mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Trek superfly 20 - 19lbs

I purchased a Trek Superfly 20 for my 7 y/o son 48". I was planning on getting him a 24" bike but after watching him on it, I felt it was too big and he was too stretched out to handle it. One of the criteria I had was I wanted it to be sub 20lbs and no front shock, since at 50 lbs, what good is it.

Now if the trails would melt.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice option for a decently trailworthy off the shelf 20" bike. I like that they built an alloy V-brake rigid 20" fork for this rather than specing a cheap boat anchor of a suspension fork.
    Are the hubs quick release or nutted?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    hex nut with a quick release looking cover.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This is a great bike! We got my son one as well. I wrote a detailed review of it here if you are interested. I think it is lighter than 19lbs. I weighed Joey's and it came it a hair over 17.

The Mountain Bike Life: Trek Superfy 20 Initial Review - Cool Kit for the Kiddies or Dad Reliving Childhood Dreams?

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The geometry of this bike is not listed on Trek's website. Could Crotched or Jmiklovic measure the horizontal top tube and post it in this thread? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    The geometry of this bike is not listed on Trek's website. Could Crotched or Jmiklovic measure the horizontal top tube and post it in this thread? Thanks.
    Not sure the proper way to measure. It is 15.5" weld to weld 17.25" seat tube center to head tube center

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That was actual not "effective" I can check the effective later tonight if you want

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiklovic View Post
    That was actual not "effective" I can check the effective later tonight if you want
    Yeah or I could snap a pic of how to measure effective (aka horizontal) top tube on my kids Hotrock 16 later. Then you could try to duplicate that on the Trek.

Have you ever seen a Cannondale Street 20 in person?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any further feedback or opinions on this Trek Superfly 20 bike?

I am looking at getting a new bike for a kid who is 50 inches (127 cm tall) with a 21 inch (54 cm) inseam? Current bike is an Islabikes Cnoc 16 and Islabikes has changed the policy and no longer deliver where I am, so I need to find a different option.

This bike seems fairly similar, seems light, but I am not sure about its quality and I dont know much about this Shimano Tourney gearing it has.

I have another kid 3 years younger who will eventually inherit the bike, so quality + lightweight matters in this case and am willing to pay more for that, as long as the quality is there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam25 View Post
    Any further feedback or opinions on this Trek Superfly 20 bike?
    The Spec Hotrock 20 seems to be a better foundation imo. The drivetrains are both similar so it comes down to the frame and fork for me. It's cheaper and the frame comes with disc tabs and a suntour disc fork that is easily modded for your child's weight. Btw, my 6 yr old daughter has inherited her brothers Hotrock 20 which weighs just over 22lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, but if I understand correctly, the Trek Superfly is an 18 lb bike?

That's where the Islabike 20" size bike comes in and that's about the weight range I am looking for, plus as said, quality components and build.

A 22 lb build I think would includes some unnecessary weight for a bike of this size to be ridden by a kid. I'm willing to pay a bit more for something good AND light, but for the money I want both of those things to be there.

mtbr member

Trek superfly 20 - 19lbs

I just bought a 20" Islabike for my daughter. If that wasn't available, I would have gone to the Superfly without a second thought. It's a much better option than the Specialized.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We took a trip to the bike store today to check out the Superfly. Weight was good and build quality seemed pretty solid.

On the other hands, it seems the crank arms were a little bit long for the size and pedal position again a little bit wider than what was right for the child. Saddle on the bulky side but probably comfy.

Bike was priced right up exactly same as Islabikes charges - although it is maybe one notch below.

Will think it over a bit and decide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Made the purchase in the end. Will throw in some feedback here.

Seems to have been a good buy so far. Kid has taken to the bike like a duck to water. This was a step up in size from the previous bike (Islabikes CNOC 16) but all has gone very smoothly. No complaints all. There was a bit of unexplained ticking sound initially from the rear, but that sound has gone away.

One small concern is that the rear derailleur hangs a bit low for my liking, so we'll see how this pans out in the long run.

Overall am satisfied with the Superfly 20. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a solid but lightweight bike and does not want to deal with Islabikes' newly inflated egos.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiklovic View Post
    Realized I forgot to follow up on this. I went out and snapped some pics of how to measure effective/horizontal top tube on my son's 2013 Hotrock 16.

Basically raised the seatpost up high enough so you can measure from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat post with the tape measure level, assuming the bike is on level ground.

My wife held the tape measure off screen while I snapped the pics and you can see we were right on the listed horizontal top tube length of 395 mm.

If someone with the Superfly 20 could measure the top tube I'd really appreciate it.

Trek superfly 20 - 19lbs-img_20140504_161950_356.jpgTrek superfly 20 - 19lbs-img_20140504_162014_702.jpgTrek superfly 20 - 19lbs-img_20140504_162006_920.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got my daughter a Superfly 24 D! She's only 5 years old but already out performs her GT 20" and definitely needed the upgrade. It is big for her so I swapped stems for a Race Face Respond 45mm instead of the stock Bontrager 60mm and a Truvativ Bar 580mm with no rise. I also swapped for a shorter seat moved all the way forward. She handles the bike like it's a part of her. It's still a little large for her as she's only 49" tall but this bike has drastically improved her bike skills. Now she loves Rock Gardens and Stream Crossings. With the front Suspension and Hydraulic Brakes she's much more confident and a lot faster with 24 vs 20. The bike weighs in at 26.7lbs. A bit on the heavy side for a HT but all kids bike are heavy..... she hasn't noticed the difference in weight, only how much more she can do on her new bike. Plus it matches my Superfly 100 PRO......... not that it matters or anything..... it's just cool!

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My wife was in San Diego and called me from a bike shop that had one in stock. I had her make a few measurements and compare the bike to other 20" kids bikes in stock and felt comfortable it would be a good fit for our son. At first I was thinking we'd just order one from our local Scheels, which is the only Trek dealer in our town, but the shop was so helpful to my wife and still had the box so we just had them pack it up and she brought it back on the airplane.

The bike was listed at $50 off and the shop charged nothing for packing so it worked out great for us.

We've had some lousy weather so not a lot of ride time here but the bike is nice and is the best 20" kids bike I've seen in person. Shop weighed it at 19 lbs.

Most of the components seem nice. I think the drivetrain is the weak link and where I'll look to upgrade this winter. He's not a fan of the grip shift and the bars are a bit wide and they will be my near future changes.

My boys are short legged so I do wish that Trek had done a bit more to lower standover but you can't have everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    CJH - If you're talking about Trek Bicycle Superstore, they are awesome! Huge inventory and great Clearance prices. I got my Superfly 100 pro from them..... $1400 off retail. I too modified my kids superfly to fit her better. standover sucks on all kids bikes. Cannondale makes a 24 with a slightly lower standover for future reference but the superfly 24 is a much better bike. Enjoy!

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewKD View Post
    CJH - If you're talking about Trek Bicycle Superstore, they are awesome!
    I'm not sure, but my wife described it as more of a smaller mom and pop type place, and they carried more than just Trek. Need to find out the name of the shop guy who helped her and have a pizza delivered on a day he's working.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    If someone with the Superfly 20 could measure the top tube I'd really appreciate it.
    I recently picked up a Superfly 20 for my son. The effective top tube measurement is 435mm. We're really happy with the bike.
    He is 8 years old but short for his age at 125cm (49 inches)and the bike fits him well.
    The bike is very well made for a kids bike and nice and light.
    He adjusted to using gears very quickly and although there's only 6 gears, he can get up most trails.

Here's a very short video of him riding it last weekend at Gap Creek reserve in Brisbane.

The lack of suspension doesn't seem to bother him, although obviously from the video, some drops can result in a bit of a painful landing.