mtbr member

Is there a store brand 24 inch mtb thats decent?

Our 10 year old could use a new bike. Her 20 inch next isnt cutting it.

Shes going to use it to cruise around the block with friends, and an occasional fireroad ride with us, so it doesnt actually need to be a real trail worthy mountain bike.

She does want a MTB style bike. Are any of the store brand bikes ok? The more basic the better, no discs, no suspension, no frills.

Shes growing quick, so id like something lower end until shes tall enough to get her on a real 26er hardtail. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Have a look at Merida Matt's J24 several to choose from with or without suspension, my son's got the Champion version with suspension and 10 speed Deore gearing and loves it.

mtbr member
    I dont think they sell to the US market. I forget this is an international forum sometimes, thank you though! Those otherwise look good.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Our 10 year old could use a new bike. Her 20 inch next isnt cutting it.

Shes going to use it to cruise around the block with friends, and an occasional fireroad ride with us, so it doesnt actually need to be a real trail worthy mountain bike.

She does want a MTB style bike. Are any of the store brand bikes ok? The more basic the better, no discs, no suspension, no frills.

Shes growing quick, so id like something lower end until shes tall enough to get her on a real 26er hardtail. Any suggestions?
    Marin Bikes | Bayview Trail | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | us have nice geometry and good price

mtbr member
    Almost any bike in the 400-600 range is going to have strong resale value in three or four years. Decent kids bikes hold their value quite well, keep that in mind when buying.

A $500 bike that is worth $300 in four years is cheaper than a $300 bike that is worth $50 in that same time, mainly because you would through away the $50 bike and sell the $300 one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    the Bayview disc has an 8-speed cassette, which is a huge advantage over most bikes (including the other 2 Bayview trim levels) that have a 7 speed freehub.

the implication being that you could easily upgrade to 10 speed wide-range cassettes which makes 1x a lot more useful... 1x7 with a lame 14-28 freewheel is hard to live with, and changing a hub just so you can use a cassette is annoying. so that's why all these bikes have 3x7, so that they can ride beyond 15 mph on the street and still actually get around singletrack, mostly in the middle and granny rings.

the trek superfly 24 disc is another bike with 8-speed, but it gets spendy ($650ish).

mtbr member
    Specialized hotrock XC is about $650 too, with an XCR fork and 8-speed.

If you can't get a good used 24" bike, for the use you describe, I think I'd rather get a 24" wallyworld bike, ride it for a couple years, and then get an XS 26". tons of used stuff on craigslist for about $50. Just replace what's necessary. Think of it as a bonding experience. I would look for an aluminum frame though. I have a 20" steel frame bike that weighs about 35#.