Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What age for first kids bike?

I want to get my niece her first bike. She turns 3 in a couple months. Is that too young? I am thinking maybe I would be better off waiting another year

For the parents out there, how old were your kids before you got them their first bike? I guess at that age it would be a tricycle? Or bike with training wheels? I really don't know to be honest, as I have never shopped for this sort of thing before and can't remember that far back

Thanks

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    for a 2 y.o., try to get her a push/run bike to help her develop her balance first...

Flying Goat

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my kid is gona learn to pedal before they walk

swag ho Administrator
    I would say at 2 years old, get them a tricycle. Kettler makes nice ones. Pedaling is a foreign concept and that takes a while.

After a while, you can get them a bike with 10 inch wheels and training wheels. I would recommend going to Goodwill and picking one up for $10.

fc
    IPA will save America

Feeling a little taller
    We picked up a push bike for little Maya (23mos) the other day but it turns out that she's not quite tall enough yet. She got to play on one of her little friend's Kettler trike today and now she REALLY wants one.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    When my son was two, I got him a Tricycle/stroller. I could let him get used to it and he could pedal but I could do the steering and help him keep moving. The handle is removable and he was pedaling and steering on his own around 3. Now he is four and has a bike with training wheels, but he doesn't want to pedal it much. He keeps saying he rather ride the tricycle or his scooter.

mtbr member
    My son got this for his 2nd birthday. It has no pedals, chain, sprockets, or brakes. He's now two and a half, and he is "gliding" (balancing) for 8-10 feet at a time. He loves it. He'll never need training wheels. His bike is the Specialized "Hot Walk". He has the boy's version which has pirate stickers! There's a pink one too.

我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Feeling a little taller
    Poh, they're talking chronological age, not maturity.

- nice bike though, and love the bell on the bars.
    Last edited by Dan'ger; 03-31-2008 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member

Good job! Each kid is different...

All kids will learn at a different pace, but a tricycle is a good choice for the age. You could also look at a Specialized Hot Rock and use the training wheels for awhile while they get accustomed to pedaling, etc. My son had a tricycle around age 2, the Hot Rock about age 3, and was riding it without training wheels by about age 4.

mtbr member

I definitely recommend a bike without pedals for age 2 1/2 to 3 1/2.

My son and twin girls rode the wooden bike without pedals at first. This definitely allows them to develop confidence and balance on their own first.

The twin girls are riding on their own pedal bikes now too at almost 5 years old. My son started on the skuut bike at 2 and a 1/2 and is 3 and a 1/2 now. He started riding the pedal bike with 12" wheels last week

utilitarian biker
    My daughter got a Spec. hotrock for her 3rd b day. She is now almost 3 1/2 and loves riding it. I've been adjusting the training wheels up for the last couple months. She is starting to show signs of riding on two wheels now since the trainers are so high up...

Long live long rides.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Poh, they're talking chronological age, not maturity.
    ahahahahahahahahah
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

What would Pimpbot do?
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    All kids will learn at a different pace, but a tricycle is a good choice for the age. You could also look at a Specialized Hot Rock and use the training wheels for awhile while they get accustomed to pedaling, etc. My son had a tricycle around age 2, the Hot Rock about age 3, and was riding it without training wheels by about age 4.
    Ditto this post for my 4 year old. It was his idea to remove the training wheels and keep them off even though he crashes a lot.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." - D.H. Lawrence

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Like A Bike

One of the original push/balance bikes is made from wood, amazingly robust, and pretty unique. The company is LIKEaBIKE. There are different models available.

You can also look around for used ones of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by yo_ca
    One of the original push/balance bikes is made from wood, amazingly robust, and pretty unique. The company is LIKEaBIKE. There are different models available.

You can also look around for used ones of course.
    LikeABike is a good product but pricy. We settled on a similar bike by RadioFlyer. It's about 1/4 the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I will look into it

Turn off the TV
    Any age you feel comfortable is fine, I started mine at 2+. I would suggest that you don't spend a bunch on a name brand as they run through them rather fast and the name brands arn't that much better than kmart brand at least untill you get to geared bikes. I would also suggest buying used untill they get a real bike around age 10 or so. When they are young they have no idea whats new or used they just want to have fun with their new toy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All depend on the kid. My kid started successfully pedaling at tad over 2. Training wheels of course. The biggest issue was the size. Year later he rides his bike very confident and got a grasp on the coast brake, althouth taking training wheels is not an option yet, since he still have to climb on the bike. (12" bike)

One thing to note is bike quality. The bike we bought to him cheapo Rhino bike and he couldn't learn to pedal on it at all. Other day we stepped into TrailHead and he sees Speshi small bikes, he climbed on one and few seconds later he cranked around shop. No, we didn't bought speshi, he just learned to pedal his Rhino afteward
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    My daughter is almost 3. She has ridden her wooden pushbike, called a "Park Racer", into the ground in the last year. The wheel bearings have blown twice, and the steerer/fork has split through the wood. Hanging on with tape right now. But this is her primary transportation these days. She easily rides 2 miles a day on it, to town and back, plus trips to the park. We rode out in Bear Valley this weekend and on the Cross Marin Path. She took it to GG Park last week and ripped it up through the Botanical Gardens.

Because her bike is just about destroyed, I just bought her a bling bike - the LikeABike Jumper. All-aluminum, two adjustable seatposts, Schwalbe Big Apple tires and an elastomer rear shock - just like my Castellano. Crazy!? I am so psyched - maybe more than she is. It's not cheap, but I think it's going to have great resell value - especially in this market.

(edit: the other cool thing I like about the Jumper is that the steering limiter is removeable - so she doesn't have to deal with the 20o turning radius for long. I've been disappointed with this feature in most push bikes - a good idea when they're starting, but when you get to a certain level you want it off - like when you're doing double barspins coming off a handrail grind)

We're also getting her a 12" pedal bike for her birthday next month. She could pedal a bike (w/training wheels) the first time she got up on one, but I don't think she'll really take to it for a while longer yet - she's just so proficient on the push bike.

Last edited by Cycledelic; 03-31-2008 at 03:15 PM.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    That kokua is kinda neat!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

LIKEaBIKE

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    LikeABike is a good product but pricy. We settled on a similar bike by RadioFlyer. It's about 1/4 the price.
    Fell, vat du yu zink. It's German of korse, zee LIKEaBIKE, sso it kosts morr LIKEaPORSCHE.

Buying it used if you can find a good one is the way to go with that bike.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

Cheaper than a Likeabike = Skuut

Retail price is $89 and can be bought at local stores.
    http://www.skuut.com/

My son is 1 month shy of 2 years old and this is still a tad too big for him. But he still enjoys rolling around (with mom or dad holding him up) on it.

I really think the pedal-less bikes are the way to go, in regards to easing the transition to biking without training wheels.

Here is a pic of ours. Behind the Skuut it the other toy that our boy likes to ride.

-g

(and no, 3 years old is not too early to start.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

swag ho Administrator
    Here's a how to guide on how to fall btw.

fc
    IPA will save America

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Here's a how to guide on how to fall btw.
    My life is better now that I watched this. What a little badass.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast