mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What bike? xs womens frame or a 24in kids bike?

DD has way outgrown her 20in bike. She is 54in tall, we went to 3 nike shops today. 1 said a 24in bike and 2 said a womens xs frame.

if it helps the 24in kids bike would be a Canondale (http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes...et-matte-black)

or the xs womens frame a Trek Skye S

Any recommendations of what to go with? She didn't ride either but did sit on them. She liked both. Price point is about the same. It appeared the kids canondale seemed big for a 24in bike, but I don't want to spend the $ and need a new bike next year as we already had to raise the seat at the shop. But I also want her comfortable riding her bike after a really serious crash last summer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Your daughter is about 3 inches shorter than my wife, who is 57" tall. She is currently worknig with a local bike shop to find something that fits her, and is thinking about a 24" tire, as the 14" Raleigh frame they had in stock is still a little big for her. However, plans on hold until they get one in stock that she can try out. There don't seem to be a lot of choices in this size... which really stinks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpwars View Post
    DD has way outgrown her 20in bike. She is 54in tall, we went to 3 nike shops today. 1 said a 24in bike and 2 said a womens xs frame.

if it helps the 24in kids bike would be a Canondale (GIRL'S 24" STREET 21 SPEED - Street - GIRLS BICYCLES - Kids - Bikes - 2013)

or the xs womens frame a Trek Skye S

Any recommendations of what to go with? She didn't ride either but did sit on them. She liked both. Price point is about the same. It appeared the kids canondale seemed big for a 24in bike, but I don't want to spend the $ and need a new bike next year as we already had to raise the seat at the shop. But I also want her comfortable riding her bike after a really serious crash last summer.

I would say it depends on the riding you do. I tried a XS 26 for my son, but it was just too big since he is into trail riding, jumping etc... Now if he was just riding around the neighborhood, I may had gone ahead with the XS26.

Really only you can be the judge. I know as far as mountain biking, if I were in between frames I would rather go a little smaller than larger.

Do you have another younger child? That way you could justify the 24 since it can be handed down. That's how I looked at it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Get the 24" bike. My kid is 54" tall and he just grew into his. You might get a good two years out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I would say it depends on the riding you do. I tried a XS 26 for my son, but it was just too big since he is into trail riding, jumping etc... Now if he was just riding around the neighborhood, I may had gone ahead with the XS26.

Really only you can be the judge. I know as far as mountain biking, if I were in between frames I would rather go a little smaller than larger.

Do you have another younger child? That way you could justify the 24 since it can be handed down. That's how I looked at it.
    I concur and got a Myka xs for my 54" daughter. She rides lite xc and around the neighborhood and the bike is fine for her. It is nice that the larger wheels have more momentum. She does not like to pedal, so this works out well.
    Bill

mtbr member
    With out a doubt I would go with a 13" frame in 26"!! That is what my son is on and what I am currently building for my daughter. My son rips it up on his at 7 1/2 yo people are blown away when they see him on the trails. Granted I didn't build it and then have him on the trail the next day, I let him get good at shifting and using hand brakes and just in general get comfortable on the bike around the neighborhood.

Durango
    What bike?  xs womens frame or a 24in kids bike?-294175_10151371055826895_1723595101_n.jpg

Klondike Bluffs (Moab)
    What bike?  xs womens frame or a 24in kids bike?-942474_10151345533416895_2143455725_n.jpg

Going down the river off of White Rim
    What bike?  xs womens frame or a 24in kids bike?-420732_10151343468656895_325210917_n.jpg

And a short video from our trip to Moab last month

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    With out a doubt I would go with a 13" frame in 26"!! That is what my son is on and what I am currently building for my daughter. My son rips it up on his at 7 1/2 yo people are blown away when they see him on the trails. Granted I didn't build it and then have him on the trail the next day, I let him get good at shifting and using hand brakes and just in general get comfortable on the bike around the neighborhood.
    Also age means very little, how tall is he? Not to be rude but is he lifting the front to get up and over obstacles or jumping and getting some air?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

What bike? xs womens frame or a 24in kids bike?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Also age means very little, how tall is he? Not to be rude but is he lifting the front to get up and over obstacles or jumping and getting some air?
    He is currently 53.5" but was smaller when I built it for him. He is definitely lifting over obstacles, jumping, and dropping smaller ledges. He also just made the transition to clip pedals. I am running a 1x9 drive train and shorty BMX 145mm cranks.

As you can see from the pictures I am able to run a dual air fork on low psi which allows good travel for his weight too.

I have helped a few others in my area into similar rides for their sons and even though older about the same size as my son and all are doing very well with the setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My experience is totally different, but here's a video of mine on a 24" bike. He is about 54.5" tall and he just got big enough to get on top of the bike instead of "inside" the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi Kuan, What is your son riding? A 24" Kona with a Cannondale Lefty fork? Is the fork a 26" or 24"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Hi Kuan, What is your son riding? A 24" Kona with a Cannondale Lefty fork? Is the fork a 26" or 24"?
    Yep it's a Kona. Fork is a DLR2 carbon 110 fork with spacers to lower the crown and decrease the travel to about 70mm. Shockspital did the work. The wheel is a Velocity Aerohead 24" and the hub is standard Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Very cool!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I would get a women's bike so that she can ride it longer. I've been looking at a few myself on the page below and I'm kinda leaning toward the Novara Mia Cruiser Best Women?s Bikes Reviews 2014.