Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How does the hitch attachment work? I have quick release axles, I think they're 9mm. My bike also has disc brakes, but my wife's has rim brakes.

Also, I'm planning to take the trailer on gravel roads. Not full on single track, but still rougher than concrete or asphalt. For this reason I've been leaning toward a Chariot because of the suspension. Does anybody have feedback on whether the Cougar would be sufficient for this, or whether a Burley would work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjhall View Post
    How does the hitch attachment work? I have quick release axles, I think they're 9mm. My bike also has disc brakes, but my wife's has rim brakes.

Also, I'm planning to take the trailer on gravel roads. Not full on single track, but still rougher than concrete or asphalt. For this reason I've been leaning toward a Chariot because of the suspension. Does anybody have feedback on whether the Cougar would be sufficient for this, or whether a Burley would work?
    Burley does pretty well on gravel trails. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I have disc brakes and have no problems. The hitch stays mounted on the bike like a washer with an extension.

mtbr member
    I need to get to a computer to post a picture.

mtbr member
    Trailers: Chariot/Burley vs everything else-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335678426.532574.jpg

mtbr member
    Hope that helps!

Church of the Wheel
    If you will tow on anything bumpy at all, the Chariot suspension system is far superior to anything else on the market. That aside, their trailers are extremely well thought out and designed, and top notch construction. I find niggles with almost every product I own, and am super impressed with our Chariot. They didn't cut a single corner or make any compromises. I've owned Burleys as well as others, and they don't come close to the Chariot. It costs more to make a superior product, and yes, the Chariot cost more. And I'd spend every penny again, because it lets us go places we couldn't go with any other trailer. If you can muster the price of entry it's worth it. If money is too tight there are other decent trailers for sure. I'd put Burley second on the list after the Chariot. Both will also hold their value well.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Quote Originally Posted by BrenEv View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335678426.532574.jpg 
Views:	2172 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	692650
    Same piece I have for my Burley D'Lite for bike with QR and disc brakes. Purchased on Amazon for $22: Amazon.com: Burley Forged Standard Hitch: Quick-Release or Nutted: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I used the instep for my daughter and it worked well as a sleeper but When my son came out of the backpack and into the trailer it did not work at all. they just fell into each other and that was disastrous. I got Croozer for around$500, yeah I know, but it was awesome. bigger wheels, bucket seats with 5 point harness, turns into a jogger and stroller and hauls lots of cargo. very good design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have just started to use my Burley for my 2.5 year old and its great. The only thing I can't figure out is when I need to stop and go back to check on her or adjust the harness I have no way to set my bike down. The connection point to the rear wheel has no flex so doesn't allow me to lay my bike down. If I'm lucky there's a tree close by I can prop up against.

MTB SOCAL
    Looking for trailers for a 2yo. Started off looking at a Burley D'lite but now considering a Chariot. Should I go with a Couger 1 or Couger 2 for one child? It seems nice to have more space, but a single child has to sit on one side (can't sit in the middle) on the Couger 2. The narrower profile of the Couger 1 makes it more maneuverable and useful as a jogger. But, will it also be more prone to tipping over? Also, is the Chariot CX that much better than the Couger to be $1000? I have to look at the attachments for the bike trailer to make sure they will work on my Jones bike's dropouts
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

sheep in FOX clothing
    We went with the one-seater, even planning to have another kid, because the Chariot2 was just too wide IMO. The original purchase intent was a 20-km daily daycare commute, and avoiding busy sections of road meant passing through pathway gates etc that were already a pretty tight squeeze.

By the time kid #2 was ready to ride in the trailer, kid #1 had his own bike and intended to ride it (and the long-haul daycare commute was history).

Didn't like the CX myself, had a lot of expensive accessories that I just saw as dead weight on hills, Cougar was minimalist and light.

MTB SOCAL
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    We went with the one-seater, even planning to have another kid, because the Chariot2 was just too wide IMO. The original purchase intent was a 20-km daily daycare commute, and avoiding busy sections of road meant passing through pathway gates etc that were already a pretty tight squeeze.

By the time kid #2 was ready to ride in the trailer, kid #1 had his own bike and intended to ride it (and the long-haul daycare commute was history).

Didn't like the CX myself, had a lot of expensive accessories that I just saw as dead weight on hills, Cougar was minimalist and light.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

MTB SOCAL

Chariot Cougar1

I recently picked up a Chariot Cougar1. I will probably have to put some slicks or road tires on the Jones if we start riding serious mileage though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trailers: Chariot/Burley vs everything else-jones-profile.jpg  

Trailers: Chariot/Burley vs everything else-tralier.jpg  

Trailers: Chariot/Burley vs everything else-wheel-attachment.jpg  

Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Has anyone used a Burley with a bolt on single speed hub? Specifically I've got a White Industries Eno Hub with rim brakes. Can the standard hitch attachment be used with my set up, or does it require a quick release?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveX View Post
    Has anyone used a Burley with a bolt on single speed hub? Specifically I've got a White Industries Eno Hub with rim brakes. Can the standard hitch attachment be used with my set up, or does it require a quick release?
    I haven't tried towing my Burley with the SS yet, but I don't see why it would be a problem, so long as your threaded axle is long enough to allow you to mount the hitch receiver behind the axle nut. Here's a link to all of Burley's hitch configurations, go to page 10 for bolt on SS LINK

I tried the "Classic Hitch" contraption on all three of my bikes (all have disc brakes) and it didn't come close to fitting on any of them. IIRC, it was not only the caliper that was a problem, but also that the rear triangle geometry made it impossible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post

If you are only going to use it as a bike trailer, then the Cougar will do. If you plan on jogging or running, then the CX is the way to go. I borrowed a Cougar before I bought mine, and when running down a hill, it was hard to slow myself down, plus the weight of a baby and the stroller. I bought mine with the intent to use it 90% running and 10% bike, so having rear brakes was worth the weight. The seat fabric on the XC is much nicer and the side windows can be removed for better airflow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm a fan of the Chariot - we have the Cougar model, and it's held up well, is relatively compact, and is well made. Lots of nice touches - and I'm nerdily impressed by the reflective and the GLOW in the DARK panels. So cool!

Best of all, it appears to be quite sturdy. How do I know? Well, I flipped my 2-year old in it while on some singletrack. I was riding slow, but must have hit a root or rock just wrong, combined with the perfect incline, and probably the leaf suspension of the trailer, which gave it a little extra rebound. It was a slow topple, but I was surprised at the fact that it went over. Daughter was shaken / stirred, but not at all hurt, thankfully - the harness did its job of keeping her nicely centered in the cage. My guess is that rooty east coast singletrack is not recommended terrain with these trailers.

sheep in FOX clothing
    ^^^ Haha, back in the day I one-wheeled it around a tight corner on the road and got an earful from the 2-year-old occupant for going "way too fast" and almost tipping over.

Of course, now that he's riding his own bike, he dives into corners like a complete lunatic, and thinks that dad's safety advice is the lamest thing ever.

tcr
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another vote for the Burley. IMO you get what you pay for so I avoided the junk department store brands. I wanted a quality, safe, lightweight, quick connect, 2 seater, and at a reasonable price. So I went to craigslist and bought a used Burley for $100 about 7 years ago. Now the trailer is at least 12 years old and the only problem is a spot of worn fabric reinforced with duct tape. I've fallen over 1x and the trailer stays upright and is very stable at 25mph about the fastest I reach with the kids. I did not want a trailer/jogging stroller combo because I prefer a specific trailer and a specific running stroller so we avoided the Chariot and opted for the used Burley and a BOB stroller. We use the trailer and jogger so often that I didn't want to spend time converting them. I have no regrets about the decisions and they are both used weekly. I would also consider a Schwinn and Chariot.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    We tried/tested a number of trailers including the Chariot and ended up with the ToutTerrain SingleTrailer. We ride a lot and the Singletrailer has proven to be worth every penny. It has been amazing what you can still ride with it. Our daughter also really likes it.

Here are some details:
    Singletrailer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So we have a Chariot Cougar1, really like the trailer as does my daughter, for me what makes it nice is
    • Suspension which is adjustable depending on child's weight
    • Reflective material
    • The way it folds flat
    • Glow in the dark material

For us we used the trailer for running and cycling, the hitch is really easy to use and can be switched between all my bikes with a quick release.
    These should be photos of when my daughter was about 6months old, when we first got the trailer.
    First bike ride

Off for a walk on the beach

One thing I did do was change the tyres to some with puncture protection (Schwalbe Marathon plus for rear wheels and Big apple for the jogging wheel). Where we use to run was along a canal and there was lots of glass and thorns, both of which seemed to slice through the original tyres like a hot knife through butter . Since doing this I've had no punctures in over 1500miles , could have probably used sealant in the inner tubes to the same effect.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Chariot Sidecarrier

Endo King
    I went with the "Via Velo" trailer from Costco. Right about $199.00 bucks. I'm really impressed with the versatility of having either trailer or jogger/stroller. Tows and from having the wife follow me, tells me its very smooth riding. Took it for a walk downtown Sunday and couldn't believe how light it felt and well balanced and the best part is, my grand-daughter loves riding in it.

Towing Via Velo Montalban Trailer 3 by Boots46, on Flickr
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

Endo King
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    Chariot Sidecarrier

That is way cool...
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    Chariot Sidecarrier

We've been rocking a (used) sidecar too since our oldest was 1 -- she's now six so our little guy (1) is taking over the sidecar.

His big sister now rides a trail behind attached at the rear which you can't do with a traditional rear mounted trailer.

When we were shopping sales folks tried to talk us into a 2 seater saying it would be handy with another kid or for shopping/beer runs with the kiddos) but we made the sidecar work and I like being able to look over (not back) to talk to / check in on my passenger...

The (circus) bike train looks pretty funny at school pick-up/drop-off, but works great.

I seem to be getting more play in the connector "male/female" interface but bad enough (yet) to warrent $60 replacement...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast