mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Updated Rocky Mountain Reaper (24"/26" and 27.5")

Rocky Mountain Reaper kid's bike launched - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com

Interesting as we are looking for a 24" sometime in the near future. I'm not sold on the 24" side of things. Seems like its just a 26" frame with smaller wheels. Not a huge fan of that. FWIW Flow has some really nice FS 24/26" designs made, not sure if they are going to actually get them manufactured tho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I just can't see how it's not 2 different bikes ... any more than a 27.5+ cs 29er is...
    The main difference though is the 2 bikes are kid size dependent... and the article doesn't say how they do that.

Specifically how do they (or do they) change the chain stay length and how does that then change the bike in terms of reach/HT ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post

Specifically how do they (or do they) change the chain stay length and how does that then change the bike in terms of reach/HT ?
    Yeah the problem is the long chain stay length and wheelbase for starters. If you a little dude coming off a 20" bike then that's a pretty long bike to have to muscle around. You can fix most reach typically with a short stem (kind of) but I agree these convertible bikes have sizing issues in the 24" size configuration.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Yeah the problem is the long chain stay length and wheelbase for starters. If you a little dude coming off a 20" bike then that's a pretty long bike to have to muscle around.
    Exactly... and surely the target market is little dude's coming from 20" bikes?
    Or perhaps more cynically the target market is parents of kids who outgrew a 20" bike quickly..

You can fix most reach typically with a short stem (kind of) but I agree these convertible bikes have sizing issues in the 24" size configuration.
    Yep and the geo changes in the wrong way.(assuming fixed chain stay length).. one way or another it seems it will start out big and unwieldily and end up small and playful...?

That said longer travel adult bikes seem to be pushing the same way ???
    The difference is IMHO stick an adult on a longer bike and they can use their weight more for the same balance... whereas a kid is already having to move further to get the same

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'd be a bit more ok with longer Front center but lots of these bikes have pretty dang long chainstays for a 24in. Heck you can get a Pivot 29er with 428mm chainstays and the freaking Marin Hawk Hill Jr 24in is 428.5 lol!!

If you look at the difference between Ripcord and Norco Fluid you can see the better design in the Ripcord for a trail bike (trail Craft does the same). Stays are only 380mm (makes sense for 7yro) while fluids are long at 415. Massive difference yet bikes have the same wheelbase and top tube length iirc. The Ripcord just has a longer front center kind of like newer bikes like Smuggler to a degree. Reach is also an extra 30mm. My guess is that is a better setup, tho maybe I'm wrong?