mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Trimming the fat

The kids are growing up, about ready to graduate from the 20" bike and move to the Trek mt220 I have sitting in the basement. Looking at the bike, it has a big adjustable stem on it and I am sure it is heavy. Other than that, where else can I lose some weight without spending a ton. The seatpost is super long, thought about trying to find a shorter one.

It's crazy how much these bikes weigh.

mtbr member
    Short seatpost is easy, till they grow and you can't re-attach what you cut off.

New bars, lighten up the front, but everything else stays heavy so that's probably moot if you don't have a spare lying around.
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got my kids MT220 down below 20#, it has been a great bike
    Trek MT220 24" mod build

In addition to elcaros suggestions, use a magnet to check to make sure the crank are hot (heavy) steel instead of aluminum, some of the trek dialed cranks are solid steel...

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Pretty well covered in the MT220 post. I am almost finished lightening a hotrock which started about a pound and a half heavier than the trek.

Biggest single gain is usually the fork. If you don't need front suspension, which in our case was irrelevant because I could barely compress the suntour fork on the hotrock, you can lose several pounds going to a rigid fork. In our case the 24" fork actually had a higher A->C height than the aluminum rigid forks on ebay. We basically dropped the fork from 2000g to 720g for $60 and lost about 25mm on the front height which was fine because the hotrock had the front geometry of a downhill bike without any actually travel.

We picked up a chinese carbon seatpost, stem, and bars, and dropped another 500g. Ours were steel so for bikes with aluminum components, the gain here is probably going to be much lower.

Switched to rocket ron tires and 20" schwalbe extra light tubes. This dropped around a 450g as well.

The OEM crank was single speed but really heavy and had a huge chainring. Switched to a ebay spectra crank and removed the top ring for a bash guard. Currently running SS, but even if we re-add the lower ring, it's a huge improvement over stock, both in gearing and weight.

Right there we're over 5 lbs lost.

After that it gets way more complicated and expensive because you're going to have to get into replacing the wheels, and the rest of the components.

mtbr member
    You have a link on the Spectra crank you used on the Hotrock?

ben

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Sure, it was: Spectra Crankset 22 32 44 Alloy 6061 152 mm Black Color MTB 9 Speed Triple | eBay

Took about 10 days to receive counting the weekend. I'll have to check but I think I wrote down the actual weight with and without the lower and upper chainrings.

104 BCD for the bolt spacing. 30T is the lowest that will fit a 104 without modifications, but could be run 2 x 9/10 using the lower and middle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Plenty of threads out there to get ideas. Here is my sons 220 build Semi / Budget Trek 220 Build

mtbr member
    Yeah, 30T would be plenty good for my needs. I'm assuming these are square taper cranks.

Thanks for the link. That is a great price.

ben