mtbr member
    May 2014

What age did you start taking your kids out as passenger? And how did you do it?

I'm sure there are massively divided opinions on this subject but what age would you start taking a baby out and whats the best methods to support them, other than a trailer?

Our daughter is 7 months and we really want to go out cycling as a family, but we have read that helmets are not made for little ones as their necks are not all strong enough to support the additional weight, which makes sense.

Any suggestions tips or ideas that have worked well for you guys?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think the neck, that you mentioned, and the spine are the primary concerns.

But I think when I was looking into it, the issue that stuck more in mind was more going over the bumps and that kind of thing, and don't recall the issue being the helmet. Although it makes sense and its been a little while since I looked into this and might just not being recalling correctly.

From what I recall I think the issue is making to wait until your child can hold their head up unsupported and for some reason one years old as the minimum age is sticking in my mind.

I do not offer advice on this, only my own experience.

I have two boys, aged 2.5 yo and 16 mo. I started both at 6 months with the "Infant-car-seat-strapped-into-Burley-trailer" method. No helmet, obviously. They would be in a front facing, but tipped back position, similar to how they sit in a rear facing car seat. Riding only pavement or smooth, hard packed cinders.

At about 16 months I dropped the car seat and they rode strapped in the Burley with the stock straps and a helmet. Still riding only pavement or smooth, hard packed cinders (older Burley trailer without the elastomeric suspension.)

At about 18 months my older started riding in an iBert with a helmet. At this point started riding buff singletrack.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    I do not offer advice on this, only my own experience.

I have two boys, aged 2.5 yo and 16 mo. I started both at 6 months with the "Infant-car-seat-strapped-into-Burley-trailer" method. No helmet, obviously. They would be in a front facing, but tipped back position, similar to how they sit in a rear facing car seat. Riding only pavement or smooth, hard packed cinders.

At about 16 months I dropped the car seat and they rode strapped in the Burley with the stock straps and a helmet. Still riding only pavement or smooth, hard packed cinders (older Burley trailer without the elastomeric suspension.)

At about 18 months my older started riding in an iBert with a helmet. At this point started riding buff singletrack.
    About the same here. My oldest daughter was strong enough at 6 mo to support her own head and she was also walking by 9 mo. My youngest daughter didn't get strong enough to support her one head till about 1 year and also did not start walking till 15 months or so. Both were trailered on Road and Buff Singletrack.

My oldest was about 3 when we put her on the trail a bike.

Happy girls on Lake Summit

and my youngest was about 5 before she was big enough to sit on it and her feet touch the pedals. Here she is at 3.

100_4558

They also used to make a kind of car seat holder for the trail a bikes. NOt sure if it's available anymore. I looked at them when the girls were little but didn't get one probably due to money at that time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Don't forget the Weehoo Igo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U902fe6DZu8

mtbr member

Re: What age did you start taking your kids out as passenger? And how did you do it?

Since my daughter was 8mo I've done the kid in car seat, car seat in trailer combo. No helmet. Just leisurely neighborhood riding on cement. She's 15 months now, pretty soon we will lose the car seat and get her a helmet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2