mtbr member
    Nov 2010

"Trail-A-Bike" warning.

Just a heads up. When you are using a "trail-a-bike" it is a pretty good idea to make sure the passenger is on it before heading down the trail. Not saying that I may of done this to a certain 5 year old daughter of mine. Just saying.........

PRETENDURO
    I always ride with one of those “dorky”*commuter mirrors attached to my helmet, so I always look to see if everyone’s ready (or on the bike for that matter!) just before the traffic light turns green.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    Just a heads up. When you are using a "trail-a-bike" it is a pretty good idea to make sure the passenger is on it before heading down the trail. Not saying that I may of done this to a certain 5 year old daughter of mine. Just saying.........
    LOL. Noted. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As with tandem riding, I wait until I hear the stoker give me the go-ahead before pushing off. Never left w/o anyone but I have waited for extended periods when they forget to signal. Usually you can tell by feel but there are times when they obtain the perfect balance point and appear weightless.

turtles make me hot
    Once, my daughter was on one behind me and I hear a very upset sounding Dad Dad!! I stop and turn around to find the handlebar bolt loose enough that the bars were able to move back and forth.
    I tightened them up with my Cool Tool. Learned a lesson that day. CHECK EVERYTHING.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've never used one myself but my buddy Mike says it is impossible to leave someone behind with his set up. If he did the other kid yells!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    haha! longboardererj, that's a great setup - we tag-a-long and burley trailer our kids & I've always thought about joining them together.. how do you find it on the hilly stuff?

Slothful dirt hippie
    I've found successful TABbing requires a communication system.

- Daughter HAS to tell me before she starts to get off (I've started to move when she was halfway down which didn't work well), and HAS to be for realz when she answers "READY" back there. The latter actually got her a tread mark on the back of her shirt from not holding on to the handlebars when I pushed off, resulting in a somersault onto the TAB wheel then into the dirt. For better or for worse we were a couple miles into the woods and riding was the ONLY way out... she was back to her usual chirpy self by the time we got to the truck, and to date she's NEVER.EVER. done that again.
    - I try to keep up with my end of the bargain by telling her when bumps are coming up, when to stand up, etc. She can't see around me after all.
    We've taken the time to show her how to hold her pedals level when she's standing.... that got some whining until she clobbered the lower pedal into some rocks and logs. Again, nothing like teaching things with natural consequences.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."