mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Trouble finding girls 20" MTB

Returned a crappy 20" bike from Toysrus today...went to REI and they had a sweet Marin Hidden Canyon 20" MTB.....got it home and it just looks way too small for my daughter....the bottom of the frame says XXS but Marin says there are no variation in frame sizes at the 20" model.... That said, I dont want my daughter on a bike that is too small....

anyone have any suggestions on a bike that would be larger (or normal) for an almost 8yr old?

what about this Diamondback? Diamondback Bicycles - Tess 20
    ★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

mtbr member
    That all depends on the size of your 8 year old. My girl is 47" and I just got her a GT Laguna 20. It's a bit of a stretch for her on the TT length but a shorter stem will be fine. ST length is perfect. With the seat all the way down, she can touch pretty much flat footed.

As far as the Tess goes, with a quill stem, it will be harder to use spare parts to customize the fit. Also, with a steel frame, it will probably be well north of 30 pounds. Those were a couple of the reasons I passed on the Tess. If the GT looks good, check with your LBS. Mine gave me a pretty great deal on a 2012 that GT still had in their warehouse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just weird seeing such a variation of sizing between kids bikes of the same size. The Marin is a really nice bike but it's obviously too small. Ill check out a couple more LBS'.

mtbr member
    Have you tried a 24" in the same brand? My experience is most 20" bikes were in the same range when I looked for my son at 6 years old. When he was 8, I built him a 26" with 24" wheels. I realize all kids are different, my son is actually one of the smaller kids in class. He'll be 10 this year and I'm hoping to put 26" wheels on by the summer.
    Last edited by Aresab; 12-29-2012 at 07:42 AM.

turtles make me hot
    My son rode a 20" GF Precaliber for a couple of years... The top tube seemed long on that bike. I left him on it until he started to look too big. When he was 3 months shy of his 8th birthday, I couldn't take it anymore and put him on a 24" bike. Looks perfect on it right now.
    I say it's a year before I have to start looking at 26ers.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Would you guys go Perhormance Raven 24" or Diamondback Lustre 24" both aluminum?

mtbr member
    I took a quick look and they have a lot of similarities. The performance Raven has a 1 1/8 threadless headset/stem (from the pics) and the lustre has an old school 1 1/8 threaded quil with a single bolt. Also performance has 15% off right now. BTW, performance also has a GT Laguna, but it's similar to the Raven.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I took a quick look and they have a lot of similarities. The performance Raven has a 1 1/8 threadless headset/stem (from the pics) and the lustre has an old school 1 1/8 threaded quil with a single bolt. Also performance has 15% off right now. BTW, performance also has a GT Laguna, but it's similar to the Raven.
    I went with the Performance bike....world of difference and it fits (and she loves it)....Thanks, all.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Have you tried a 24" in the same brand? My experience is most 20" bikes were in the same range when I looked for my son at 6 years old. When he was 8, I built him a 26" with 24" wheels. I realize all kids are different, my son is actually one of the smaller kids in class. He'll be 10 this year and I'm hoping to put 26" wheels on by the summer.
    Agreed. Look at a 24" bike. I went from a 20" (5-7 years) and at 7 my son was ready for a 24" bike. I know all kids are different height/development skill but it is worth a try.

Also, don't push your son on a 26" too fast. My son can easily fit on my wife's blinged out XS size steel bike, but his trail riding suffers. On the street he's fine. He's just too clumsy compared to the same trails on his 24". It's like putting a 5' woman on a 29er with heavy, cheap, stock wheels I guess you can say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    agreed on the 24" - my daughter (7) has no trouble on her new 24" with small frame. far more mtb choice, the size is no problem at all now & it'll last much longer (I hope)!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    just to add that I think your choice of lighter frame was also the right one - proportionally the weight saving makes such a difference - we want to encourange them to love the sport !

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My daughter has a 20" GF, and it's really looking too small already. Needing to bump up to a 24"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought two 20" mountain bikes last year. A GT laguna and a Scott. I don't remember the name of the Scott. The GT is a much bigger bike. She is a bit small for her age so it totally depends on there height.

I also agree about the weight. Both the bikes are aluminum. The one draw back is that both of them have a single front chain ring. I wish I had gotten them bikes with double chainrings up front. They have trouble with a lot of hills because of it.

Goofing off?
    My daughter has a 24" geared Trek and a 20" beach cruiser. The frames are pretty much the same size but the 24" has a little more room to gro into. i.e. change stem, raise/ lower seat, ect..... Go that route.