Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Page ownage!

I actually have the 2012 proline mini. Great bike.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

Cheapo
    He has someone coming at 6,I'm second in line... So unless they are a flake, it's sold I bet.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    bummer.

here's hopin, tho.

Cheapo
    Didn't hear back, so I'm sure it was bought.

I stopped into the LBS today with my little one to check out the Hotrock 12. I went back and forth in my head for a good bit about it while she tooled around on it in the store. In the end, I think the "keep it small" guys are on to something. While she can 'fit' on a 16", I think she'll have worlds more control on the 12". When she's ready for something bigger, we can move up either to her sister's 16" Hotrock, or something else depending which way she goes. If she really gets into it, I'll give Spawn a call.

I decided to go with the blue one since I have the up-and-coming baby brother too. I talked her into it by tossing in some purple pedals and grips into the deal. LBS was nice enough to throw an order in for the purple grips at no cost. I'll find some purple pedals somewhere. Maybe a couple other small things like valve stem caps, butterfly stickers, and a chain or something.

She is doing great on it already, rode to the end of the street with my hand on her back. It's going to be funny when she's riding on her own before her 5-year-old sister.

Oh, saw a Hotwalk in there too, so much better than the Strider. Still need something with a brake though for my hill.

Thanks for all the advice! If I didn't have a little brother to pass it on to, I would have gone a different route, but this will be a good bike for the interim.

Cheapo
    Ah so. Seat post clamp. Seat post is 1" diameter. Specs says the clamp is 29mm. I see a lot for 1-1/8" (28.6mm). Is this basically the same or is there actually a difference in the seat post clamp?

Shadow Conspiracy Alfred Lite Seat Clamp at Danscomp

Math is wrong on this one (diameter). It's WAY too heavy anyways... it's .7 ounces heavier!!! Animal V2 Seat Clamp at Danscomp

Rather use one of the cheaper ones.
    Straitline Seat Clamp | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Great bike. She will outgrow the coaster brake at some point. Then you should think about a more aggressive gear ratio. The less aggressive one is better to start, but once they can balance well, the more difficult to accelerate but higher top speed will be better for her. You will be back on posting about how you are upgrading it. :-)

My next bit of advice would be to drop that seat as low as it will go, never raise it, and tell her to always stand up to ride. She will be a better rider for it. More control, better balance, and better foundation for technical riding.

My boy was riding on his 3rd birthday the day he got his first pedal bike. His sister was jealous that he could ride, and she taught herself on a Hotrock 16 with the cranks removed as a balance bike about 3 weeks later at age 5. Your older will get a lot of motivation from her younger sister.

Cheapo
    I'll have to give it a try standing up to pedal. As an adult it's easy to stand up and pedal. How hard is it for a kid who is just learning? The thing that BLOWS about a coaster brake and learning to pedal is when they mess up, they're skidding and pretty much falling down.

If it didn't cost $100 to add v-brakes, I would. ($70 shipped for brackets, ~$17 brake kit, $10 for bosses).

Funny how ilmfat was talking about how much money the 'bling' on his bike cost. I figured I'd grab a couple purple things to make it less "boy" for her, maybe a couple small things.

Seat post clamp - $9-20
    Axle nuts - $12/pair ($24)

Ahhh yeah, so maybe I'll re-think that. I can see how quickly it would have added up on his bikes.

I think you're right -- older one will get some motivation for sure. So when she gets decent on this bike, is she allowed to track it? Or will I need to work her into something bigger?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Front gets axle nuts, rear gets chain tensioners.

Lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    I stopped into the LBS today with my little one to check out the Hotrock 12. I went back and forth in my head for a good bit about it while she tooled around on it in the store. In the end, I think the "keep it small" guys are on to something. While she can 'fit' on a 16", I think she'll have worlds more control on the 12".
    The Spawn 14" bike actually has a lower seat than most 12" bikes (not 100% sure on the hotrock), bigger wheels, and is definitely more stable than a lot of 12" bikes... Plus no coaster.

Just saying.

Cheapo
    Yeah I thought hard about it. Not sure how long the wait would be for one, and I can reuse this. I'm sure a Banshee is in my future.

Cheapo
    Oh yeah, can anyone confirm that 28.6mm is for all intents and purposes, the same as 29mm?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Personally, I'd go red. Everyone loves superman.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    Front gets axle nuts, rear gets chain tensioners.

Lol.
    Even worse!!!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Purple carries a premium.

Just wait til you start on headsets.

Lol.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Website says 28.6 clamp, which sounds right.

No schmancy pedals for her, either.

Odyssey Flames Pad Set at Danscomp

cheaper than bling

FLITE 3 Piece Nylon Old School BMX Padset - Checkerboard - PURPLE WHITE

Or just get some stickers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    So when she gets decent on this bike, is she allowed to track it? Or will I need to work her into something bigger?
    You'll probably be able to track it with a couple 'mods' - ditch the reflectors and chainguide I believe; track can let you know specifics. That thing's fine to get her feet wet. I got a feeling anybody nicknamed "Honey Badger" at 3 might take to the racing thing tho...future champ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKoVAPPi_-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5C1Kat_wHI
    (pardon the soundtrack, but good vid besides)
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Finally started a youtube channel.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKa3ZX5IvD4

Not bad for being off training wheels for less than a year (5 months of which was too cold to ride).

And being on a bike that is too big.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    Finally started a youtube channel.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKa3ZX5IvD4

Not bad for being off training wheels for less than a year (5 months of which was too cold to ride).

And being on a bike that is too big.
    Seems to be enjoying herself! You on the other hand...sound...a bit winded.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You'll probably be able to track it with a couple 'mods' - ditch the reflectors and chainguide I believe; track can let you know specifics. That thing's fine to get her feet wet. I got a feeling anybody nicknamed "Honey Badger" at 3 might take to the racing thing tho...future champ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKoVAPPi_-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5C1Kat_wHI
    (pardon the soundtrack, but good vid besides)
    Man, those girls are no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcPROp8ihk

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Cut me some slack, it was my first video.

Next time ill edit out the overweight, middle aged man sound.

Cheapo
    Just busting on you, I would sound the same way.

FYI 28.6 mm worked great. For some reason, and I swear, it said 29mm before. It does say 28.6 mm now. Just waiting on the pedals to come in.

Sweet-ass pad set! I wonder of those bear-claw pedals are a bit much for right now? jk

Cheapo

Cheapo
    Oh and I'll tell you one thing I appreciate about this so far -- I get much more descriptive information than "SICKKKKKK" and "SMOOOOOTH" when I'm looking up parts.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    But, but,

But those axle nuts ARE rather sick and smooth.

Being a stay at home dad with few friends and slight inclination to ride helps my Utility quotient.

Kid hit the (real) trail again today and loved it. Only one stack, and it was my fault. Didnt kill her joy tho, thank god.

And for the record, starting out semi one handed, uphill on a 33x12 29er would tax anyone's fitness.

At least that's what I tell myself.

Cheapo
    I see what you did there....

So it says aluminum/decoration. If that's the case, what are the other ones that are $12/pair?

Nah I have no room to talk. I was winded after 2 laps around the neighborhood with the kids. Only reason I could keep up is because they are all too big for their bikes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast