mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Triple crank on 24" or not? Water bottle on Hula?

Looking at the 7 spd Hotrock without the triple, vs the Hotrock with and the Kona Hula with for an 8 yr old.

Do your kids use the triple crank in front? Lots of extra weight there if not used.

I notice from the website that the Hula does not have a water bottle mount either, looks like a deal breaker at this point...

Wēk Ss
    triple with the largest ring removed, so basically a double + bashguard. it depends if you ride trails or are more of a park, street, flat-ish trail rider. if you don't know by now, then most likely you can live with the single in front.

turtles make me hot
    I just removed the triple crankset from my son's new bike. It weighs a ton. I'll be setting him up with a single 34 up front with an 11-36 9 speed on the rear. With 24" wheels, he should be fine.
    I set his 20" up the same way with an 8 cog in the rear. I'm pretty sure the biggest cog on that bike has 32 teeth with 34 up front. I used Sinz cranks on both bikes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's what I was thinking weight vs the amount of times she'll use the front crank

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Hula is a really nice bike. You can mount a water bottle holder to the handlebar if you don't want them to use a camelbak.

My guys don't use all 3 front rings, but definitely 2. I like the idea of 2+bashguard.

Inspector Gadget
    Are you riding real trails yet? If you are or plan to soon, imo you'll need it. Ive been taking my 7yr old on trails I ride and he definitely needs the granny gear. Have it setup with two chain rings + bash guard. Did almost 7 mi of single track yesterday, mostly climbing. He maybe pushed a min worth over the entire ride. That was only on uphill sections that are too technical for him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My daughter broke the plastic pants guard and bent the big ring on her Gary fisher almost immediately. It's riveted on, like many 24" bikes, I've noticed, so I turned it into a bashgaurd by grinding all the teeth off. She doesn't seem to miss that big ring. She never rides fast enough to use it anyway. I don't think she used the granny much last year, but we were on all beginner trails. I'll bet she uses it this year as we move to some longer steeper trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks - went for the Hotrock with triple front and braze ons (no other 24 seems to have water bottle cage braze ons). She loves the granny gear for hills and no prob shifting. I'd recommend a triple to anyone looking at a 24.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Double + bashguard. Injuries from the big ring are ugly (if your kid decides to push it a bit)

Works well with aftermarket shortened cranks.