mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Update: Marin Bayview Trail Disc build

Here is an update on my son's Marin Bayview Trail Disc

So the upgrades so far are

Spinner 24 inch Air fork with lock out
    RaceFace Next Sl carbon bars
    Complete 9 Speed XT drive train(except cranks)
    Shorten Iso Flow Cranks with Truvativ Rings
    Wheels, Novatec hubs laced to Velocity Aeroheat rims DT spokes and nipples
    BB7 brakes
    Tire are on the way, Schwalbe Rear Mow Joe 24x1.85 Front Rocket Ron 24x2.10
    Shopping for a seat post now, undecided about the seat

Here are the weights:
    Stock Upgrade Change
    Fork 2040g 1729g -311g
    Bars 324g 165g -159g
    Front Wheel 1020g 940g -80g
    Rear Wheel with cassette 1600g 1500g -100g
    Seatpost 317g 150-200g -167-117g
    Tires 620g x2 F445g/R420g -375g
    Brake lever 76.7g
    Shifter 124g
    Shifter/Brake pod 168g x2 Total: 201g x2 +66
    FD 179g 154g -25g
    RD 310g 184g -126g
    Caliper 198g x2 163g x2 -70g
    Fork
    Seat 309g ? ?

Sorry about the formatting, in the edit window it all looks lined up, when I post it I lost the tabs.

If I take the seat post as 145g, then I've shaved off 1325g. Not as much as I hoped, but a lot of it was for the performance of the new parts over the stock one

13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Wow, very nice build! So, basically only the frame and saddle are stock?
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    Wow, very nice build! So, basically only the frame and saddle are stock?
    Seat, seat post clamp, stem, skewers and head set.

My son didn't like the Specialized colors or I would have saved some money and gotten the regular 21 speed HockRock and thrown these parts on it.

Keep in mind, I started all this thinking I would build a XS26 inch frame with 24 inch wheels. So all these parts are from that build. It just ended up too big for him.

Had I not started down that route, I doubt I would have gone as far as I did with this, especially the wheels.

I will say the cranks are worth it. Most kids bikes come with cranks that are too long and the rings are horrible, making shifting hard for little hands.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

PRETENDURO
    Right on dude! Your little dude is riding in style… without carrying granite slabs and cinderblocks everywhere he rides.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can I ask what length cage dérailleur worked out best for you?

And what led you to choose the spinner over the rst f!rst 24? Availability?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tubored View Post
    Can I ask what length cage dérailleur worked out best for you?

And what led you to choose the spinner over the rst f!rst 24? Availability?
    It's a long cage. For the Spinner it was availability. I'm not worried about have too many adjustments on a fork for a 10 year old. Just being able to vary the air pressure and have a much smoother fork is enough.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Wēk Sôs
    Nice job on the build!

Edit: I would cut the steerer. By the time your son gets big enough to top out, he'll be onto a 26". I used a flat bar and a 6 degree stem (inverted for -6) to get a better hands to saddle height for my son.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Nice job on the build!

Edit: I would cut the steerer. By the time your son gets big enough to top out, he'll be onto a 26". I used a flat bar and a 6 degree stem (inverted for -6) to get a better hands to saddle height for my son.
    Yea I just haven't gotten around to that yet. It's next on the list.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It's a long cage. For the Spinner it was availability. I'm not worried about have too many adjustments on a fork for a 10 year old. Just being able to vary the air pressure and have a much smoother fork is enough.
    Is the weight on the Spinner Air fork @ 1729 grams a typo ? I have the Spinner coil 24" fork & it weighs 1680 grams.

mtbr member
    TwoTone,

Sorry about missing the start of your project.
    Where did you end up picking up the Spinner 24" air fork? How do you think it compares to the F1rst fork?

Obviously I'm heading down a similar path as you. The one thing keeping me on the Canndale path is the fork. Otherwise, if I can get a good quality 24" air fork, I might just pick up an AL frame bike and do a custom build.

My only fall back is that my boy has a younger sister that can take advantage of any 24" specific parts that are of good quality.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002 View Post
    TwoTone,

Sorry about missing the start of your project.
    Where did you end up picking up the Spinner 24" air fork? How do you think it compares to the F1rst fork?

Obviously I'm heading down a similar path as you. The one thing keeping me on the Canndale path is the fork. Otherwise, if I can get a good quality 24" air fork, I might just pick up an AL frame bike and do a custom build.

My only fall back is that my boy has a younger sister that can take advantage of any 24" specific parts that are of good quality.
    I can't compare it to the F1rst Fork since I've never seen one or used one. At the time I bough my son a bike the only 24 inch bike with an air fork was the Scott at $900+ if I remember correctly.

I got the fork from a member on here Demo9. He run lil shredders. He had both 20 and 24 inch spinner airs. Home Page

Here is the source for the F1rst Air RST F1RST Air 24" MTB Federgabel schwarz
    Here's a thread about it RST F1RST Air 24"

While the F1rst air has rebound and the Spinner doesn't, I haven't seen a need yet with my son to adjust the rebound. The fork as it was was worlds better than any of the junk that comes on kids bike and was much lighter. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

When I first bought the Marin, I didn't know I'd be able to source the air fork, so I need a frame with disc tabs and a fork with disk tabs. I originally wanted this bike, Specialized Bicycle Components but for some stupid reason they put a fork with no tabs on it.

In the end I'm very happy with the Marin, Specialized did me a favor because in my research I also found that the chainstays are about .5 inches shorter on the Marin which I feel will make manuals/wheelies easier for my son to learn. Heck look at the big deal adults make about .5 inches on a chainstay on a large adult bike, imagine what that is on a small kids frame.

Hope this help and good luck on your build
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Is the weight on the Spinner Air fork @ 1729 grams a typo ? I have the Spinner coil 24" fork & it weighs 1680 grams.
    Sorry I never noticed your post. It's not a typo, but keep in mind if we aren't using nice expensive scales that get calibrated all the time, our numbers will be off.
    I never compare my weights with someone else's. My scales are just ok cheap ones. I use them just for my own comparisons.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass