viva la v-brakes!

tubeless set-up for smoother trailer ride?

I'm thinking of buying some larger volume tires for our Thule Chariot Cougar 2 trailer and setting them up tubeless so I can run them at low pressure. I figure doing so will allow me to tow my daughter around on rougher trails (or even just pot-holed side-streets) without too much undo discomfort.

Can anyone recommend a good, high volume 20" tire? Odyssey has the Hawk tire in a 2.4 and smooth tread, but at 650 grams, it weighs more than my MTB tire and, I am assume, is probably pretty stiff, not well suited to gaining the benefits of tubeless use.

Am I wrong with that? Any other suggestions?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought Kenda Small block eights for my son's 20 inch bike. They're 20 x 2.1 in the Kevlar bead, 320g. I picked them up from universal cycles. They may not be the cheapest, but they stock and price match, Universal Cycles -- Kenda Small Block 8 Tire - Folding Kevlar Bead

They were $42.18 each.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've pulled our Chariot Cougar on some rutted gravel maintenance roads, and thru some bumpy fields. Even with the carbon leaf springs set as soft as they would go, I don't see any amount 0f tire smoothing out the ride much.
    Maybe smoothing out cracks in the sidewalks, yes...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    In terms of a softer ride, think the benefits of going tubeless would be very, very minimal on a chariot. Probably most comfortable would be to use some 20X4" tires from a mongoose massif, Mongoose Massif 20" Boys Bike - Walmart.com

Wide tire carcass and low pressure would be more beneficial but at big weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You're pulling a kid in a trailer; I wouldn't sweat the tire weight much.

I also can't imagine you're going to be dragging your kid through much terrain where you really need to go tubeless to run fairly low pressure. Long as your not ramming the thing up and over curbs or blasting down bony trails, I wouldn't think you're going to have problems with pinchflats just running regular old tubes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

viva la v-brakes!
    I dunno, I was thinking 10-15psi.

Now that I'm towing my little girl around I'm realizing that some of the surfaces I would ride on and not think much of are actually really rough. A lot of our side streets are pot-holed war zones, limestone paths are rutted and some of my short cuts are, bumpy to say the least.

I'm also noticing how crappy riding in traffic is now. used to never give it much though even on some of our busier streets. Now I want more bike paths and quite bike routes for safety!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.