Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Endo King
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    We've been rocking a (used) sidecar too since our oldest was 1 -- she's now six so our little guy (1) is taking over the sidecar.

His big sister now rides a trail behind attached at the rear which you can't do with a traditional rear mounted trailer.

When we were shopping sales folks tried to talk us into a 2 seater saying it would be handy with another kid or for shopping/beer runs with the kiddos) but we made the sidecar work and I like being able to look over (not back) to talk to / check in on my passenger...

The (circus) bike train looks pretty funny at school pick-up/drop-off, but works great.

I seem to be getting more play in the connector "male/female" interface but bad enough (yet) to warrent $60 replacement...
    I checked out their site and videos. Pretty cool and worth checking into. I like the idea of being able to talk to my GD while riding.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone mentioned the WIKE?

At first I didn't want to spend the big bucks and tried unsuccessfully to go the craigslist route for any decent trailer. Then I researched them it seemed like WIKE was the winner and I ordered direct from the manufacturer in Canada. Got the basic Moonlite trailer, was about $300 then, seems it has gone up a bit since, and it's Awesome! Still can fit a 5 year old comfortably and can squeeze a small 7 year old in for short trips too. Folds super easy and never had a problem with it. I recommend the helmet cushion if you have a young rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just picked up a like new Chariot Cougar 1 for $200... with jogging and bike attachments! Score! She said they only used it once or twice, and never had it on a bike. Still has all the nipples on the tires!

Burley D'lite

I tow my kids (2 yo & 1yo) in a Burley D'lite. They love it and they look really comfortable. The trailer itself is well built and sturdy. I love that the seatbelts are padded and 3-point harness. My 1 yo usually falls asleep after about 15-20 minutes. That's a testament to it's suspension and comfiness. My only complaint is the parking brake. It does the job, but man does it really dig into the tires. For the price they could have come up with something better.

I also bought the attachement to turn it into a stroller. Now that was an awesome add-on. I can bike with my kids, unhitch it, drop the stoller wheel down, and TA-DA! it's a double stroller. My kids never have to leave their seat too. Wonderful!

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any input on how the Burley trailer "hitches" to the parent's bike? I've got a Rockhopper Hardtail I can use as well as I'm in the wait for a 2013 Enduro Evo Expert. I'd like to be able to hook up a bike trailer for my daughter so I can bring her with my wife and I. She's still waaaaay too young to take off the beaten path onto dirt, but for paved paths and the occasional light gravel I'd like to see what you guys would recommend, and the ease of attachment to different kinds of bikes.

Thanks a bunch,

Matt
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Does anyone have any input on how the Burley trailer "hitches" to the parent's bike? I've got a Rockhopper Hardtail I can use as well as I'm in the wait for a 2013 Enduro Evo Expert. I'd like to be able to hook up a bike trailer for my daughter so I can bring her with my wife and I. She's still waaaaay too young to take off the beaten path onto dirt, but for paved paths and the occasional light gravel I'd like to see what you guys would recommend, and the ease of attachment to different kinds of bikes.

Thanks a bunch,

Matt
    Burley Hitch Manual

The Burley "Classic Hitch" is not going to be compatible with many bikes that have disc brakes and will also be incapatible with many mountain bikes due to the rear triangle geometry. I couldn't get it to work on any of my bikes. The Burley "Standard Hitch" will work on pretty much any 9mm QR or nutted axle.

Classic Hitch:

Standard Hitch:

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I used to have a chariot cx2 for our 2 kids. It was a great trailer. Picked it up second hand from friends but it was still expensive. I was able to install hitches (similar to the standard burley above) on mine and my wife's bike and we both used it. My daughter grew too big and they began complaining about being squashed in. Pulling the trailer became real hard work as well. I sold it on for about what we paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post

Thanks a bunch,

Matt

I've been using my Hardrock HT with the standard hitch to tow my kids around in the Burley D'lite. The standard hitch comes with the burley trailer. It works like a charm. It also comes with a safety webbing that also hitches between the bike and trailer.

tcr
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Burley classic hitch works fine on my old 26" hardtail beater. It also fits my Trek HiFi Pro full suspension with disc brakes. HOWEVER, the 10+ year old Burley 2 seater trailer does not work on my Trek HiFi Pro because it is a 29er. The rear wheel rubs the font of the trailer. I'm not sure if newer trailers still have this issue or not, but mine does.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes&berries View Post

At first I didn't want to spend the big bucks and tried unsuccessfully to go the craigslist route for any decent trailer. Then I researched them it seemed like WIKE was the winner and I ordered direct from the manufacturer in Canada. Got the basic Moonlite trailer, was about $300 then, seems it has gone up a bit since, and it's Awesome! Still can fit a 5 year old comfortably and can squeeze a small 7 year old in for short trips too. Folds super easy and never had a problem with it. I recommend the helmet cushion if you have a young rider.
    My wife and I picked up a Wike double this past spring at our local bike show. Our 18 month old son loves going for rides in it and there's loads of space in it. We got the helmet cushion as well which helps keep his head up.

They have been a great company to deal with. I met some of their staff at the Toronto bike show and they walked me through the different models they had and showed how easy they were to use. It's also great knowing that they're local (about an hour away) and their show special sealed the deal.

Since we got it, I've run into other families with them and they all have nothin but praise for them.

Carl

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes&berries View Post

Those 5 and 7 year olds better be riding their on bikes if you want to hang with this crowd! J/K

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Joining the conversation late:

I am looking for a trailer, two seater. I really like the Trek ones, albeit they no longer make them, but there seem to be quite a few still with dealers, alas NOS.

However, I am a bit lost with respect to the product lines, top of line, entry level etc, can anyone help?

Does the GoBug superseed the Doodlebug or were they avalaible at the same time?
    Is there a nice illustration of the models by year?

Thanks in advance

Initiate Tree Dodger
    Aug 2012
    recently picked up a Burley Honeybee @ performance for 319, normally 399, hooked it up to my wahoo and off me and my daughter went towing my 3yr old behind us, she was asleep about 10min into the ride ;/

Last edited by Foltz77; 08-30-2012 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    We have Chariot Cougar 2. Really like it. Easy to convert from stroller into bike trailer. It's comfortable for the kids. Looks like they are on sale at Amazon right now.

Chariot Cougar 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    Chariot Sidecarrier

That just looks awesome!!

We went with the Burley D'lite off CL. It was a 2004 - 2006 model.
    We even picked up an older model Burley D'lite for Grandma's house.

I think the used Burley's off of CL are the way to go instead of the
    cheaper Instep or Schwinn trailers at walmart or target.

Will most likely always get 70-80% of your money back when you sell it anyway!

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by maxnik View Post
    We have Chariot Cougar 2. Really like it. Easy to convert from stroller into bike trailer. It's comfortable for the kids. Looks like they are on sale at Amazon right now.

Chariot Cougar 2
    If you can, go to one of the REI used gear sales. We just picked up a used Chariot Cougar 2 for $179, with the jogger front wheel (straight, doesn't turn). This thing looks so new, it's unbelieveavable. Apparently, they just bought at the end of last year, and returned it when the bicycle hitch attachment was recalled. We still have to buy the hitch attachment and helmets for the kids. It's really tough finding small helmets that fit!

I'm looking forward to pulling our 1 year old twins behind our tandem!
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    It's really tough finding small helmets that fit!
    You might want to look at the Specialized Small Fry Toddler, this was the smallest one we could find. Though we didn't use the helmet when my daughter was very small and in the sling. She is using it now though and has been since about 18months old (now two). Before that we had the extra support in which supports the head.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    If you can, go to one of the REI used gear sales. We just picked up a used Chariot Cougar 2 for $179, with the jogger front wheel (straight, doesn't turn). This thing looks so new, it's unbelieveavable. Apparently, they just bought at the end of last year, and returned it when the bicycle hitch attachment was recalled. We still have to buy the hitch attachment and helmets for the kids. It's really tough finding small helmets that fit!

I'm looking forward to pulling our 1 year old twins behind our tandem!
    That's an awesome deal on the Chariot.
    I buy helmets for 1 year old kids at walmart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bought our Cougar 2; love it! I can now see why it costs a small fortune!

I will post some pics next time we go out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Picture from the first trip out, road run along Reforma pulled by my Orange R8 mountain bike. Although yet to try it, I would have thought it would content with minor off road/trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Check the model year

The Burley's certainly, and the Chariot's to a lesser degree, have changed a lot over the years. make sure you check that the used or close-out model you are looking at has the features you want.

As a parent, trailer owner and former trailer salesperson my opinion is this:

Get a trailer with suspension. (if you don't see why, try riding down a bumpy road on a 20" bike with your feet off the pedals and 20lbs helmet)

Get a trailer with a 'scoop' for the rear of the helmet

Keep the tires soft, like 7 psi or so

Check that is will attach to the bikes you want it to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you could get a used chariot cougar 1 with all accessories (infant sling, bike trailer kit, jogging kit) $395
    Giant Peapod duo $300 new or Croozer kid $395 new which would you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I used a chariot 2 for my two daughters. I was initially attracted to the idea of the modular accessories but in retrospect I dont think I would highly reccommend a chariot. They are so rediculiously expensive that you could likely buy a decent dedicated bike carrier and seperate jogger for less than the cost of chariot + kits. In comparison to other carriers, the chariot is quite heavy and self-limits the rides you can even do with it. The leaf-spring suspension, even on the lightest setting is quite stiff and I dont think it provides any meaningfull suspension benefit to the kid for anything but really rough trail riding at high speed, certainly not needed for asphalt biking. I also had a ski-kit for my chariot, used it a fair amount even though sking with it is so slow/hard that it is fairly unpleasant. The design of the ski-attachment allows the chariot to pivot in relation to the skis, I found this annoying since the chariot (and kid) were not level anytime I took-off the waste belt tow harness. I used a similar ski-carrier (homemade from another lightweight bike trailer) that had the skis fixed to the carrier and had a pivot at the ends of the tow bars where they attached to the carrier, much better placement for the pivot so the kid always stays level.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    I used a chariot 2 for my two daughters. I was initially attracted to the idea of the modular accessories but in retrospect I dont think I would highly reccommend a chariot. They are so rediculiously expensive that you could likely buy a decent dedicated bike carrier and seperate jogger for less than the cost of chariot + kits. In comparison to other carriers, the chariot is quite heavy and self-limits the rides you can even do with it. The leaf-spring suspension, even on the lightest setting is quite stiff and I dont think it provides any meaningfull suspension benefit to the kid for anything but really rough trail riding at high speed, certainly not needed for asphalt biking. I also had a ski-kit for my chariot, used it a fair amount even though sking with it is so slow/hard that it is fairly unpleasant. The design of the ski-attachment allows the chariot to pivot in relation to the skis, I found this annoying since the chariot (and kid) were not level anytime I took-off the waste belt tow harness. I used a similar ski-carrier (homemade from another lightweight bike trailer) that had the skis fixed to the carrier and had a pivot at the ends of the tow bars where they attached to the carrier, much better placement for the pivot so the kid always stays level.
    That's all fair, but I'd like to offer a counter-argument. I've had a Chariot double trailer (CX, I think. can't remember) for about 3 years now and its been nothing but fabulous. Its held up to all the abuse my kids have thrown at it. The suspension works fine, if its set up properly for the kids' weight. Running lower psi in the tires helps too. I've never used the running or skiing kit, but we use the stroller kit (the shopping cart wheels on Lance Armstrong-sized steriods) ALL the time. The stroller wheels go on upside down when you're biking. When you get to the store/mall/musuem/park/zoo/etc, you detach the hitch, flip the stroller wheels into place, and - PRESTO - you have a very manuverable two-kid stroller. Although its a little wide for some indoor applications, it's no worse than a double BOB stroller. When we bought it, the Chariot had the simplest and most elegant trailer-to-stroller transformation going. There might be other options now, I don't know. I would definitely recommend that Chariot to anyone in the market for a child trailer. Get one used or on sale, though. They are pricey (but worth it).
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie_b View Post
    That just looks awesome!!

We went with the Burley D'lite off CL. It was a 2004 - 2006 model.
    We even picked up an older model Burley D'lite for Grandma's house.

I think the used Burley's off of CL are the way to go instead of the
    cheaper Instep or Schwinn trailers at walmart or target.

Will most likely always get 70-80% of your money back when you sell it anyway!
    I actually had a Schwinn (bought at bike shop) and it was a very good trailer. Survived many miles pulling my two girls. Sold it thinking I was done with babies. Now have a new baby, and picked up a Burley this past summer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast