Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's awesome. Hope she likes them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Love it when my girls want to help out...

Cheapo
    Me too! I had to run inside to get something, when I came out she already had the crank puller threaded on the other side.

Cheapo
    Well she's definitely getting more confident. Now that she's taking her feet off to do tricks, I really need to get this handbrake installed. That Hotrock needs a re-gear too.

Need to look into what my options are. I wasn't going to spend much unless I knew she was going to be into it. She's massively into it. I have to build/buy her a micro-mini over the winter for racing. I need a street-bike too. I don't know if this Hotrock will nickle-and-dime me to death getting it to where I want it, and should revisit the Spawn etc., or if it'll be OK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good thread and very timely. I have a 4 year old and a pittboss and the cranks are way too long. I'm in the same boat trying to decide between the Sinz 115 and the Spawn 102. I habve stock gearing of 36/16 on the pitt boss. I'm leaning towards the Sinz cranks but can you post some pics of your little one riding the redline. Also what did you think of your 38/16 gearing? Thanks, Jeremy

Cheapo
    Yeah the Pit Boss comes with 140mm cranks. I was able to get a good deal on some new-in-box Sinz 115 cranks for $40 shipped.

Re-used the 38t chainring (previous owner swapped it), but I just ordered a 34t because the 38/16 (2.375 : 1) is a bit steep for bigger hills. She gets around the neighborhood, the smaller regular hills, and the BMX track on the 38/16 fine though.

I need to double-check what the HR16 gearing is, but I'm pretty sure it's 28/18 (1.5 : 1), but yesterday on a fairly big hill, the older one had to walk it the rest of the way up the hill on the Pit Boss, the younger one was able to ride up the hill the whole way on the HR16.

I will get a pic of my little one on the Redline tonight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks this is helpful. Do the 115 cranks allow for a better spin? The 140's have the knees to the chin

Cheapo
    Knees-to-chest indeed!

5, on 140s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes that my 4 year old's situation. I'm on the fence between getting the sinz 115 and 34 T or buying the Spawn Gremlin and selling the Redline to help the cause. This bike will be the main ride ie neighborhood jumps, indoor bike park. Let me know if the 115's made the pitboss a better all rounder for the 4 year old crowd.

Cheapo
    Did you do the calculations to see what size crank would be the best fit for your kid? You might find the optimal range is in the 90-100mm range -- that's not to say they can't turn a 115mm.

The smallest you can get in Sinz is 115mm (~$45-50) without going to Turn3 cranks at $126 for a shorter-than-115mm length. Well, you can buy cranks from Spawn too, $70 shipped. I'm not sure I'm loving the options for a 64mm BCD 4-bolt crank though.

Spawn Gremlin? Banshee?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My almost 4 year old is still on his 89mm cranks. (I deciding whether to put the 102s on his 16" bike or a 20") He also still has a 22 tooth chainring (16 rear) and he does spin out but not as much as you might think - he gets up some awesome speed down trails, and can get enough speed on the flat to do big jumps on ramps, kerbs etc.

Having said that I am planning a bigger chainring, just trying to decide between the 24 or 26...

Cheapo
    24/16 (1.5) is about the same as my 28/18 (1.55), and I'm looking to gear it a little higher because she's spinning it out, and like I said was able to get up that hill. The 2012 HR16 at least has 92mm cranks and they seem just right for her.

I should probably just leave the bike the hell alone and let her ride it for now. I'm a tinkerer, and can't help but want to change things. She gets frustrated that her sister's beating her everywhere though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This is helpful. Sounds like the 102 might be the better with 28T and 16T out back instead of the 115 36T 16T.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Spin-off for my 3½-year-old

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    Let her put her own cranks on, as much of the job as she could!

First time I changed crank arms: 33 years old. First time my daughter changed crank arms, 3 years old.

That's a beautiful thing that you guys get to share together. Enjoy. Sooner than ya want, she'll be a teenager with "plans" and no time for dad.
    I'm already there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Dave88LX

Just to let you know, on most bmx race bikes the chain ring goes on the inside of the crank arm spider. You might have trouble with the chain lining up between the sprocket and chain ring with the sprocket bolted on the outside of the crank spider as shown in the pictures above.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkitekt View Post
    That's a beautiful thing that you guys get to share together. Enjoy. Sooner than ya want, she'll be a teenager with "plans" and no time for dad.
    I'm already there.
    I hear you. I have a 5-year old, I can't believe she's already in kindergarten. Have a 7-month old as well. Doing the best I can to balance everything!

Cheapo
    I'm already there.
    Quote Originally Posted by silvascape View Post
    Dave88LX

Just to let you know, on most bmx race bikes the chain ring goes on the inside of the crank arm spider. You might have trouble with the chain lining up between the sprocket and chain ring with the sprocket bolted on the outside of the crank spider as shown in the pictures above.
    Wow would you look at that. I'm glad you said something. I just put it back on the same way when I took the 140s off. Previous owner had put Sinz 140 cranks and a 38t chainring on. Wonder why they did that?

Does something look funky with my BB too? Not sure why both sides don't match.

You can see the chain misalignment now. I'll get that swapped over.

Cheapo
    I'm already there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoodpdx View Post
    This is helpful. Sounds like the 102 might be the better with 28T and 16T out back instead of the 115 36T 16T.
    Just got home and they're already in bed, I'll be able to get something tomorrow though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep, that looks weird. It looks like someone has replaced the bottom bracket with one which is a bit wider than the frame requires - I am pretty sure that style of BB feeds in from one side and tightens on the other. It might be loose though, you could try tightening it, you need a special spanner and tighten it from the non chain ring side. The chain line certainly looks out in the photos so I would swap the chain ring to the other side of the spider, it will run much smoother and you will get way less chain, sprocket and chain ring wear if everything is lined up properly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123