mtbr member
    Sep 2012

What should I be telling my kids to do on a balance bike?

I got both of my kids balance bikes. Is there any exercises that I should have them do.

I've been having him shove off and get it going quick then lift his feet up and roll for a while, or have him go downhill and lift his feet. He still isn't comfortable with it yet.

Is there any advice as to what I should tell him to do?

mtbr member
    Yes.........tell him/her to HAVE FUN!

If it's not fun he/she won't want any part of it.

Edited: for the girls.
    Last edited by knoob; 01-14-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    yes.........tell him to have fun!

If it's not fun he won't want any part of it.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We've definitely been having fun!!

Just looking to see if there is something we could practice to speed him along....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It has taken my son quite a while to catch on too. I completely understand your wanting to speed things up. I had him sit on the seat and just walk along thinking eventually he would become more comfortable and start pushing himself a little farther and start coasting/gliding more. I'd even sit on my bike and walk along with him. It's almost like he didn't understand what he was supposed to do and would soon loose interest. Last fall I took him to the local bike park which has a pump track. When he saw it he got so excited. Within no time he was walking up a roller, picking up his feet and coasting down the other side. He had a blast and it really helped him understand that he can move along on the bike without using his feet so munch. Good luck with things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Fun is very important.
    Maybe an older sibling or neighborhood kid, that you can coach easier, could ride it for a bit and show them how it works. Also left to their own devices, while "riding" in the driveway with friends it may just click. You can't always teach it but expose them to various situations and eventually one will catch.

My daughter could ride the balance bike in the street with her older brother, but she couldn't balance a scooter. Then she went on to a 16" pedal bike and was only doing OK with it and wasn't too keen on it. Balance bike sold. All of a sudden she picked up the scooter and was fine. Weeks later, circled back to the bike and is fine there too now.

No Stranger to danger....
    Tell them to balance....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

turtles make me hot
    My son didn't get what the balance bike was about. I actually got on, pushed off and somehow got my feet up high enough to coast a few feet. Once he saw me do it, he said I can do that!.
    We coasted around for 30-40 minutes and then went right to the two wheeler.
    Fasted transition I've ever seen.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by haager View Post
    It has taken my son quite a while to catch on too. I completely understand your wanting to speed things up. I had him sit on the seat and just walk along thinking eventually he would become more comfortable and start pushing himself a little farther and start coasting/gliding more. I'd even sit on my bike and walk along with him. It's almost like he didn't understand what he was supposed to do and would soon loose interest. Last fall I took him to the local bike park which has a pump track. When he saw it he got so excited. Within no time he was walking up a roller, picking up his feet and coasting down the other side. He had a blast and it really helped him understand that he can move along on the bike without using his feet so munch. Good luck with things.
    I started him off on training wheels........ I think that set him back a little on the balance bike. I think I'll take the pedals off my bike and push around with him!!

I'm not worried about my two year old!! We're starting her off on her own balance bike and she will do whatever my boy does!!! Once he's on his own, she'll be right behind him.

Lord Thunderbottom
    My 4 year old is the same way, he has a strider and wants to walk it more than "stride" or coast, he can pedal a 16" bike with training wheels no issue and understands both coaster and hand brakes but just doesn't seem to have the desire to balance

I recently brought the balance bike in the house since it's snow outside and he's been cruising around the house and trying to see how long he can keep his feet off the ground now, both coasting and standing still, any amount of time he spends on it is fine with me, eventually it will just click

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    My 4 year old is the same way, he has a strider and wants to walk it more than "stride" or coast, he can pedal a 16" bike with training wheels no issue and understands both coaster and hand brakes but just doesn't seem to have the desire to balance

I recently brought the balance bike in the house since it's snow outside and he's been cruising around the house and trying to see how long he can keep his feet off the ground now, both coasting and standing still, any amount of time he spends on it is fine with me, eventually it will just click
    It's been cold here too... We've just started practicing track stands in the basement!!

mtbr member
    Just have them walk with it. They will lift up their feet on their own.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just an update...... Was cleaning the garage and my boy was practicing track stands, when I heard "look how fast I can go"!! I looked over and he was actually striding instead of walking!! Just wish it wasn't so cold so he could have more room!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    my daughter took a while to figure it out too. One thing that made it easier is that we went to a driveway that was slightly sloped. This made the gliding part a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    We put our boy(then 3yrs old) on a firstbike ( firstbike.com ) last spring, and for about two months he walked around on it sort of drunkenly.(didn't understand the whole steering thing very well) I'd push him on occasion, and tell him to lift his feet and use the hand brake to stop, but overall he was mostly just walking around. Then all of the sudden he was coasting, and doing circles and figure eights with his feet up. He rode off a small retaining wall(crashed) just to see what would happen!(don't forget those helmets!) He rides it down trails now, down small steps, everywhere! It just takes a little time for them to get it sometimes.

mtbr member
    pumptrack! be careful of course

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    pumptrack! be careful of course
    What a great idea. If a kid could master pumping a balance bike, he's be awesome in no time at all.
    I like turtles