mtbr member
    Oct 2012

V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike

Installed v-brakes on my sonís Specialized Hotwalk 12Ē balance bike. Got a bunch of tips from a fellow blogger. Below are the parts I've used for anyone interested:

Parts:
    - V Brake mount adapter (Evolution Bike Co in Georgia $60)
    - V Brake boss from LBS $5 (10mm coarse thread)
    - Tektro Mini BMX Brake/Lever/Cable set from JensonUSA $17

I shaved down a section of the brake pads since the rear of the pads were closer to the rim than the front and throwing off the modulation of the brake lever squeeze. This is because I moved all the concave pad washers to the outside of the v brake to allow the brake arms to be within recommended specs. If I installed with the pad washers in the proper positions, the top of the brake arms would have extended out too much, and I didnít want the arms getting caught up on my sonís legs.

Otherwise, the install was straight forward. My 2.5 year old son can grab and pull the lever without issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-dsc_0113.jpg  

V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-dsc_0122.jpg  

V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-dsc_0160.jpg  

V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-dsc_0159.jpg  

V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-dsc_0162.jpg  

V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-dsc_0161.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great idea! Wish I did it when my daughter had hers.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I like it! Getting him used to hand brakes now will aid the transition to a "real" bike that much easier. Good job :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for posting this! My son's Hotwalk doesn't have brakes either so I was looking for ways to add brakes to it. Looks pretty straight forward and relatively inexpensive. Thank you!

Havok
    Such a good idea. Great work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm having difficulty finding the clamp on v-brake adapter online. Is this a LBS only item?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I did something similar, but install a disc brake.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roesbra View Post
    Sticking finger into a spinning disk rotor can easily amputate a finger, don't leave the bike within easy reach where kids can play with it unsupervised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah I'm not a big safety freak but I could never feel comfortable letting my 2-3 year old use that unattended. plus it is way overkill.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Cheapo
    Glad this came up. I was looking at that and thinking "Damn, that's expensive", but then realized you can just unbolt it and move it on to the next bike when the time comes.

I have a Hotrock 16 that I want to put a brake on. I was just going to throw a caliper brake on there because something is better than nothing right now (using it as balance, no pedals), but this here may be an even better option.

EDIT: Looking at the pics of the clamps, do they not already have the V-brake bosses installed? Or am I missing something? Trying to figure out how it all goes together.

Cheapo
    I called Evolution Bike Co. to order a set of those clamps. They had 3 left when I ordered, and have another shipment of 100 coming in in about two months. He said this new batch will be anodized in various colors. They also charge sales tax for out-of-state sales, just FYI, something about covering their ass with the gov't changing their rules.

Now to source some v-brake bosses and buy the mini v-brake kit.

Is the cable that comes in the Tektro mini v-brake kit decent, or should I find something else?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Sticking finger into a spinning disk rotor can easily amputate a finger, don't leave the bike within easy reach where kids can play with it unsupervised.
    Always be careful with children, never my son is only biking. the purpose disc brake is minimize stress and fatigue when walking child.

nee
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by roesbra View Post

It's very beautiful.
    Where do you have found the adaptor for the caliper?
    And what this the hub?
    If I can create this one, I create the disc with carbone.

Thanks
    RaphaŽl

Cheapo
    Well all my stuff came in, just have to throw it on there now. The v-brake bosses were $10 for a pair of used ones at my LBS. I should have just bought Aluminum ones for a bit more, think of all the weight savings!

Cheapo
    OK...chain guard bracket is right in the way of the clamp location. I guess I have to grind it off our read around to see what others have done.

Cheapo
    Unless I can put them on the chainstays instead, haven't checked that yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think it'll hit the chain that way.

Hmmm.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    OK...chain guard bracket is right in the way of the clamp location. I guess I have to grind it off our read around to see what others have done.

Unless I can put them on the chainstays instead, haven't checked that yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think it'll hit the chain that way.

Hmmm.
    Dave88LX,

What did you ever work out with these? I went to order the V brake adapter plate from Dan's Comp today and it's no longer listed on their site. Guess I'm willing to pay a bit more for these clamp on ones if that's all I can find.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-img_3052.jpgV Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-img_5020.jpgV Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-img_6642.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post

Dave follow the instructions the poster put up. I was the one who originally did this but the OP fine tuned it. As you can see I am also running this set up on a 12 in cult pedal bike. The clamps are the best way to go to get the best braking power for your little guy. I chose to go with an avid 5 brake lever as it not only adjust the lever position but also how the easy or hard the lever pulls. My 2 year could easily lock the rear wheel up. Hope this helps

Dave88LX,

What did you ever work out with these? I went to order the V brake adapter plate from Dan's Comp today and it's no longer listed on their site. Guess I'm willing to pay a bit more for these clamp on ones if that's all I can find.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I also would like to install v-brake to 12" Scott Voltage Walker
    Do you think will it work?

Thanks.
    (I've started own topic before I found this thread, anyway that would be useful for future searchers too)

V Brake Install on Specialized Hotwalk Balance Bike-221811_14767_png_zoom_3.jpg
    2012 Trek Slash 9