mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Stan's Crest Wheel Build

I'm building up a Cannonade 24 for my son that I picked up on Craigslist, keeping only the frame and air fork. I decided to go with the Stan's Crest 24" rims, 28-hole Novatec D771SB and D772SB hubs, and Sapim Race spokes. This was my first ever wheel build. I used Roger Musson's book to learn how - Wheelbuilding book for building bicycle wheels. Came out pretty decent!

Hubs were $100 on eBay, spokes around $50, and the rims were $170 I believe.

Weight is 1480 grams for the wheel set, but I could probably lose 50 grams with lighter skewers although I'm not sure I'll bother since I think the bike will come in around 22 lbs with disc brakes.

If anyone would like the spoke lengths or other build info let me know.

Stan's Crest Wheel Build-img_4572.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stan's Crest Wheel Build-img_4572.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I intend to build the exact same wheels.

Where did you get the Stan's Crest from? None of my LBS are able to get them. I'll probably order from HiBike or Bike24.

Also, if you don't mind sharing the spoke lengths, that would be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here are the measurements and the spokes I used. the even ones in the box for "ideal length" are the ones I used I got them at bikehubstore.com, which only had even lengths for the Sapim Race spokes.

The rims I bought directly from stan's notubes.com

Stan's Crest Wheel Build-front.jpg

Stan's Crest Wheel Build-rear.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ghabe View Post

Where did you get the Stan's Crest from? None of my LBS are able to get them. I'll probably order from HiBike or Bike24.

mtbr member
    Nice! I have a set of Crest Wheels at the LBS being built this week. I went with Circus Monkey hubs that I got off of ebay for $145. I will post pic's and weight when I get them back this week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Note that 24" crest rims are available in 32 or 24 hole drilling. You could instead use these rims to produce a slightly lighter 24 hole wheel or a paired lacing 16 spoke wheel (from 32į rim). Either would still be plenty strong for a light kid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=ANT011ACMH8VM

Dr. Pepper drinker

You can buy the 24s from Stans direct as well. Most distributors aren't currently stocking them so LBS would likely have to order direct.

ZTR Crest 24" - 24 Hole Black

mtbr member
    Stan's Crest Wheel Build-img_1071.jpgStan's Crest Wheel Build-img_1072.jpgJust got my sons wheels done, crest 28 hole laced on Circus Monkey Hubs, screwed up and forgot to weight them before the tires and cassette were mounted, but the hubs were only 400 grams for the pair, no idea what the spokes weight...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Usually spokes are 2g nipples 1g

mtbr member
    May 2011
    14/15 butted 240mm spokes should weigh more like 5.3gr ea (not including 1g for brass nipple), so 148gr for 28 spokes on each wheel.

Total potential weight savings of 75gr per wheel if you build them with 16 spokes & nipples rather than 28.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    not really worth it for 75g per wheel

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    not really worth it for 75g per wheel
    Thank you for having guts to say this. I am reading all this and wondering: is this for real? Measuring the weight of ... spokes? I know this is a forum for bike fanatics but this - in my opinion - takes this into the entire new level. Loved the read nonetheless and the wheels look GREAT!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The OP was spending $85 ea per rim to save the same 75gr per wheel (as compared to a typical 400gr 24" OEM rim). If you are really not concerned about the weight loss, then just ride the OEM rims and/or use heavy hubs.
    I've built 12 spoke front wheels / 18 spoke rear wheels that survived years of use from multiple kids, it works fine. Performance wise, rotational weight savings counts for more than fixed component/frame weight.
    Kid specific Wheel Build for 40lb rider NEED HELP

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    weight loss is fine but not for the safety of kids. spending $85 for lighter rims is not the same as using half the amount of spokes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
    Thank you for having guts to say this. I am reading all this and wondering: is this for real?

I think reducing the number of spokes works for some if it is tame riding and/or your kid isn't super aggressive or is not jumping.

Where we ride we have a bike terrain park and I can tell you 12-16 spokes regardless of rim weight would be toast after the first run. We're truing 28 spoke wheels every few weeks in the summer months as it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey there-

In the process of building the same set of wheels. Do you remember where you found the left and right flange distances? Novatec lists it differently on their site. They list a hub FTF and an offset, but not a flange distance. I just want to double check the spoke lengths needed for my 24h build.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    Hey there-

In the process of building the same set of wheels. Do you remember where you found the left and right flange distances? Novatec lists it differently on their site. They list a hub FTF and an offset, but not a flange distance. I just want to double check the spoke lengths needed for my 24h build.

Thanks!
    771SB
    Spoke Circle ō: 58/45mm
    F.T.F.: 62mm
    L.C.F.: 22.05mm
    R.C.F.: 36.45mm

772SB-11
    Spoke Circle ō: 58/49mm
    F.T.F.: 55.2mm
    L.C.F.: 34.9mm
    R.C.F.: 18.8mm

Further reference...
    Hubs-D771SB

I would add that you should really have a caliper handy to double check the measurements. The Spokecalc page shows one how to measure the flange details.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've had good luck building with bdop's listed numbers, but agreed that if you have ability to measure yourself that is always the best option.

Novatec hubs are perfect here. Though I would mention that you can get cheaper options from BDOP clearance bin if you go with QR only. Assuming this isn't a thru-axle frame/fork. I think I did D612/D711 for the latest kids disc-brake wheelset I built.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH
    weight loss is fine but not for the safety of kids. spending $85 for lighter rims is not the same as using half the amount of spokes.
    It really depends on the use of the wheels.
    We have 3x on 32H .. on the Crest 2 it's CX-Ray (thanks for that link at the time to the 66% off) and we have crappy non-buted on the Crest 3's (superstar for UK readers)

He uses both sets of wheels for trails and DH ... so its a good compromise... he's got some 2.5" on the heavier wheels and wider rims but both get hammered on DH's and rock gardens and with kids weight are incredibly resistant...

I'd say that if used only for XC halting the spokes would be fine...
    The Cannondale Race can be got down to about 9kg... its got long chain stays but makes a decent XC machine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the measurements. How come those #s come out different than the FTF/2 +/- the offset # does?

Iím going to have my LBS build up a set of Stans Crest 24s 24h laced to the 791/792 combo. The rims are $30/ea right not and the hubs can be purchased for less than $90 for the pair. Iím thinking this will be a pretty solid/light build for less than $300 all in.

Iíve got a set of 28h Novatecs if anyone needs a set. Not used.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    771SB
    Spoke Circle ō: 58/45mm
    F.T.F.: 62mm
    L.C.F.: 22.05mm
    R.C.F.: 36.45mm

772SB-11
    Spoke Circle ō: 58/49mm
    F.T.F.: 55.2mm
    L.C.F.: 34.9mm
    R.C.F.: 18.8mm

Further reference...
    Hubs-D771SB

I would add that you should really have a caliper handy to double check the measurements. The Spokecalc page shows one how to measure the flange details.
    Are the 771s/772s the older version of the 791/792?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the measurements. How come those #s come out different than the FTF/2 +/- the offset # does?
    Different than what? The numbers posted above?

Are the 771s/772s the older version of the 791/792?
    The 791/792 is an improved version with better seals. The flange numbers are unchanged however.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Different than what? The numbers posted above?

The 791/792 is an improved version with better seals. The flange numbers are unchanged however.
    Yes. If you take the FTF/2 + offset and FTF/2 - offset, you get a different # than the one you posted above. Itís enough to change the spoke length by a few mms. Just curious.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yes. If you take the FTF/2 + offset and FTF/2 - offset, you get a different # than the one you posted above. Itís enough to change the spoke length by a few mms. Just curious.

Thanks!
    If you are unsure what to use, then you should measure them yourself. I'm not sure it even matters if you are having a shop build them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iíll measure them to make sure. Shop is building them but I am buying all the parts. They said it would be easier and quicker than them ordering themselves.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Iíll measure them to make sure. Shop is building them but I am buying all the parts. They said it would be easier and quicker than them ordering themselves.

Thanks.
    I don't like shops like that that leave things open to errors. I'd want to measure and double check myself before building, otherwise you're usually doomed to error. I've had shops screw up like that before.

*This one time a coach for my son's mtb team wanted to have a set built. He used Novatec's straight pull hubs. The shop used DT's calculator... however they did not know that DT's calc does not work with non-DT straight pull hubs because the app disables the options for spoke offset and spoke crossing. W/o those options spoke lengths get real screwed up. I ended up having to get involved and fixed the shops problem, ie. built them myself after returning everything and re-ordering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't like shops like that that leave things open to errors. I'd want to measure and double check myself before building, otherwise you're usually doomed to error. I've had shops screw up like that before.

*This one time a coach for my son's mtb team wanted to have a set built. He used Novatec's straight pull hubs. The shop used DT's calculator... however they did not know that DT's calc does not work with non-DT straight pull hubs because the app disables the options for spoke offset and spoke crossing. W/o those options spoke lengths get real screwed up. I ended up having to get involved and fixed the shops problem, ie. built them myself after returning everything and re-ordering.
    My shop will help me out- Iím just trying to learn for my own know how.

Good to know! Does DTs calculator work with non-DT classic pull hubs? Thatís the calculator Iíve been using.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My shop will help me out- Iím just trying to learn for my own know how.

Good to know! Does DTs calculator work with non-DT classic pull hubs? Thatís the calculator Iíve been using.

Thanks again!
    Yea, it works fine with normal hubs. The ability to save results is nice but, I prefer wheelpro's spokecalc. Maybe I'm still salty over DT's shite programming or maybe it was their intention. I dunno... lol.