Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build

My daughter has officially outgrown her GT Laguna 20" bike (currently for sale) and is due for a new ride. After looking at what is available and what I would be getting for the money spent, I decided to order a generic carbon frame and build one up from scratch.

The frame was ordered from Tideace on AliExpress but the same frame is also sold on eBay by Tideace and Dashine bikes. It weighed in at 1112 grams (any ideas on what an XS aluminum frame weighs?) and everything looks great on it so far. It has internal routing for the shifter cables which includes guides inside the frame so routing should be simple and straightforward. I found some pretty killer deals on the fork and wheels so that offset the cost quite a bit. My best guesstimate on weight is 22 pounds with pedals. Re-lacing the wheels to Crest rims with fewer spokes could help bring the weight down and so could finding a Reba or Sid instead of the Revelation. But right now I am only $25 over on my original budget so it will stay this way for now.

Frame: Tideace FM-M001 14" frame 3K weave in matte finish
    Fork: RockShox Revelation RCT3 27.5 100mm travel 15mm thru axle
    Bar: Chiner carbon flat bar 660 wide
    Grips: ESI Racer's Edge yellow
    Stem: Wake 40mm
    Seatpost: GUB 31.6 straight post
    Saddle: Codream 230x140 kids seat from Amazon
    Brakes: Shimano Deore M615
    Rotors: Avid G3 160mm 6-bolt rotors
    Wheels: Stan's Crest w/ DT Swiss 350 hubs, DT Comp spokes, Sapim aluminum nipples
    Tires: WTB Bronson Race 26x2.1
    Crank: SRAM Stylo GXP 1.1 150mm (cut down from 175)
    Chainring: 32T N/W gold ring
    Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP BB92
    Pedals: Race Face Chester
    Shifter: Shimano SLX M7000
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M7000
    Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11-42 11 speed
    Chain: Sram NX PC-1110

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-fullsizeoutput_413.jpgTideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-img_1616.jpgTideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-img_1605.jpgTideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-fullsizeoutput_414.jpg
    Last edited by BXCc; 11-30-2016 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Nice build!

Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    It weighed in at 1112 grams (any ideas on what an XS aluminum frame weighs?)
    My 11" Specialized Hotrock A1 FS 24 frame weights 1309 grams to give you an idea:

Lightening up Specialized Hotrock 24

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What's your impression of the frame quality? Any rides on the bike yet?

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting on a couple of the parts so no rides yet. My initial impression is very positive. The finish of the frame is excellent and having the cable guide tubes for the internal routing is a huge plus. That is something that definitely could have been skimped on to lower the cost but it wasn't. The communication with the seller has been outstanding and I received the frame in the northeast US in 8 days. The only issue I found was a little bump of resin that was stopping the lower headset bearing from going in smoothly. I ran some 320 grit paper over it a couple of times and now it goes in with just enough resistance that it won't fall out on it's own. This is my third generic HT frame and I expect little things like that. It isn't at the Trek or Santa Cruz level of finish quality but it isn't far off either.

mtbr member
    Very Nice, I am looking to do something similar for my son. Been looking at the trailcraft 26er's but this would be more fun. Thanks for posting.

Did you have to pay any taxes on the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Very Nice, I am looking to do something similar for my son. Been looking at the trailcraft 26er's but this would be more fun. Thanks for posting.

Did you have to pay any taxes on the frame?
    No on the taxes. The US has $800 limit so anything under that should be free.

I looked at the TrailCraft 26 Pro but the $1950 price tag was too much. Also, the headtube length is 130mm!!! That's 30mm longer than my wife's large TB3. It makes for a very tall front end. As far as price goes, everything is new except for the crank which is like new and I'm at $1025. Weight will be similar than the TrailCraft at 22ish pounds with pedals. Most of that is due to the 1800g wheels and 1775g fork.

Hopefully the rest of the parts will show up soon. I needs to be finished in time for Santa to deliver it.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I did think the pictures of the trailcraft made the front end look tall. How many inches are your bars from the ground? Why did you decide on a 27.5 fork? Is it the same axle to crown as a 26? If so, that could save $$ on the next build if the fork can transfer over.

My son is currently 4' 7 inches, so he isn't that far off of needing a bigger bike

I looked the frames up, $330 with free shipping, might need to pull the trigger!

mtbr member
    Thanks, I did think the pictures of the trailcraft made the front end look tall. How many inches are your bars from the ground? Why did you decide on a 27.5 fork? Is it the same axle to crown as a 26? If so, that could save $$ on the next build if the fork can transfer over.

My son is currently 4' 7 inches, so he isn't that far off of needing a bigger bike

I looked the frames up, $330 with free shipping, might need to pull the trigger!
    I'm not sure how high the bars will be. I can take a measurement when it's complete. I'll measure my other daughters XS GT and see where that comes in as that has a 120 or 130mm head tube. I don't quite understand why a lot of the XS 26er's have such a tall HT.

As for the 27.5 fork, the A to C is only 10mm longer than a 26 and it will stay with her for quite sometime. If she needs more travel, a relatively simple airshaft replacement can up it to 140mm. But ultimately it was because I found it on Amazon as a warehouse deal for $165! I wasn't passing up a new Revelation RCT3 27.5 for that price. I knew one of my kids would need it.

My goal with the build is to only get new frames as she grows. I may need to with some 27.5 wheels in a few years but that isn't anything major.

Also, I purchased this from AliExpress and it was $295 shipped.

mtbr member
    Great to see someone building one of these frames! My son and I have been considering one.

How tall is your daughter?

Looking forward to reading your impressions once completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FowlerWheels View Post
    Great to see someone building one of these frames! My son and I have been considering one.

How tall is your daughter?

Looking forward to reading your impressions once completed.

She is currently 4' 5". I measured the seat to bar clamp distance and it's roughly the same as her 20" bike which has a setback post and 70mm stem. I'm and still waiting on the brakes, handlebars, and valve stems so it isn't completed yet. I will post more as soon as it is. I did get the fork cut and mounted tonight though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    She is currently 4' 5". I measured the seat to bar clamp distance and it's roughly the same as her 20" bike which has a setback post and 70mm stem. I'm and still waiting on the brakes, handlebars, and valve stems so it isn't completed yet. I will post more as soon as it is. I did get the fork cut and mounted tonight though.
    Why did you skip 24"wheel size? Isn't that bike going to be quite big for your daughter at 4'5" in terms of standover height and reach? Most 26" bikes seem to have a 26" or greater standover height. That frame seems to be great for people in the low 5' range based on top tube length.

mtbr member
    Yes it will be a bit big for her and I probably should put some 24" wheels on it and I still can if it's needed. TrailCraft specs their 26er for kids 4'9" and up and has an excessively long HT for a tall front end. There is also a good chance she will grow some more between now and April when the riding season starts.

As far as the ETT goes, that's a tough number to use. They are all over the place with sizes.

536mm - Tideace 14" 26er
    525mm - TrailCraft Timber 26
    515mm - Trek Superfly 26
    529mm - Trek Superfly 24
    521.4mm - GT Laguna 24
    483.5mm - GT Laguna 20 (current bike)

So taking her current ETT of 483.5, going with a stem that is 40mm shorter and a post that is straight vs 22mm setback, puts her at a 545.5mm ETT to be equal. There is also 5" of post showing on this bike when I put the top of the seat at the same distance from the down pedal when compared to her old 20". I realize that there is more too it but I am hopeful it will work. The only kicker is the 26" wheel. Sort of like a 5'1" person riding a 29er.

mtbr member
    BXCc - Thanks for all the info, I ordered one from AliExpress today.... $300 and includes BB and headset, hard to pass up this deal.

I was going to buy the trailcraft, geo is so close to this frame, plus I will save at least $500 bucks!

mtbr member
    BXCc - Thanks for all the info, I ordered one from AliExpress today.... $300 and includes BB and headset, hard to pass up this deal.

I was going to buy the trailcraft, geo is so close to this frame, plus I will save at least $500 bucks!
    Sweet! Glad to see another going this route. Please feel free to post your progress in this thread if you like.

And it's a $500 savings versus an aluminum frame bike. Which is probably only a pound savings at the most. I know for something similar to my build, a name brand bike would be in the $2500 range. Definitely still not cheap for a kids bike though. I think my wife might be right, I have some serious gear issues.

mtbr member
    Will do, might be awhile, frame this month, maybe fork next month. Have to piece it together. My son has a Giant 24 inch that I spent some $$ on, so I should be able to sell it to finish the build early next year

ATTACH=CONFIG]1107989[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-img_1073.jpg  

mtbr member
    Will do, might be awhile, frame this month, maybe fork next month. Have to piece it together. My son has a Giant 24 inch that I spent some $$ on, so I should be able to sell it to finish the build early next year

ATTACH=CONFIG]1107989[/ATTACH]
    Nice build! Are you selling it as it is or will you be using any of the parts on the new bike?
    I looked at the same bike at the local Giant dealer a month or two back. That is one of the bikes I had her ride in the parking lot so I could get an idea of the fit numbers.
    Just for comparison sake, that 24" Giant has a 520mm TT and a 120mm head tube.

mtbr member

Could you provide a link to the listing?

mtbr member
    Nice build! Are you selling it as it is or will you be using any of the parts on the new bike?
    I looked at the same bike at the local Giant dealer a month or two back. That is one of the bikes I had her ride in the parking lot so I could get an idea of the fit numbers.
    Just for comparison sake, that 24" Giant has a 520mm TT and a 120mm head tube.
    Thank you, I will probably sell it complete. I think I could get more money that way. We live in Phoenix, so we are in riding season now, so my son needs something to ride until I get the 26er done

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes it will be a bit big for her and I probably should put some 24" wheels on it and I still can if it's needed. TrailCraft specs their 26er for kids 4'9" and up and has an excessively long HT for a tall front end. There is also a good chance she will grow some more between now and April when the riding season starts.

As far as the ETT goes, that's a tough number to use. They are all over the place with sizes.

536mm - Tideace 14" 26er
    525mm - TrailCraft Timber 26
    515mm - Trek Superfly 26
    529mm - Trek Superfly 24
    521.4mm - GT Laguna 24
    483.5mm - GT Laguna 20 (current bike)

So taking her current ETT of 483.5, going with a stem that is 40mm shorter and a post that is straight vs 22mm setback, puts her at a 545.5mm ETT to be equal. There is also 5" of post showing on this bike when I put the top of the seat at the same distance from the down pedal when compared to her old 20". I realize that there is more too it but I am hopeful it will work. The only kicker is the 26" wheel. Sort of like a 5'1" person riding a 29er.
    You have the Trek Superfly 24/26 #'s switched I think right? Yeah, at her height simply having to fight the inertia of the huge 26" wheels being way more taxing will be the biggest issue, so 24" wheels would probably be needed for sure. Head tube heights and top tube lengths can easily be solved with short and/or negative rise stems but long wheelbase, potential standover height issues and wheel size/mass for a 60 pound child on technical terrain would be the bigger concern.

mtbr member
    Could you provide a link to the listing?
    Here is the link to the one I purchased.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...610686800.html

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    You have the Trek Superfly 24/26 #'s switched I think right? Yeah, at her height simply having to fight the inertia of the huge 26" wheels being way more taxing will be the biggest issue, so 24" wheels would probably be needed for sure.
    They are correct. Unless Trek has them backwards...

Kids are so tough to size as they are all built different and their bodies don't always grow proportionally. And the measurements between 24" and 26" bikes aren't proportional either. I'm hoping the 26" wheels work but if not, it's pretty simple to grab some 24" wheels and hold the 26er's for another year or so. Another factor that doesn't make sense to me with XS frames are the crank arm lengths. Why oh why do they spec 170mm cranks on a bike made for a 5 footer while a 6 footer has 175mm??? After having her ride many bikes on and off trail in her size range, I think that this frame has the best sizing. The majority of the kids bikes seem to put them in a very cramped upright cockpit. Which is great for the kids that just run the streets in the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    BXcc, thanks for posting this. I've starting looking for the next upsize bike for my son (currently on 24" bike) and cant decide which limited options is best. Was looking at the Trek Fuel Ex Jr or Superfly 26, but both those bikes are ~29lbs (for almost $2k) so I didn't really feel good about that. I've been watching the Tideance frame on Ebay but was hesitant on trying something like this. Please keep us updated; seeing your post encourage me to try this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Would this frame work for someone who is 5'2" and 95lbs, but not a kid? :-) It's hard to find an adults XS frame that fits, especially with room for a dropper post.
    Sorry for going slightly off-topic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
    Would this frame work for someone who is 5'2" and 95lbs, but not a kid? :-) It's hard to find an adults XS frame that fits, especially with room for a dropper post.
    Sorry for going slightly off-topic!
    At 5'2", I would think that it would be a bit small. I ride with a woman who is 5'1" and rides an extra small Juliana Furtado (SC 5010 v2) and it fits her really well. My oldest is pushing 5' and I have been looking at this one for her next bike.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.NgmwaI

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    At 5'2", I would think that it would be a bit small. I ride with a woman who is 5'1" and rides an extra small Juliana Furtado (SC 5010 v2) and it fits her really well. My oldest is pushing 5' and I have been looking at this one for her next bike.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.NgmwaI
    Thanks, very interesting! The Futardo is about 10x the price of these frames, so I think we'll try the Tideace frame first. Looks like this frame can be set up with QR or thru-axle, so we could run the existing QR wheels for now and upgrade in the future?

mtbr member
    I got the frame in 7 days from China!

mtbr member
    BXCc -did you use the headset that came with teh frame? unless I am missing something, the bearings will sit right inside the frame on the carbon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
    Thanks, very interesting! The Futardo is about 10x the price of these frames, so I think we'll try the Tideace frame first. Looks like this frame can be set up with QR or thru-axle, so we could run the existing QR wheels for now and upgrade in the future?
    Ya the Furtado was for size reference only. I like the 135 / 142 options too. Should be a good fit though

mtbr member
    BXCc -did you use the headset that came with teh frame? unless I am missing something, the bearings will sit right inside the frame on the carbon?
    Yup. I used the supplied headset and yes it just goes straight in the frame.

mtbr member
    BXCc - did you get teh bike finished? Any ride reports? I have frame, fork and should have the wheels on Sunday. Hoping to get it done by the end of January, will post some pics soon....

Thanks

mtbr member
    Well there was a delay with the brakes and handlebars so that put things off for a bit. The brakes finally arrived last Friday and my daughter helped me install them over the weekend. She isn't too happy right now though as the driveway and roads are covered in ice and slush so riding isn't an option. We hope to get a ride in next week sometime.

As far as fit goes, it looks really good when she is on the bike. The standover is a stretch though. If she doesn't grow a bit over the next 4 months, I may need to find some 24" wheels to help out a bit. Otherwise, she will ride her old bike on the trails and keep this for bike path riding until she gets used to it and grows into it. It's a bit of a bummer but not unexpected. I did the same with her sister when she was due for a bigger bike.

mtbr member
    Hi Guy's -

Working on my sons build as the budget allows. Shopping for deals on parts, here is what we have so far, bit so far, hope to have it done mid Feb. Anyone have suggestions on kids seats?

Thanks

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-img_2236.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks great! I wish I would have found a black fork for our build but it didn't work out that way. White and new was as cheap or cheaper than black and used. I went with the Crest wheels too. Relatively light and a good tubeless setup.
    Here is what both of my girls are running for seats. They aren't super light but they are nice and short, comfortable for them, come in a couple of colors, and under $20 on Amazon.

Soft Bicycle Seat for Kids and Teens Comfortable Human Shape and Ventilation Design Children Bike Seat 9x5.5inch(Black + Yellow) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FQ9W6Q..._phPDybCHQ9NS3

I don't wear a watch.
    Been happy with this one. Very light and the right size for my 8 year old. https://www.ebay.com/itm/291772374866

mtbr member
    Thanks, I will check it out...

mtbr member
    It only took 3 months but the handlebars finally arrived and she helped me install them today. She is super happy with how it came out. And now for pictures.

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-fullsizerender_1.jpgTideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-fullsizerender_2.jpgTideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-fullsizerender.jpgTideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-img_2177.jpg
    Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-img_2180.jpg

mtbr member
    It only took 3 months but the handlebars finally arrived and she helped me install them today. She is super happy with how it came out. And now for pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_1.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	1120022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_2.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	1120021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	1120020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	1120019

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg 
Views:	784 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	1120017
    Looks awesome! I'm sure she's stoked to have that and will always appreciate your dedication to her and her hobbies!

mtbr member
    Looks great, nice work!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great build and thanks for sharing. It's really helped to push me to go the same route. My son is 4'10 and when he outgrows this frame I can pass it down to his younger sister. He was needing a better fork and the ole 2013 XTC Jr 24 frame is just so unaccommodating that it was starting to cost twice the money just to work around its shortcomings. Finding a solid 1-1/8 straight steerer fork that is not junk or a boat anchor had turned out to like the search for Sasquatch. The forks I found at this point in time are two to three times the price of the this frame, so I said to myself might as well cut my losses and move him up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I got my FM-001 in today. The big box felt empty almost, it was so light. But now I have to figure out cranks. My son's old 150mm cranks are BSA, smh things always have to be difficult. I did find the SRAM NX GXP Crankset which comes in 155mm lengths with 24mm spindle. And its cheap and relatively light. I'll go this route versus getting BB92 to BSA adapter.

Anyone have suggestions on kids seats?
    Have you looked at the Tioga D-Spyder BMX seat? It's shorter than the adult seat and pretty light, weight weenie status.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I got my FM-001 in today. The big box felt empty almost, it was so light. But now I have to figure out cranks. My son's old 150mm cranks are BSA, smh things always have to be difficult. I did find the SRAM NX GXP Crankset which comes in 155mm lengths with 24mm spindle. And its cheap and relatively light. I'll go this route versus getting BB92 to BSA adapter.
    Sweet! I'm glad the thread has helped some others. The NX cranksets are pretty good for the price. I need to get one for my other daughters bike. For this one, I just cut down, drilled, and tapped some Stylo 175 cranks to 150. The cutting and tapping process is pretty simple and straight forward if you have any laying around.

I came across this 26" SID XX the other day if anyone is in need of a fork. It's 120mm but can easily be lowered with a new airshaft.

https://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Tape...f_rd_i=desktop

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    For the crank, I didn't want to deal with cutting and tapping since I was buying new cranks, might as well avoid that. And the NX are pretty light too. In that price range Zee's are over 840g where the NX are 680g, such a huge difference. I stayed with QR on the 26, already had the wheels from when I built up the 24er set from the old frame. I just ordered new sapim lasers and dt alloy nips. Bikehubstore is blowing out their stock of 26er rims, so I got a pair those, 430g fairly light and strong for 20ea.

Man the waiting game always kills me during a build.

mtbr member
    That's always the toughest part. It's definitely fun though building them from the bare frame. The NX crank was my plan for this one too but I had the Stylo's from a previous bike so I figured I would give the drill and tap method a try. Good luck on the build and post pictures along the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ok all finished up and just in time too. My son has his first event this weekend. I had him do some shakedown runs. He got too excited and laid it down too, grits teeth. Luckily he just washed out, and it was hard to tell how much rash he had because of the dirt/mud. Anyways, nothing broke on him or the bike. The frame is pretty darn stiff. I covered it in a lot of 3M. As of right now with the reverb dropper, weight is 22.5lbs with a mix of a couple key weight weenie parts and the rest are standard fare. It's not too bad of a weight.

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-fq2z6kjh.jpg

mtbr member
    Great build! I definitely would have liked to put a SID WC on our build. 22.5 pounds is great especially with the dropper. He must be so excited. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Looks great!

mtbr member
    Finished my sons bike a couple of weeks ago, and he is loving it! Thinking about taking thr fork down to a 80mm until he gets a little taller and we can rasie the set height. Seems like the front end is wandering on him during the climbs. Thinking the 80mm might add a little weight to the front.

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-img_2290.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great build! I definitely would have liked to put a SID WC on our build. 22.5 pounds is great especially with the dropper. He must be so excited. Thanks for posting.
    Yea, he's pretty excited. I finally got around to building him a set of wheels. I just threw on a very old set of Easton XC1 wheels. I built up a set with WTB Speeddisc and Sapim Lasers with the old Rotaz hubs. Then I taped them up and poured some stans in. Now he can run ridiculously low pressures, especially good for his weight.

Oh btw, I came across this frame from Shenzen First, its the FM125. I believe it can be ordered in 26er and as small as 15.5, and it is fully internally routed and boost. I was thinking at the end of the year when his bike handling skills have improved. Just got quoted 538 for the frame, and probably 80 ish for shipping. That is as cheap as a used circa 2010-2013 26er full suspension frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    For the crank, I didn't want to deal with cutting and tapping since I was buying new cranks, might as well avoid that.
    It's really not so hard as you think.... I've done 2 sets now and the last set took 30 mins. I'm currently waiting for some Zee's to arrive and going to do those and get rid of the square taper BB. On the other hand too long cranks are far more of a negative than standover height etc. as they pull the kid forwards to try and make the circle.

And the NX are pretty light too. In that price range Zee's are over 840g where the NX are 680g, such a huge difference.
    Quite a bit less difference once you cut off the ends.... I can post back next week on weight .... unluckily I'm away with work Saturday and I'm not giving up riding Sunday ...so they won't get done until next week

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I didn't write that it was hard. I wrote that I didn't want to deal with it, and we don't need to get into another crank length debate do we? I've got enough shit to build and fix, procure, kids to drive to practices, I don't need to add more stuff on just because. And since this frame is a pressfit, its silly to convert a square taper to it, so since I'm buying a new crank might as well get the nx and not have to deal with cutting and tapping, etc. You dig?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I didn't write that it was hard. I wrote that I didn't want to deal with it, and we don't need to get into another crank length debate do we? I've got enough shit to build and fix, procure, kids to drive to practices, I don't need to add more stuff on just because. And since this frame is a pressfit, its silly to convert a square taper to it, so since I'm buying a new crank might as well get the nx and not have to deal with cutting and tapping, etc. You dig?
    Avoiding a crank length debate then ....
    I wasn't suggesting a square taper... just pointing out the actual crank shortening is almost trivial.... (compared to all the other stuff you are doing) but arguably (without getting into the crank length debate) might have the biggest effect on bike handling.

When I said it's 1/2 hour it really is....

The problem with the crank length debate is how hard/expensive it is to TRY... hence it's a debate for anyone that didn't try... One of the other guys who built up a carbon 26er didn't initially try then did... and then like me decided it was a huge difference and ended up changing their OWN crank length as well!

It all really depends how close the NX ones are and if your PF BB can take a HT II or its got a built in reducer for the SRAM cranks.... but I'm really just saying don't be put off by thinking the crank shortening part will take a lot of time/effort

I'd convinced myself it was much much harder than it turned out (as in it must be less straightforwards than it seems and have unexpected gotchas) but in reality it's less effort than just doing an easy tubeless conversion and way less technical than changing a PF BB or internal headset. Our lists are practically identical ... but out of everything it turned out to probably be the one thing that was actually much easier than I'd planned/expected....

The last set I didn't even bother using the jig I made for the first one...it's just not needed.

The only bit I'd like to work out is if its remotely possible to change the actual spindle off the Zee as that's where the weight is...

mtbr member
    I completely agree with both of you.

For this build, I had some Stylo cranks that were like new and not being used. The cut and tap process was pretty simple and very effective.

But I also just bought some NX cranks in the 155 flavor for my other daughters bike. She has an extra small 2014 GT Avalanche that she loves and doesn't want to give it up. But it came with 170 crank arms. Which is pretty ridiculous since it's for someone in the 5 foot range. I debated about finding some old square taper arms to cut and tap but ultimately, I didn't want to take the time to save $50. After swapping the BB and the crankset, it saved roughly 250 grams, and 220 grams was just in the BB. The only thing about the NX cranks that I'm not a big fan of is the 94bcd instead of 104. I get why it's 94, as it would be hard to go with a ring smaller than 30t, but it also makes it hard to find cheap colored chainrings to add bling to the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone care to put a component list here so I can try to price one of these out? I've never built a bike frame up but figured this would be a great way for my daughter to learn a bit as well. The most intimidating thing for me is trying to figure out what parts to use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Anyone care to put a component list here so I can try to price one of these out? I've never built a bike frame up but figured this would be a great way for my daughter to learn a bit as well. The most intimidating thing for me is trying to figure out what parts to use.
    If I was to build another, I would probably duplicate the list I have in the first post. Drivetrain, brakes, seats, handlebars, cranks, and such will be pretty similar in price. They don't vary a whole lot unless you find some smoking deals or need to go very high end. The two big ticket items that can eat up a lot of the funds are the wheels and the fork.

After looking at my cost list, you should be able to build a very similar bike (with OUT wheels and fork) for around $650 to $750.

A good quality used fork in great shape will run probably $200 to $250.

Wheels, well that is quite a big range. I would think you could get some great wheels for $150 to $250.

So if you're not in a rush, I think $1100 to $1400 is easily doable for something similar to my daughters. Getting under $1000 might be tough unless you have some donor parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Use this for comparison.

Trailcraft Cycles

It really depends on what your goal is for the bike and child. I built a race bike with dropper, but had to err on the side of extra durable on the wheels due to the type of trails he would ride and not just race on. Maybe in the future I'll build another set of wheels for raceday, can make them sub 1300 grams w/o blowing the budget. Current wheels are around 1600 grams iirc.

Our Tideace is mostly SLX, BHS hubs, Sapim Laser spokes, WTB speedisc rims (not the lightest but very burly given the rider weight), NX cranks 32t, 1x 11-42t cassette with wolf expander, SID World Cup 26 QR fork, Reverb 100mm dropper, etc. W/o really trying hard bike is 22.5lbs with heavy SPD pedals. Though I suppose the fork is trying hard, but it was relatively cheap at 300 bucks so not that hard. All told cost was around $1800 ish. Compare this config with the Trailcraft at maximum kit, and I think I came out ahead.

mtbr member
    Just thougth I would share with the group. This is the fork I put on my sons build. It has gone up in price, but this fork is light and very plush, even for him at 60lbs. I set the air at 20lb and it seems to work really well...

https://blueskycycling.com/collectio...m-qr-fork-2014

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just thougth I would share with the group. This is the fork I put on my sons build. It has gone up in price, but this fork is light and very plush, even for him at 60lbs. I set the air at 20lb and it seems to work really well...

https://blueskycycling.com/collectio...m-qr-fork-2014
    Yea one can find some decent deals with a lil effort. The SID World Cup fork on our Tideace was $320 when typical used forks sell for $250.

mtbr member
    Yup. The forks are easy to find when you do NOT need it. I know for me it's only when I need it that I can't find a deal.

I was hoping to find a Reba for my daughters build but it didn't happen. And now I have found another new Revelation for cheap which I just picked up. So the new black Rev will go on the Tideace frame and the white one will be moved to my other daughters bike which is white. In reality it doesn't make much sense but after selling the Reba (dual air which is a PITA) on daughter #1's white bike and picking up the new black Rev for daughter #2, I'll be out $20. So I guess for some of us, it's a little more than just a hobby.

mtbr member
    If anyone is still looking, here is a good one.

Amazon has a RS Revelation XX World Cup for $242. The Rev's aren't the lightest but it does have the carbon crown which helps a bit. Listed weight is 1634 grams. It will need a new airshaft to be lowered to 100mm of travel though so that will add $25 or so. But it will still be under $275 for a sweet new fork.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ^^Nice find.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Use this for comparison.

Trailcraft Cycles

It really depends on what your goal is for the bike and child. Maybe in the future I'll build another set of wheels for raceday, can make them sub 1300 grams w/o blowing the budget. Current wheels are around 1600 grams iirc.

Our Tideace is mostly SLX, BHS hubs, Sapim Laser spokes, WTB speedisc rims (not the lightest but very burly given the rider weight), NX cranks 32t, 1x 11-42t cassette with wolf expander, SID World Cup 26 QR fork, Reverb 100mm dropper, etc. W/o really trying hard bike is 22.5lbs with heavy SPD pedals. Though I suppose the fork is trying hard, but it was relatively cheap at 300 bucks so not that hard. All told cost was around $1800 ish. Compare this config with the Trailcraft at maximum kit, and I think I came out ahead.
    We recently bought a Trailcraft Cycles Timber 26 "Special Build" which is $1599 and paid $79 shipping.
    Trailcraft Cycles

I followed this post but quickly realized I don't have the time nor bandwidth to scour the internet for 26" gear as forks and decent wheels do seem to be the hard part. So I guess we took the easy way - Timber 26 for $1678 delivered and the bike is 22.6 pounds with pedals ready to ride, nothing else to modify, no new wheels needed.

The Trailcraft came totally dialed and took 10 minutes to remove the wrapping and set up, almost too easy. It's got a fairly light Rock Shox 30 Gold fork which is 1630 grams but the best part is it uses the same Stans 26" Podium wheels which are 1290 grams as their Pro kit. Light wheels and low bike weight were important factors for me.

I know many people don't plan on resale value, but this is important because I don't have multiple kids like many to pass the bike down to. In our bike club there are a couple kids on Pineridge 24's. As one outgrew his last month there were two families literally battling it out for his Pineridge 24. So the resale value and second hand demand seems really good on Trailcrafts. Not sure a Tideace or other generic chinese carbon would fare the same demand in the future? Anyway, worth considering if resale is important and feel I got a great lightweight 26" bike based on my insane work/family balance schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Not sure a Tideace or other generic chinese carbon would fare the same demand in the future? Anyway, worth considering if resale is important and feel I got a great lightweight 26" bike based on my insane work/family balance schedule.
    You'd be surprised. I always get parents who stop at our car when loading up at the end of a race and they are amazed I found a carbon frame 26er and its been thru a season of NICA. They can always tell something is different about his bike, the geometry isn't mashed together and its sized right. It really is a universal problem for parents isn't it? That said, the frame cost me $300, it'll sell for just a lil bit off as there's no damage and its hit a tree, a boulder, who knows how many ties its been laid down, etc etc. The lacquer coat is surprisingly sturdy. And carbon will last almost forever as long as you don't hit it with a pointy object, especially in regards to corrosion. That said the parts are going to move to a larger frame or a FS frame as my son grows. The Tideace will probably go to his sister, but it doesn't really matter as it was very cheap and I'm know of plenty of families to pawn it off on when the time comes.

Regarding your choice, its a fine choice. I get the not wanting to build it up and the time issues and requirements. Its great to have a source like Trailcraft. For myself, I had better build his bike up by hand because I'm the team mechanic lol.

That said I have sourced a 26er full carbon FS frame in 15.5" for the summer season and park use. It took a lot of missteps along the way but I finally got a great frame. It's the FM076 model with the wide rectangular downtube, its very fat. They threw in both QR and thru-axle dropouts.

Here's the Tideace as it is today.

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-qoil9myh.jpg

I'll be transferring all the parts from above to the frame below. The frame weighed 1890 grams w/o the shock. Hehe that is soo light! I've been busy applying the 3M, and waiting on a BB30 outboard as the Tideace is a BB92. I suspect it will weight just over 25lbs as the difference in the frame weight and addition of a shock is roughly 1k grams, or 2 1/3 lbs. The geometry is pretty current and its more trail oriented than xc racing which is what was asked for.

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-nnabrlzh.jpg
    Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-rkitzpeh.jpg

Maybe I should make a new thread? This thread led me/us on this path, so many thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I still need to transfer the dropper and finish some misc things like apply reflective tape but its about done. I'm going to route the reverb hose thru the front mech internal route. It weighs about 24.5lbs as is. The dropper should push that to 25.5lbs ish.

Tideace
    vs
    FM076
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-qoil9myh.jpg  

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-lqtfzitl.jpg  

Last edited by thesmokingman; 05-02-2018 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    That's awesome!! How does your boy fit on it and how tall is he? I'm looking for a 27.5" frame for my oldest daughter.

mtbr member
    I also made a quick fork swap. I found a RS Revelation in black so the white fork went on her sister's bike and she got the black fork. White bike - white fork, black bike - black fork. All is right in the color matching world that I live in.

Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-fullsizerender-5-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's awesome!! How does your boy fit on it and how tall is he? I'm looking for a 27.5" frame for my oldest daughter.
    He was 4'11 iirc or something around there. He said to me that there seemed to be more room compared to the Tideace. I carefully inspected the frame and I have to say I am quite pleased with the construction and fit. What frame are you looking at btw?

I also made a quick fork swap. I found a RS Revelation in black so the white fork went on her sister's bike and she got the black fork. White bike - white fork, black bike - black fork. All is right in the color matching world that I live in.
    Hehe, yea I know the dilemma all too well.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at some 27.5" wheeled hardtails. They are great little riders but they don't need full squish at this point. I have a few in mind but nothing has stuck out as the perfect one yet. Looking for some certain measurements.
    CS length under 430mm
    ETT over 560mm
    HT length under 105
    BB needs to be BSA or BB92
    Price preferably under $350

I'm not sure which one I'll settle on, but I'm also in no rush. If anyone finds something, please feel free to share.

Here is another fork. RS Reba RL 120mm for $260.

RockShox Reba RL Maxle Lite Tapered Steerer Pushloc Remote Right Solo 120mm Air Fork, Black, 26-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPGLRWU..._tHetzb9S60830

mtbr member

Name:	FullSizeRender (5).jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	1143136
    How tall is your daughter in this pic?

My son is 54" and I'm considering beginning a Tideance build as well. Currently on a Trek Superfly 24" and it's perfect but he's growing so fast.

mtbr member
    How tall is your daughter in this pic?

My son is 54" and I'm considering beginning a Tideance build as well. Currently on a Trek Superfly 24" and it's perfect but he's growing so fast.

She is currently 53". If your boy is 54", he should be good to go. She has one 10mm spacer under a 40mm long stem installed with a straight seat post. Just to give you an idea on the fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Can anyone help me out with the headset (top and bottom cup) size? I just received the Tidace frame and while nitpicky, I'd like to pick up a Hope headset that matches the rest of my daughter's build. White bike, blue bits...I'm just the dad doing the building
    I know it's an integrated headset and it's tapered, but am having problems with the actual numbers. I think the top cup is an IS41/28.6 (Hope has type 3 and type 7?), and the bottom cup may be an IS52/40? Cheer in advance for any help - your builds and write ups are what pushed me over the edge to build my daughter's 26er!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Watarski View Post
    Can anyone help me out with the headset (top and bottom cup) size? I just received the Tidace frame and while nitpicky, I'd like to pick up a Hope headset that matches the rest of my daughter's build. White bike, blue bits...I'm just the dad doing the building
    I know it's an integrated headset and it's tapered, but am having problems with the actual numbers. I think the top cup is an IS41/28.6 (Hope has type 3 and type 7?), and the bottom cup may be an IS52/40? Cheer in advance for any help - your builds and write ups are what pushed me over the edge to build my daughter's 26er!
    Have you seen the PDF hidden away on Hope website?
    This for me finally solved the mystery from reading the specs on supplier headsets when I changed the headset on jnr s full suss.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/u...TING-CHART.pdf

In my case I cheated as I had the LBS fit the headset. The labour cost was 1/4 the price of the parts and way cheaper than buying the proper tools. I was fitting a tapered steerer in a straight and wasn't 100% sure it would work. I paid £15 for the fitting and they cut the steerer and fitted star nut as well for free.

I guess I also may have paid £5 more in total for the headset than cheapest possible online price but ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Started my project with help from BXCc. Same frame from Seller Airwolf. Should have it in about a month and will use the winter to slowly acquire parts.

Now time to find a decent fork. If anyone finds a screaming deal on a good 26" air fork, please let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Started my project with help from BXCc. Same frame from Seller Airwolf. Should have it in about a month and will use the winter to slowly acquire parts.

Now time to find a decent fork. If anyone finds a screaming deal on a good 26" air fork, please let me know.

Awesome! If you're not in a rush, the fork and crankset on this one might be up for grabs this winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome! If you're not in a rush, the fork and crankset on this one might be up for grabs this winter.
    Definitely would be interested. Give me a heads up when you are ready.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Would anyone have any insight into the Axel to Crown requirements of a rigid 26 fork if I were to put one on this frame? I am thinking about going to rigid route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Would anyone have any insight into the Axel to Crown requirements of a rigid 26 fork if I were to put one on this frame? I am thinking about going to rigid route.
    The frame geometry is based on a 100mm 26" fork which is roughly 480mm. Figuring on 25 to 30mm of sag, I would probably stick with something between 450 and 480 to keep the numbers right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Since we switched to the FM076 FS frame, I didn't know what to do with Tideace. After talking with my son we decided for xmas to convert the old Tideace to rigid, single speed with discs and with hybrid tires. That way he can tool around the neighborhood. I ordered a 26er rigid carbon fork and will transfer some parts to it. I'll probably run an Origin Ultim8 16t cog with a 42t chainring with another NX crankset. Makes it easier to drop into the existing BB92/GXP bottom bracket. I'll transfer the existing wheelset and build a new one for the FM076. Bought a cheap set of Shimano hydro brakes to go with it.

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    If anyone has built this frame up with a FD, could you post what FD worked for you? I have some 10speed parts. Was looking at a 2x10 drivetrain. Did you use a TS/BS BP FD? My son is coming from a 24" 2x9. TIA.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Sorry I can help with the FD selection process but what about just getting a Sunrace 11-42 10 speed cassette? It might be easier for your boy to only have one shifter.

SunRace | CSMX3

Jumps Like An Elephant
    Jan 2004
    The SunRace 11-42 BXCc speaks of works great, I used to use one on my Enduro. Highly recommend 1x over 2x for kids and adults! They have a 11-50 out now too (SunRace), but you will need a newer derailuer or some hacks, but on a 26", I can't imagine 42T not being enough, with ease you can get a 30T front ring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I second or third going 1x. Kids have a hard enough time keeping everything they've got going in focus so anything we can do to minimize their mental load is a plus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Almost done. I had to rebuild the wheels also changing nipples to Sapim Secure Locks, swapped to a 38t chainring, the chinese carbon fork of course, and now waiting on tires to get here before I can finish up. Weight currently is at 12lbs. I've no idea what gearing will work for him, so I am starting off with 38x16t with an Origin8 Ultim8 cog w/ its dual carrier design to spread weight. The Tideace runs an older set of Rotaz hubs with alu body so no biteguard. The Origin8 cog should keep the alu body from getting torn up, crosses fingers.

*Tires came in today, threw them on and finished it up. I used Conti Town n Country tires. They are were the lightest tires for the price at 650g and 25 bucks. Total weight came to just over 18lbs with pedals and straps. Will snap some pics tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-rcvx5di.jpg  

Last edited by thesmokingman; 05-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Just bought this frame for my 9yo off ebay. Hopefully it comes in soon so I can build it up before Christmas.

Thanks for the great information on this thread. It helped me make a decision. Originally I was going to have his current AL frame sandblasted and powdercoated, but for more than half the price of a new frame it was a no brainer to just buy a new frame.

I also bought my 12 yo daughter a teal green carbon frame. It's going to be great to see their excited faces.

Ok, got to go, I'm off to shred some BCSP trail with my little rippers!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Inseam?

What is your daughters inseam?

Looks awesome! I'm sure she's stoked to have that and will always appreciate your dedication to her and her hobbies!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc_live View Post
    What is your daughters inseam?
    Sorry for the late reply. Her barefoot inseam is 25 inches right now. She has grown some over the past year so I’m not sure what it was this past spring when she started riding it. Maybe 24 inches give or take.

mtbr member
    A Christmas miracle this year. Didn't think this frame would get here before Christmas but it showed up last night and I went to work on it! Had it done by 11 PM. Kiddos gonna freak! I'm impressed so far with the frame quality

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT-XYZ View Post
    A Christmas miracle this year. Didn't think this frame would get here before Christmas but it showed up last night and I went to work on it! Had it done by 11 PM. Kiddos gonna freak! I'm impressed so far with the frame quality

Perfect timing then! Everyone loves new bike day, especially on Christmas. The build looks great.

mtbr member
    Perfect timing then! Everyone loves new bike day, especially on Christmas. The build looks great.
    Thanks! Comes in at 20.5 lbs with out pedas. SLX 1x11 group, chiner bars and seatpost, Reba fork, crossmax slr wheels, Ra Ra tire front, Renegade rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Wow this is an amazing thread. I was researching these frames as an option for my son and am stoked. He is in 8th grade and is going to be racing his first NICA season this year. He is 4'11. Luckily anything he grows out of, will go to my daughter, who is also racing in 6th grade this year. He is presently riding a 2005 26" Specialized XC that I have converted to 1x9 with a 32" chainring and 11x42 cluster. He is great with this gearing at the time. It has a Fox 26" F100R airshock (upgrade from stock). Pic of bike attached (specs below)

We have been running into problems, mainly because he really wants a dropper, and with the interrupted seat tube, and his height, it's just not possible. Plus I think he'd be better off on something a bit newer.

So I was thinking of maybe moving him to a hardtail to race, then maybe getting a full suspension frame in the future (as he wants to rider park).

Here is my question: How much would I be able to swith over from the old bike? We are currently practicing, so I may be able to have his bike down for 3-5 days (can can use his brothers bike) but need to be able to get it up and running pretty quick. Then I can upgrade components as we go!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrades from specs below:
    Short Stem
    Wide Bars
    Fox 26" F100R Fork
    1x9 drivetrain with 32" chainring and 11x42 cassette

Specs from Bikepedia (note some upgrades and fork have changed)

Frame & Fork

Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Material A1 Premium aluminum
    Fork Manitou Axel Comp, 100mm
    Fork Materal Aluminum/magnesium, single crown
    Rear Shock X-Fusion air, 100mm
    Components

Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Aluminum linear-pull brakes, Shimano M-420 levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Deore
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore, bottom-pull/clamp-on 34.9mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
    Crankset Shimano, 22/32/44 teeth
    Pedals Aluminum platform
    Bottom Bracket Shimano UN-25, 113mm spindle
    BB Shell Width 68mm English
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
    Chain Shimano CN-HG53, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Aluminum micro-adjust
    Saddle Specialized BG
    Handlebar Extensions Not applicable
    Handlebars XC mid rise
    Handlebar Stem Aluminum
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless sealed cartridge
    Wheels

Wheel Size 26" wheels
    Hubs Front: Specialized Disc, Rear: Shimano FH-M475 disc
    Rims Aluminum double wall, 32-hole
    Front Tire 26 x 2.00" Specialized Adrenaline
    Rear Tire Not Available
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 15ga. (1.8mm) straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tideace Fm-M001 14" 26er carbon HT build-specialized-xc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Everything should swap over with the exception of his crankset and possibly his seatpost. What size is his current seatpost? As most have stated on here the sram NX crankset is a great option for about $100. You may also need a crown race reducer if his fork is not a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    His seatpost is a 30.9 (we were planning to replace that anyway). The fork is not tapered so I will have to deal with a crown reducer. When I do research and adapters going from straight to tapered, most say that you have to go with an adapter that matches the headset (same brand). Problem is, if I buy a frame with headset and BB included, then it might be hard to find and adapter. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownfish View Post
    His seatpost is a 30.9 (we were planning to replace that anyway). The fork is not tapered so I will have to deal with a crown reducer. When I do research and adapters going from straight to tapered, most say that you have to go with an adapter that matches the headset (same brand). Problem is, if I buy a frame with headset and BB included, then it might be hard to find and adapter. Any thoughts?
    I went with the FSA crown race reducer and it matched up just fine with the supplied headset on the tideace frame. If you use the NX crank the supplied BB should work as well. I ordered a sram not realizing the frame came with the proper BB.

mtbr member
    Wow this is an amazing thread. I was researching these frames as an option for my son and am stoked.
    Thanks. I'm glad it has helped others.

As James has already mentioned, most of everything should swap over. The NX cranks are definitely the best bang for the buck when it comes to shorter crank arms and the supplied BB should work with it. If not, a new BB should be under $30 for a Sram one, cheaper for an off brand. Depending on how the rear brake cable is routed, you may need a new length of hose if it isn't long enough. As for the headset reducer, this one should work.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bike...ceBeautifyAB=2

But on another note, if he is already 4'11", you might want to consider a slightly bigger frame. My oldest daughter is currently the same height and we are building a new bike for over the course of this winter. Her old bike was pretty close in size to this Tideace 14" bike that I built for my youngest daughter. Most "small" sized bikes are made for people 5' and up. So if he is a typical kid, he will probably be there before you finish reading this post. Anyway, here is what I'm building over the winter.
    650B Mountain Bicycle Carbon Frame MTB 27.5er

Here is the thread I started for it.
    CS-406 carbon hardtail build

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea, I was thinking that I might want to go with a 15.5", as he already rides that size (although I still think it's a touch big). The biggest problem is I would have to buy everything all at once if I went the 27.5 route. He seems to look far better right now on a 26" bike fit wise. We have 2 boys, so two bikes. One is the 26" and the other is a Specialized 15.5" 27.5 Pitch that is a year or so old. Both are size small at 15.5". He likes the smaller 26" wheel size better right now. Plus most of the components on the Pitch are throw away. Don't get me wrong, they work for what they are and have held up pretty well so far, but it just bugs me that they could have easily and pretty inexpensively, put on a 9 speed cassette and a crankset that didn't have the chainrings riveted on.

So I think my only real option is to go with a 15.5" 26er, so I can use all the spare parts from the donor bike (cost wise with 3 kids riding is tough, it really cuts into my bike budget). This also presents a problem with my daughters next bike, as she probably only has a year at most on her 24" bike (she just got a Diamondback Syncr 24" for Christmas). The 14" 26er would be such a great next bike for her.

Another question, why did you decide to go with a Carbon Speed frame vs another Tideace?

mtbr member
    Another question, why did you decide to go with a Carbon Speed frame vs another Tideace?
    Sorry for the late reply

There were a few reasons, none of them are significant but they all added up. It was between the CS-406 and the FM-036 from Tideace. The CS has a slightly longer TT, shorter CS’s, and is BB92 or BSA. The Tideace was a bit cheaper but it would require me getting a new PF30 crankset which negates the price difference. Since cost was the very close, it came down to geometry and my preference for dealing with Peter at XMCarbonSpeed. I also ordered some rims at the same time so that helped differ the shipping costs.

You could always just run 26” wheels on a 27.5 inch frame. Just make sure the crankset is on the short side to allow for clearance. I would assume that 160’s would do just fine. My daughters previous bike was a 26” wheeled 13.5” frame GT Avalanche that came with 170mm cranks. Not cool GT, not cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry for the late reply

There were a few reasons, none of them are significant but they all added up. It was between the CS-406 and the FM-036 from Tideace. The CS has a slightly longer TT, shorter CS’s, and is BB92 or BSA. The Tideace was a bit cheaper but it would require me getting a new PF30 crankset which negates the price difference. Since cost was the very close, it came down to geometry and my preference for dealing with Peter at XMCarbonSpeed. I also ordered some rims at the same time so that helped differ the shipping costs.

You could always just run 26” wheels on a 27.5 inch frame. Just make sure the crankset is on the short side to allow for clearance. I would assume that 160’s would do just fine. My daughters previous bike was a 26” wheeled 13.5” frame GT Avalanche that came with 170mm cranks. Not cool GT, not cool.
    Read though this thread as my son who's 7 is 4'6" and has out grown his 20" Walmart bike we take on the trails. Looking into a 24" and the weight of them at 33lbs is just ridiculous when he only weighs 55.

I'm curious to your thoughts on this 14" frame with 26" for his size. He's really skinny which is why I wanted to go as light as I can...and I have a 26" spare bike with a adult medium frame that's just to big by about 6-8in. The TT on that spare bike is about 586mm and he'd be pretty much leaning flat forward to reach (which I could adjust with stem, bars, seat to some extent)

I saw a few 16" frames on eBay or maybe Aliexpress...but was curious as to your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You can squeeze 4'6 on the Tideace. I did it with my kid, so did the OP. Your kids seems tall for 7, so you could get a lot of use out of the frame. Just make sure you get the short cranks so they are not over extending despite the large (to them) frame size. I'm partial to the Tideace because its a known quantity and quality. If I had to do it again, I would have skipped the 24in bike altogether.

Also, something to keep in mind is that the Tideace's headtube is real short. It may not fit Rockshox tapered Alu steerers. I believe Fox steerers use a quicker tapered to straight transition so they will work. Fox publishes their technical drawings on their forks so you can look up the tapered transition height to confirm. And Rockshox carbon steerers fit w/o issue since they have a very short taper. If you have a straight steerer then you can use a conversion crown race and be done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can squeeze 4'6 on the Tideace. I did it with my kid, so did the OP. Your kids seems tall for 7, so you could get a lot of use out of the frame. Just make sure you get the short cranks so they are not over extending despite the large (to them) frame size. I'm partial to the Tideace because its a known quantity and quality. If I had to do it again, I would have skipped the 24in bike altogether.

Also, something to keep in mind is that the Tideace's headtube is real short. It may not fit Rockshox tapered Alu steerers. I believe Fox steerers use a quicker tapered to straight transition so they will work. Fox publishes their technical drawings on their forks so you can look up the tapered transition height to confirm. And Rockshox carbon steerers fit w/o issue since they have a very short taper. If you have a straight steerer then you can use a conversion crown race and be done.
    Great - I pulled the trigger on the tideace 14". I have a set of 26" that I plan to put on it and an older lefty fork with a straight steerer kit to allow it to fit any bike with a head tube less than 138mm length/height (I've done it on another).

I was looking at some 145mm cranks to run on it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice, grats on the pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Great - I pulled the trigger on the tideace 14". I have a set of 26" that I plan to put on it and an older lefty fork with a straight steerer kit to allow it to fit any bike with a head tube less than 138mm length/height (I've done it on another).

I was looking at some 145mm cranks to run on it...
    Nice! Sounds like a great plan. And yes, 4'6" is doable, especially since he will only keep growing. I'm currently running a 2017 RS SID RL with a tapered steerer on the frame and it fits just fine.

You should be able to get it under 23 pounds without much hassle or major expense. I'm going to be taking the original 150ish mm cranks off of the bike to run some 155's soon if those would interest you. They are the Stylo cranks that I cut down and tapped for the original build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice! Sounds like a great plan. And yes, 4'6" is doable, especially since he will only keep growing. I'm currently running a 2017 RS SID RL with a tapered steerer on the frame and it fits just fine.

You should be able to get it under 23 pounds without much hassle or major expense. I'm going to be taking the original 150ish mm cranks off of the bike to run some 155's soon if those would interest you. They are the Stylo cranks that I cut down and tapped for the original build.
    Sweet! Sent you a pm on here on the crank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast