some kids/spouses, but recently I took the pressure off. We have skipped the last few races, and we ride for fun. I don't stress about them "getting better" on each ride and I just let things happen on their terms. Huge difference. My son, especially, is doing a lot of things I would be pushing him to do anyway, but on his own terms and pace, and it's doing wonders for his confidence and self esteem in regards to riding. Just my 2˘ for the moment....
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For years I asked my wife to try mt biking. Never happened. Then this past summer she and I went to Helen, GA fo a few days without the kids. While we were there we went to Woody's mt bikes and signed up for a ride. 15 miles of forest service roads, 65% down hill. We did it in 5 hours. Within the first two she was having a blast. 2 days later she wanted to ride again an I was the one that said, the dirt roads are wet and we will have a 3 hour drive in muddy wet cloths. She agreed as long as we got to ride at home.

Fast forward 4 months later and my mt bike fund is very low and I still have no new bike. Instead we have a specialized for her, another one for my 10 yr old, and a trail a bike fo the 5 yr old. A geared 17" framed bike my 14 yr old rides which we are actively looking at Craigslist for one for her. As a bonus I get to ride a lot more.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    For years I asked my wife to try mt biking. Never happened. Then this past summer she and I went to Helen, GA fo a few days without the kids. While we were there we went to Woody's mt bikes and signed up for a ride. 15 miles of forest service roads, 65% down hill. We did it in 5 hours. Within the first two she was having a blast. 2 days later she wanted to ride again an I was the one that said, the dirt roads are wet and we will have a 3 hour drive in muddy wet cloths. She agreed as long as we got to ride at home.

Fast forward 4 months later and my mt bike fund is very low and I still have no new bike. Instead we have a specialized for her, another one for my 10 yr old, and a trail a bike fo the 5 yr old. A geared 17" framed bike my 14 yr old rides which we are actively looking at Craigslist for one for her. As a bonus I get to ride a lot more.
    I'm in exactly the same boat. This year, I built a new bike for my son, my stepson and my wife. Meanwhile, my fatbike is just a frame and fork.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone have tips on how to even get a spouse interested? Currently, my wife seems "terrified" of mountain biking...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For me riding is something that I just do, kind of like breathing. I can't remember not having some kind of bike, I started riding mountain bikes when I was 13, now at 34 my kids ride with me on almost every ride. My oldest son, Jake, started when he was 10 and saw the Red Bull Rampage. I got him a bike and we started on easy trails, but now at 12 he rides just about anything. He tried XC racing but, he is not a real competative kid. Jake loves All Mountain and Gravity riding, he also loves dirt jumping.

This is him at some local jumps.

When Jake started to ride, my daughter Ryan felt left out and begged to come with us. She would roll out the Disney Princess bike and say she was ready, I'd say no, she'd cry. I told her if she could make it around the paved Back Bay loop I would start taking her too, she did it at 6 years old and in the last two years she has gotten to the point that she can ride almost any trail we go on. She had fun her first year riding, but this summer at 8 years old she found XC racing. Discovering that she could win (she really likes to win) flipped the switch to get her on the harder trails.

My youngest son Conner is just starting out, but he has fun. He doesn't really like to push himself and is kind of a chicken, but he is only 6. He goes to the jumps with us and crusies around, by summer he will be ready for some of the beginner trails.

My wife is a marathon runner. She is in great shape, but she is really afraid of falling. I've gotten her to go out with me once, and it was not too bad. If she ever gets comfortable on a bike I'm going to have to really start training.

With the kids I have found that if they see that I am willing to sacrafice my riding time to ride at their pace, then they have been willing to push that pace a little. I have also seen that I have to approach each kid differently. Jake doesn't like competition, it makes him nervous and he gets upset so I don't push it, but he likes to try gnarly stuff so we do. He is also a thinker so if he wants to scope something out before trying it I let him take his time and feel comfortable, when he does this he usually will make it. Ryan lives for competition, it doesn't matter if it's a race or her grades in school, she is driven to be the best. When she is with me we make it a competition I'll tell her "beat me up this hill" or "let's catch that guy who just passed us." With Conner I just let him do his thing right now and try to make sure he is having fun. The other thing that I have found motivating to my kids was finding other dad's and kids to ride with, we have a group that meets on Wednesday afternoons that is parents and kids. Some times it's just my kids and I and some times we have five dad's, one mom, and 10-13 kids. I'm trying to get my wife to ride with some of the women I know, but she is very hesitant because she is afraid she can't keep up with them. Once I talk her into riding with them and they give her some coaching that I can't I think she will be on her way to joining us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the rundown Longboarderj. Every kid is different (and so is every wife. Though I only have one…) My son, at 12, was marginally interested in biking as a regular activity until this school year. I did have to kind of push him into it, but his school has a “multisports” program and he is now riding 30-60 miles a week over 2-3 days and absolutely loves it. He’s not much into competition and has not been in a race yet (we’ve done some organized, themed fun rides, though – just nothing timed) but he’s way into it. Keeps him fit and is another way to meet peers outside of class. And he has that sense, if he missed a day during the week, that he really wants to get out and make it up over the weekend. He’s primarily into road riding, which is fine. I have a road bike, though mtbing is my passion. Still, we get out together every weekend or so for a 15 plus mile ride. Its been a perfect combination of doing something “like dad” but still having his own thing through the road riding. It suits him better anyway – he doesn’t have the quickest reactions and often ends up in a bush when we ride trails…

My 7 year old daughter is a different story. VERY competitive personality. She’s very coordinated and into physical activities but needs a new bike. I went out with the kids last weekend and we all had a blast. My daughter kept telling me that there weren’t enough bumps or turns or downhills, so I can tell already she will be the mtb rider in the family together with me. So, as the holidays approach, I am looking for a new bike for her (her knees practically hit the bars on her current bike). Saw a Giant 7 spd with 20inch wheels that looks interesting/promising ($80 obo on CL).

My wife was a big commuter biker when we met. She still rides around town for errands and some work (she mainly works from home but has an office she needs to get to about once a week) but not so much for pleasure on the weekends. I tried to get her out on a bikepacking trip earlier this year, but she wasn’t feeling it. She swims and does yoga and other gym stuff, so at least she isn’t sitting on the couch. Part of it is she had a rather bad bike accident about 2 years ago and broke her arm. I keep trying to tell her that’s why trail riding is so great – no cars. But she isn’t buying it. Yet. We’ll see…

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul82 View Post
    Anyone have tips on how to even get a spouse interested? Currently, my wife seems "terrified" of mountain biking...
    IMO, small, small steps at first. Find a nice paved trail where you can just go for an easy ride without any dirt or cars. Maybe make a date out of it. Get a babysitter and the two of you go for a nice easy ride in the evening, enjoy each others company and the outdoors. Make it as easy as possible. Then go out to dinner or whatever ya'll enjoy. Then don't push, but if she shows any further interest make it happen as quickly and easily as possible. Good luck.

If she goes riding 3-4 times stop by a bike store casually. Then if she likes a jersey, or gloves or whatever make the investment...
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3