mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Trail a bike on single track

I took alex on about 3 miles of single track with the trailabike.

Anyway, I am really freaked out about his bars clipping a tree. Think about it. if you clip a tree, the bars will give because they steer, but his will not. Instead the 200 lb momentum of his father was crush his hands.

So i am thinking about adding some big old school climbing bars for protection.

has anyone done this?

Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just make sure when I get close to trees to ask him if we will clear the tree - and I slow way down. This is on some very tight tree lined single track in Santa Cruz. On occasion we have gotten hung up on a tree if I hit the trail turns wrong.

I find that if you over turn and swing wide before the trail a bike follows pretty well. Think of it like a semi-truck turning.

Years ago while racing a mountain bike race up at the Napa Valley Dirt Classic in Angwin I saw a dad with his son on the single track trails, racing, and they were doing just fine - there are some pretty tight turns up there! That is what gave me the confidence to attempt it all these years later. My biggest problem is not his hands hitting trees, but the bumps and roots that toss him around a bit - once he gets a bit older we are thinking about doing foot straps for the pedals so he doesn't get bucked of the bike seat at speed.

I have some pretty narrow bars on the back - you could also put some bar ends on that curve inwards (are you thinking of the old style long Onza type bar ends?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Not sure of the handle bar diameter, but you could look to add motorcycle bark busters or roost guard. On a dirt bike w/ bark busters I can hit a tree with the handlebars and have no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We used a TAB on East Coast singletrack w/o too much issue. Just got to ride it like a tractor trailer. Wide through the turns or slow way down. We definitely caught some trees but were lucky enough not to crush little fingers. Kids always positioned their hands at the inside of the grips with a couple inches of bar protruding beyond. We have hit so hard that my knee and hip have been thrown into the stem because the TAB doesn't give.

Old set of bar ends might be a good solution. Then again, if you get one of those hung up you'll probably be tossed over the bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I guess part of the issue is that I dont even know how close I am since I cant see behind me

I think i am going to just go with some old school Climbing bars on some narrow handle bars. That will give me a couple more inches than I currently have

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Go for a ride with a GoPro on your seat post facing rearward?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yea, I would like that, but I dont have a go pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by petho View Post
    GREAT Video! Just what I needed after waking up to another Indiana snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Awesome vid.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.