Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Probably not technically the correct place to post this question...but how do I know if I need a long or short/medium cage rear der? I'm putting a 11-40 cassette on, haven't decided on the front ring yet (presumably that goes into this question). Going to use Shimano XT or XTR rear der.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Probably not technically the correct place to post this question...but how do I know if I need a long or short/medium cage rear der? I'm putting a 11-40 cassette on, haven't decided on the front ring yet (presumably that goes into this question). Going to use Shimano XT or XTR rear der.
    What speed? If its 10spd you'll need the long cage and a longer b-screw or Goatlink. If its 11spd, the GS or med cage can run up to 46t in 1x operation. I'm actually running a GS cage with a Goatlink in order to run a 50t cog, w/o issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    What speed? If its 10spd you'll need the long cage and a longer b-screw or Goatlink. If its 11spd, the GS or med cage can run up to 46t in 1x operation. I'm actually running a GS cage with a Goatlink in order to run a 50t cog, w/o issue.
    11sp. So is it only based on the largest cog on the cassette in terms of cage length? I've fitted many chains in the past by wrapping large-large, so it would seem the front chainring size would have some impact as well..no??

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    11sp. So is it only based on the largest cog on the cassette in terms of cage length? I've fitted many chains in the past by wrapping large-large, so it would seem the front chainring size would have some impact as well..no??
    I'm not sure what you are asking? The front ring will determine your chain length obviously but not the RD's range. Look up Shimano's spec on your RD of choice, it will list what it supports so you can see. Both long and med cage RD support 46t max in 1x, 42t in 2x, etc etc. The difference is in the number of front rings. The med only goes to 2x, and the long cage goes to 3x.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I'm not sure what you are asking? The front ring will determine your chain length obviously but not the RD's range. Look up Shimano's spec on your RD of choice, it will list what it supports so you can see. Both long and med cage RD support 46t max in 1x, 42t in 2x, etc etc. The difference is in the number of front rings. The med only goes to 2x, and the long cage goes to 3x.
    Got it - I think . This has always confused me even after reading the spec info. I always thought the longer the cage the more chain it could handle ...so if my front ring was say a 42, and my largest in the back was a 45 could the short (gs) still work - can it handle that long of a chain? Compared to say a 30t up front?

So when you say it can handle 45t in the cassette I get confused since the larger the front ring requires a longer chain and thus a shorter cage can only take up so much chain slack (when shifted to the higher/less teeth gear)

Thanks for your help-I hope this helps clear up where I get confused on the ratings of the RDs

(By the way...I donít plan to run a 42t chainring up front...just said that to illustrate how I get confused.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Got it - I think . This has always confused me even after reading the spec info. I always thought the longer the cage the more chain it could handle ...so if my front ring was say a 42, and my largest in the back was a 45 could the short (gs) still work - can it handle that long of a chain? Compared to say a 30t up front?

So when you say it can handle 45t in the cassette I get confused since the larger the front ring requires a longer chain and thus a shorter cage can only take up so much chain slack (when shifted to the higher/less teeth gear)

Thanks for your help-I hope this helps clear up where I get confused on the ratings of the RDs

(By the way...I donít plan to run a 42t chainring up front...just said that to illustrate how I get confused.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    never mind - I'm dumb.

If you have a 1x setup which I plan to do, then the der only needs to be able to handle the difference in smallest - largest of the rear cassette since the front doesn't change. so in my case a 11-40 is 29t which is well within the 45t capacity of nearly any der...so yeah short it'll be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The front ring doesn't really matter in 1x. Since you're using 1x you ONLY figure the difference between the cassette's largest cog and smallest cog. If you were going 2x/3x, then you'd add the cassette cog differences to the front ring difference to arrive at total capacity.

In other words with 1x ya ignore the front ring.

*Oh looks like you got it just as I hit post.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I thought at one point I saw this frame with a 142x12 rear axle. Any way to convert it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric0919 View Post
    I thought at one point I saw this frame with a 142x12 rear axle. Any way to convert it?
    Not that I know of. I know it wasn't an option at the time that I purchased it and the dropouts are molded in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It'd be a lot easier to get QR end caps for your hub than the alternative.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm still riding a 26" and my plan was to transfer parts to the Tideace and get me something new. Wheels are 142X12 and not convertible and i'm afraid the 2011 Revelation will have to long of a taper for the head tube. I haven't checked that yet though.

Not looking promising.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric0919 View Post
    I'm still riding a 26" and my plan was to transfer parts to the Tideace and get me something new. Wheels are 142X12 and not convertible and i'm afraid the 2011 Revelation will have to long of a taper for the head tube. I haven't checked that yet though.

Not looking promising.
    Why wouldn't the Revelation fit? The white fork installed in the first post is a Revelation RCT3 for 27.5" wheels with a tapered steerer and it fit fine. If I recall correctly, it was from 2012ish as it was pre-black stanchions. The frame currently has a tapered Sid with boost axle installed and that fits fine as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12