Endo King

What speed do you travel at with a bike trailer?

Kind of curious about this. I seen one post where this person was towing pretty fast. Faster than my gut tells me I would with my GD.

How about you? How fast do you usually tow yours?

Thanks.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Average of 15-16mph taken up to 22mph.

I just let one RIP
    Never took the trailer very fast. Most of them state not to exceed 10 - 15 mph or so. I did, however, take the trail-a-bike pretty fast once. Down a really steep hill, and I was braking pretty hard, we hit 37 mph. Thankfully, they're very stable, so it wasn't even really scary.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member

With out Chariot....

We'd go 15-20, faster on DH... now the kids are too big and it's for sale.

Chariots are very sturdy and have a low center of gravity. There are different models, but the one we have has fairly good wheels and bearings and secures to the frame very well, so it's easy to go fast (though not so much uphill with 2 kids !).

My 8yo son goes as fast as he can at all times on his 20" MTB (soon to switch to 24")

My 5yo daughter rides the tag a long and constantly yells at me to go faster...

mtbr member
    Are you guys on dirt? Or pavement?
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

Endo King
    Most of my trips have been on paved trails with a few minor excursions on wider trails. Paved bike trails I haven't done better than 15 maybe 17 mph tops. Maybe after she's a bit older I'll try go a bit faster.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    When I was towing 15mph tops. Have to take into consideration braking. Once had to brake hard to avoid kids on the bike path, after that didn't feel comfortable going fast.

I suppose depends on how stable towing bike is, I was on my road bike which wasn't the ideal puller bike.

mtbr member
    I use an older hard tail MTB with disc brakes because I think the discs help manage the extra momentum of the trailer or tag-along.

On dirt, I'm pretty slow, but it feel like I get a good resistance workout. On flat pavement, 15mph is sustainable.

David
    Feb 2009
    Chariot cougar1: low center of gravity, rolls good, keeps straight line. With 30lbs (14kg) 2yo:
    - on level paved surfaces: 20mph,
    - on forest smooth pahts with some roots, stones and small rocks: up to 15mph,
    - on paved smooth road (asphalt) down the slope: 40mph no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a Columbia trailer and regularly pull both my girls(2&5) 20ish on bike paths around town. You get some pretty nasty looks when you pass someone pulling 2 kids close to 80 lbs. with trailer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I generally go (on the road) 15-17mph, but have been upto 21!

I would like to see how fast I can take it, but perhaps not with my son in it!

mtbr member
    Did about 12-13mph average on curvy meter wide gravel tracks with the Croozer 737 in tow. It's very stable and controllable at speeds. I expected it to pull by C-dale from side to side as I took the curves but to my surprise, no. These high end trailers are worth every cent if you want to enjoy towing your kids around. You can pick up a decent second hand one from eBay etc.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com