mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Which SS crankset?

I want to ditch the front DR on my kids bikes - which crank sets are folks having good results with? What is the best bang for the buck all things considered (not cheapest, I want cost-effective).

Fred

mtbr member
    Have you checked out Sinz BMX cranksets? They are pretty cheap on ebay and the arms come in 5mm increments so you can swap them out as your kid grows.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The sinz cranks are tasty! You may need to change your BB however depending on which bike you have

mtbr member
    Problem I see with the Sinz is the 110BCD, so the smallest ring is 34T. I'd really like to use a bling ring (Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | MRP Bling Ring Chainrings) at 30T and a 9spd cassette, but two piece SRAM/Truvative cranks are pretty spendie and the shortest are 170MM. I don't mean to hijack, but any ideas how to go single speed and less than 32T?
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Problem I see with the Sinz is the 110BCD, so the smallest ring is 34T. I'd really like to use a bling ring (Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | MRP Bling Ring Chainrings) at 30T and a 9spd cassette, but two piece SRAM/Truvative cranks are pretty spendie and the shortest are 170MM. I don't mean to hijack, but any ideas how to go single speed and less than 32T?
    I use a cut down triple, and use the inner ring. I run a 28T with a 9 SP 12-36 cassette. Crank Arm Shortening . The Q-factor sucks though. Ideally you would use a 3 piece BMX crank. What I would do, if I were to do it again, is to get the Profile Mini cranks with an outboard BB and a Ti spindle and a spline drive sprocket. Profile Racing E-Store . It's heavier though and more expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I use a cut down triple, and use the inner ring. I run a 28T with a 9 SP 12-36 cassette. Crank Arm Shortening . The Q-factor sucks though. Ideally you would use a 3 piece BMX crank. What I would do, if I were to do it again, is to get the Profile Mini cranks with an outboard BB and a Ti spindle and a spline drive sprocket. Profile Racing E-Store . It's heavier though and more expensive.
    ^ Like ^ (Wish this forum had the like button...) Where did you find 9spd 12-36? I thought 10 spd only went to 36.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    ^ Like ^ (Wish this forum had the like button...) Where did you find 9spd 12-36? I thought 10 spd only went to 36.
    They only have that rep system here, not the up/down on posts (which I think is better, to be honest).

The 9 speed 12-36 is the Shimano HG61 for 29ers. Shimano HG61 12-36 29Er Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop