mtbr member
    Nov 2013

UK Islabike Cnoc 14 self-imported to U.S.

To share my insanity with kindred spirits in this forum...

After falling in love with what Islabikes have done for my older kids' riding, I wanted an Islabike Cnoc 14" with hand brakes and freewheel for my 3 year old. The U.S. version is required by U.S. laws to have a coaster brake, but the UK version has freewheel. The Cnoc 14 is ~2 lbs lighter than the Spawn Furi, so I set out to get my hands on a UK Cnoc 14.

I happened to have a long layover in London on the way home from a business trip last fall and took advantage of the situation. I arranged for a London-based friend to buy the Cnoc 14 for me, and picked it up from him. British Airways is nice enough to not charge any fees for checking bikes as luggage, so we now have a UK-version Cnoc 14 home in the U.S.

Ahhh.

UK Islabike Cnoc 14 self-imported to U.S.-cnoc14_uk.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good effort

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice!
    '11 Transition Bandit 29
    '12 Surly Ogre
    '13 Surly Big Dummy
    '15 Specialized Fatboy

Royalston Mass
    I'm so jealous! I have the american version for my son, and really wanted the euro one.
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How dare you skirt the Governments efforts to protect your child from you!
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    We really should start a grass-roots effort to fix the outdated U.S. "child bicycle safety" laws. The U.S. should just adopt the EU bike saftey standards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fireswamp View Post
    We really should start a grass-roots effort to fix the outdated U.S. "child bicycle safety" laws. The U.S. should just adopt the EU bike saftey standards.
    Not going to happen. I want them to just catch up on something important like helmet testing.
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    For those interested, here are the details of the U.S. and EU bike safety laws that control whether manufacturers are required to ship coaster brakes.

Maybe a change.org-like groundswell could get this fixed?

U.S. safety standard (page 5 (1512.5 (e) (2)))
    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...2-part1512.pdf

(e) Sidewalk bicycles. (1) Sidewalk bicycles
    shall not have handbrakes only.
    (2) Sidewalk bicycles with a seat
    height of 560 mm (22 in) or greater
    (with seat height adjusted to its lowest
    position) shall be equipped with a footbrake
    meeting all the footbrake requirements
    of 1512.5(c), including the
    specified tests except that the braking
    force transmitted to the rear wheel
    shall be in accordance with the sidewalk
    bicycle footbrake force tests,
    1512.18(f).

In contrast, the European standard (Saudi Arabia reprint): http://www.inmetro.gov.br/barreirast...os/SAU_441.pdf

EU standards (behind a pay wall): CEN - Technical Bodies

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    How dare you skirt the Governments efforts to protect your child from you!
    Our 3.5 year old received his UK-version Cnoc 14 today. He went from his balance bike to pedaling (no training wheels) in about 30 minutes. He was a face full of grins and giggles.

Further demonstrating the value of U.S. children's bicycle safety laws, he has no problem using both hand brakes to stop.

Having watched my older two kids make the transition from balance bike to pedaling on a coaster brake Hotrock, this went much smoother. No accidentally engaging the coaster brakes. Kid using the freewheel to set the pedal into the right position to start. So refreshing to watch how it can work with the right equipment.

Thank you, Islabike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi there,

I have a Cnoc 16" to sell that my kids have grown out of. It was bought in the UK since we lived in Switzerland at the time. The bike is in great condition of course and we live close to Ottawa in Canada. Anyone knows of anyone who would be interested?

For kids, Islabikes are the best!

Royalston Mass
    PM Sent!
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thats funny this thread just came up. i just got off the phone isla this morning asking if they can give me hand brakes and no coaster on that 16" wheeled bike. i am getting it for my kid to race on the bmx track. it will be perfect for it. hes 4.5 years old right now. i sent a PM to askasha, hopefully he mails me the bike. otherwise i will have to figure out another plan

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith View Post
    thats funny this thread just came up. i just got off the phone isla this morning asking if they can give me hand brakes and no coaster on that 16" wheeled bike. i am getting it for my kid to race on the bmx track. it will be perfect for it. hes 4.5 years old right now. i sent a PM to askasha, hopefully he mails me the bike. otherwise i will have to figure out another plan
    IME, a BMX race bike is far and away the best choice for BMX racing.
    He'll spin out that Isla in a second while the rest of the pack rides away. Also, if your kid has a hankering for BMX (like mine did, and still does), I wouldn't waste money on anything that carries this warning:

"This bike has been designed to be ridden by children on smooth paved, grassy or dirt surfaces with moderate gradients. It is not intended for any kind of jumping"

That says to me that this bike is a toy; for the price, I'd be looking for a real BMX bike, particularly if you're going racing. (For just pedaling around, I'm sure it's fine, but still pretty pricey for something with a smooth-riding-only disclaimer).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    IME, a BMX race bike is far and away the best choice for BMX racing.
    He'll spin out that Isla in a second while the rest of the pack rides away. Also, if your kid has a hankering for BMX (like mine did, and still does), I wouldn't waste money on anything that carries this warning:

"This bike has been designed to be ridden by children on smooth paved, grassy or dirt surfaces with moderate gradients. It is not intended for any kind of jumping"

That says to me that this bike is a toy; for the price, I'd be looking for a real BMX bike, particularly if you're going racing. (For just pedaling around, I'm sure it's fine, but still pretty pricey for something with a smooth-riding-only disclaimer).
    good point. i would say that a bmx track fits that description perfect. its smooth riding, nothing technical, no rock gardens, hard packed. he cant "catch air" for at least another 4 or so years so thats good. he will be on another bike by then. the table tops are always the hardest on the 4 to 5 year olds because their they just dont have the leg strength to pedal up the steep ramps. so hopefully the low gears of the isla will help him with that. i was thinking that the goal is to get a bike that he can just get through the course without getting off the bike to push up the steep parts. i remember racing when i was that young and my bike sucked ass being too heavy and too high geared.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    my son has ridden this bike on gravel paths and single trails no problem and his friend who's crazy with bikes raced through the forest on his islabike in a way I could hardly bear watching (down the stairs too...). This one has mud guards as we were tired of cleaning the kids and their clothes everyday when they drove through everything on their Cnoc 14's that did not have them...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith View Post
    good point. i would say that a bmx track fits that description perfect. its smooth riding, nothing technical, no rock gardens, hard packed. he cant "catch air" for at least another 4 or so years so thats good. he will be on another bike by then. the table tops are always the hardest on the 4 to 5 year olds because their they just dont have the leg strength to pedal up the steep ramps. so hopefully the low gears of the isla will help him with that. i was thinking that the goal is to get a bike that he can just get through the course without getting off the bike to push up the steep parts. i remember racing when i was that young and my bike sucked ass being too heavy and too high geared.
    No air for another 4 years - say what??

I obviously don't know your kid, but I think you might be seriously underestimating how well a lot of young kids can ride, particularly at the BMX tracks. Don't sell the little guy short!

For us, having an actual race bike made a HUGE difference for my son at that age. FWIW, the micro/mini's are also going to be the lightest kids bike off the shelf. But there were plenty of kids having fun just pedaling around th track on sidewalk bikes too. Depends on how competitive your kid is; once mine figured out how much faster and smoother he could ride on a dedicated bike, it was all over for the 16"s, at least at the track.

UK Islabike Cnoc 14 self-imported to U.S.-evtrack.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For those interested, here are the details of the U.S. and EU bike safety laws that control whether manufacturers are required to ship coaster brakes.

Maybe a change.org-like groundswell could get this fixed?
    There's gotta already be a way around it - in addition to the race bikes, which of course don't come with coasters and have low seats, I've also purchased a couple 16" and 18" BMX park bikes that came with freewheels. You can find them in bike shops all over the US, no problem. Odd.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No air until he's 8? This was my 3 year old!
    UK Islabike Cnoc 14 self-imported to U.S.-sam_3246-012.jpg

And that warning about Islabikes (smooth surfaces etc) - I do know a lot of little rippers who are wrecking them - buckled wheels and even a cracked frame