Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Also aluminum.

On the kid's bikes, im pretty sure that you can run em as structural, since the stresses arent anywhere near as high.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

Cheapo
    So the purple pedals came in. Pretty slim selection on purple pedals for a 1/2" thread. Wasn't sure how they would size up -- think they might be a little big. If so I'll just throw them on the 16" Hotrock instead.

I don't quite understand the shape of them or the little hook on one edge. Options are open for a better 1/2" thread purple pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Braaaap!!!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Looks pretty good, yo.

Cheapo
    It's nowhere near "ilmfat" specifications, but it'll work for a 3½-year-old!

Her number plate came in today too for her Strider. Weeee!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Just remember, putting their bikes at "my specs" blew not just my bike budget, but my ENTIRE fun budget for the year.

Our girls are "collar buddies".

Cheapo
    Yeah I recall you saying that. I need to come up with a 'fun budget' before I get myself in trouble.

I'm not familiar with 'collar buddies'?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Same seat collar.

Long story, summed up by, "I am easily imprinted with other people's mannerisms".

I do the finances, so its easy, except when I "pre-spend" the fun money and play catch up the rest of the year.

But the wheels mikesee built for my jabberwocky ARE super dope.

Cheapo
    Ah! Gotcha now!

Cheapo
    Pedaling by herself today!!!!!!!!! Even got the hang of pushing herself along with her feet to get rolling and then start pedaling. 3½ years old...beat her 5-year-old sister out.

I'll get some pic/vid tomorrow. I'm pumped.

One small other touch, added in the purple anodized axle nuts from PorkChopBMX for $6/4 since I was getting a couple other things there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sweet little bike... I will be going thru this when my 1 year old gets a little bigger. Already have a Strider, but am watching for a better balance bike with a handbrake to come along... Strider has been thru about 5 kids now, and may be worn out by the time she's ready. Oh well. It was a $15 Goodwill score from before she was even born. LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    Pedaling by herself today!!!!!!!!!
    Wooohooo!!!

Only 3 1/2 more years til she can go to Woodward! Start saving up!

Camp Woodward - Home

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Wooohooo!!!

Only 3 1/2 more years til she can go to Woodward! Start saving up!

Camp Woodward - Home

$1200/week! What the faaaack!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Coolest place in the world though.

The do weekends in the off-season (Sept - May) for a pretty decent rate.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Cheapo
    It looks badass!!! At least I have a little time to save up for it.

This is awesome. They've been running around on a Strider and a pedal-less bike for around a month or so, and now they're on their own. Couple hours yesterday helping them start off, and today they're doing it themselves. So so excited and pumped for them.

Just got to get the little one to keep her head up...haha. Looking for her pedals.

Cheapo
    FYI stuff: Kid next door has a Trek Jet 12, it weighs 20 lbs. Hotrock 12 weighs 15 lbs.

Cheapo
    Here's the video I couldn't get to post the other day. Nothing special, but special to me.

Huge thanks again to everyone for all the help and guidance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They're doing really well. And it is special

Cheapo
    Update:
    She's been killing it all summer on her Hotrock 12, but she's starting to look a little cramped Deebo style on it lately. A Redline Pitboss (16") popped up on the Facebook BMX trading forum locally for $150 and so I picked that up. Turns out that he actually races too at the track I bring my daughter to.

I was worried at first about the transition from coaster to hand brakes, but she picked up the change right away, and was enjoying being able to freewheel backwards. Her sister (5 y/o) is loving the bike too.

I had to cut the seat post bottom (not original) to get it low enough. Turned in the setscrew for the brake handle to bring that in closer. The only "issue" I have is the previous owner installed longer crank arms on and changed the sprocket for his son. I need to get a set of shorter cranks for it (don't believe he has the originals but I'll ask), and get a smaller sprocket on the front probably so that she can have a bit more power.

She's been racing Strider class, but yesterday she took her 12" bike all the way around the track. Not enough power to get up some of the bigger hills unfortunately. I think getting her on this 16" will be a step in the right direction for getting on the track, as she wants to start pedaling the track.

So proud of this kid, just amazed. She ate it hard yesterday riding on the street when her front tire lost grip in a pile of gravel in the street. Community is still under development, so the township isn't required to streetsweep. It's awful. I'm going to look into what options I may have via complaint because kids are going down 2-3 times/week.

I need to get a better picture, it was getting dark last night. You can see how long the crank arms are. I'm going to pull them off soon so I can see what kind/style I need to get her.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Awesome! Is it a square taper bb? If so Spawn Cycles cranks are great.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem View Post
    Awesome! Is it a square taper bb? If so Spawn Cycles cranks are great.
    I will check when I get home. I see they have 89mm and 102 mm.

Earlier in this thread (May) she was 39" w/ 15½" inseam. Assuming she's 40" w/ 16" now, I'm getting two different answers on crank length.

40" = 1016mm...10% = 101.6mm + 5mm = 107mm

Another chart says with a 16" inseam, use a 120mm crank.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My son is a very similar age, I think - he will be 4 in November. He is 98cm (38.6"). We are using the 89mm at the moment but will be upgrading to the 102mm soon.

Cheapo
    OK so I looked today, and it is square. There is only one size square taper correct?

My issue is this: Currently have a 38/16 on here w/ 140 mm Sinz crank arms. Cranks are way too long. Shortest I can get them in is 115 mm, this will let me reuse my 5-hole 38t chainring with the 16t rear.....38 gear inches.

If I go with the 102mm Spawn, I'm not seeing very many 4-bolt chainrings, and the ones I do find are lower teeth count, so I'd really need to change out the rear too which I don't really want to go into.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The ability to run a small chainring was why I liked the Spawn ones - running 22t at the moment!

I will put a bigger one on when I swap the cranks for longer ones.

Cheapo
    So times have changed since I was younger and everyone was running 44/16. What's the advantage of the smaller gearsets? I'm going to assume weight and ground clearance. Is there anything else that I'm missing?

I'm not looking to have to buy a rear too so that's why I'd prefer to stick with the 16t rear, and the larger front.

Cheapo
    Are these the 64mm BCD 4-arm chainrings that will work on the Spawn crank arms? Or is there a specific style that is needed?

Chainrings | Chain Reaction Cycles

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    The pitboss has a higher BB, so will be more forgiving w longer cranks than a mtb frame.

Get the 115s, yo.

Cheapo
    I think I'm going to do the 115s, and if it's just too awful, I'll look at doing 102s and converting everything. I've got a 6-month old son too, so none will be gone to waste.

Currently a 38/16 setup (2.38). Stock is 36/16 (2.25). The Banshee is a 28/14 (2.00).

Need to decide which chainring (gear ratio) to put on there for BMX track and street. I'm thinking 32t (2:1) and adjust up or down from there as necessary.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    If she can do the 140s geared like that, she'll prolly be able to turn the 115s.

Cheapo
    Yeah she can turn them but it's really bad.

Brooke (3, almost 4), Bella (5½)

Brooke's been riding the Hotrock 12 at home all summer, but she's been racing Strider class. She's been asking to step it up to the pedal bike on the track.

I'll be getting the Redline (16") set up for her to take around the track, the 12" is just too little. We bought it knowing she'd grow out of it quick but with the intention that my son would get it next so we didn't mind.

Brooke on the Hotrock 16 (Normally Bella's on this bike). Short crank arms, good leg position. She's practicing standing up a lot.

Bella on the Redline. You can see the 140mm cranks are way too much.

For comparison, here's Brooke on the Redline. Look how stuffed up her leg is, and that's not even at the top.

[/QUOTE]

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Well if nothing else, you've inspired me to take the girls for a bike ride.

With a 5 bolt you can easily go as low 33/20.

32/20 if'n ya wanted to spend the bucks.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    Well if nothing else, you've inspired me to take the girls for a bike ride.

With a 5 bolt you can easily go as low 33/20.

32/20 if'n ya wanted to spend the bucks.
    Heck yeah, get them pretty bikes out there!

Confused on the /20, I have a 16t rear. Currently 38/16 (2.375).

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    u can go as "low" as 20 with a freewheel.

I think white ind. Might even do a 22t freewheel. But $$$$$.

Tho the rear may be a micro cassette. If so, the world is your oyster, my friend.

A 32t for the 110bcd 5 bolt will be pricey. Not many companies do one.

Danscomp has decent 5 bolt rings for $20/each.

I'd start with a 34t and a 36t.

If those are still too tall, get an 18t or 20t freewheel.

36/18 gets you 2:1.

34/16 would be a good minimum layout "assessment" setup.

Cheapo
    Yeah I'm not looking for anything expensive of crazy (22t rear or 32t front).

This has a flip-flop hub but I don't know EXACTLY what that means for me since I hear there are a couple different types.

So looking at my 110bcd 5-hole options, I'm looking at 34t+. I hadn't looked up my options previous to posting, so 2:1 is definitely out -- I don't want to pay to change out the rear unless I absolutely have to. Good info, thanks! Rennen Pentacle has a 33t but it's $43.

Oh, speaking of short crank arms, I found these too, although pricey.
    Turn3 racing: https://www.facebook.com/turn3racing
    100/110/120 are $126 shipped
    125/130/135 are $140 shipped

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    bling tastic.

looks like they might take the answer spiders, too.

sorry it's pretty jumbled, but i "stream of conciousness" sometimes:

i hear ya on the freewheel size/pitch. i looked into it, and the flip flop hub sizes are pretty much standard now.

SOME (rare/old ones) are oddball, but the redline will be 13t-15t on one side, 16t and larger on the other.

Excess Pro Series Freewheel at Dan's Comp

my 16t and 18t are:

GT Ratchet Freewheel at Dan's Comp

for the superior engagement.

i hear ACS pros are decent, also.

the spawn crank has a rather narrow band of options.

28/13 is about the tallest gear you can go with the spawn crank. 30/13 if you want to really stretch it.

the sinz crank will give you alot more options.

tough call, but if my kid was lookin to bmx race, i'd go the sinz route. it may be a little more cash outlay, but with the 5 bolt, you can duplicate the gain ration of the spawn crank. the opposite doesn't hold true.

figure a 30/13 is the best you could get with the spawn, and that's AT LEAST $100. even 28/13 is still gonna be $75-80.

getting the sinz crank, 2 chainrings (34t and 36t) and a 14t freewheel gives you a pretty huge range.

and 5 bolt kids cranks will always be cheaper (or same price, in spawns case) than 4 bolt, so you'll prolly use the various rings and freewheels (tho the spendier bmx wheels us micro cassettes).

decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just thought I would add my 2 cents here.
    This is my first post in the forum - I am a Mum with a just turned 5 year old son who wanted to "ride on the bumpy track" (bmx track - neither I nor his Dad had ever been to one) before he turned 3. He started racing bmx at 3 and 4 months and also races road, cyclocross and we do a fair bit of bush riding as well.

People seem amazed that a 3 year old would want to and can ride well enough to race bmx. From our experience you just need the right equipment.

Cranks - 3 year olds on average need 115 mm cranks. JR Bikes have the sinz ones for $49.99 (minus 15% if you search for the coupon code). They are strong, robust and a bit heavier than other more expensive options. We have found that they also have a excellent resale value (in Australia anyway - they are very hard to get). They are excellent value for money and will bolt straight onto any square taper bottom bracket. 4 year olds - generally 120mm cranks and at 5 my son is nearly ready for 125s but is tall for his age.

Gearing - crucial for them to be comfortable. In BMX its always talked about in roll out and as a general rule or thumb for under 7s:
    If a beginner - roll out of 4* with * being their age. so a 3 year old could start out with a roll out of 43 inches: 4 year old 44 inches etc
    If experienced add an inch, if sitting down minus an inch or two.
    If riding a 16" wheel bike with 1.75" tyres 38:14 gives 43.4 inches, 34:12 gives 45.33 inches 36:13 gives 44.3 inches. Play around with combinations. bmxultra have a great grea calculator. If in doubt go smaller rollout - always better to spin.

Bike wise any decent bike will let your kids start riding around the track. For his 3rd birthday we got our son a Byk 350
    The E-350 - The bike every kid would love to learn on.
    Great little bike. 18 inch wheels for greater stability, really low seat and standover height, lighter than most and robust. He was able to ride it from day 1. It replaced the cheap 12 inch he had been riding for a couple of months and his balance bike.

Once he started racing bmx he got a Redline Micro mini - fantastic and interestingly the geometry is very similar to the Byk. He now rides a Micro bmx with 20" wheels for BMX and a Trek Superfly 20 everywhere else (shortened head stem and cranks).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Here are a couple of photos - on his Byk a couple of days after turning 3 and on his Redline micro mini at about 3 and 3 months
    Spin-off for my 3½-year-old-zac-first-ride-byk-ed.jpgSpin-off for my 3½-year-old-zac-bmx-track-4.jpg

Cheapo
    So on one of the Facebook BMX parts groups, I found a guy who is going to sell me some new-in-box Sinz 115mm cranks for $40 shipped. I'll pick up a couple chainrings either online or check the parts trailer at the track for some different gearing.

Thanks for the tech info! I'll play with the numbers.

Over the winter I'll be searching/piecing a micro-mini for her in the spring.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    but the redline will be 13t-15t on one side, 16t and larger on the other.

getting the sinz crank, 2 chainrings (34t and 36t) and a 14t freewheel gives you a pretty huge range.
    OK looking a bit more into this. Currently with the 16t, the lowest I can pretty much go is 34/16 = 2.125, and on up with a larger chainring.

With a 14t freewheel, 34/14 = 2.42 at the smallest. Should I be looking at a 17t for the other side? That would let me go 34/17 = 2.00 and on up for the "easier" pedaling, would still have the 16t on the other side.

I don't know. Need to digest the next post below yours, but I must leave for now!

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by silvascape View Post
    Gearing - crucial for them to be comfortable. In BMX its always talked about in roll out and as a general rule or thumb for under 7s:
    If a beginner - roll out of 4* with * being their age. so a 3 year old could start out with a roll out of 43 inches: 4 year old 44 inches etc
    If experienced add an inch, if sitting down minus an inch or two.
    If riding a 16" wheel bike with 1.75" tyres 38:14 gives 43.4 inches, 34:12 gives 45.33 inches 36:13 gives 44.3 inches. Play around with combinations. bmxultra have a great grea calculator. If in doubt go smaller rollout - always better to spin.
    onths and his balance bike.
    Are we talking about Gear Inches or Rollout?

38/14 w/ 16" tires would be 43.4 gear inches, but 136" rollout (Gear Inches x Pi).

Going off the 4X Gear Inches for age, I would need 44" for my 4-year old. With my current 16t rear, I would need a 44t front to make that happen. I don't know, it may be a bit much. That'd be what the 'big kids' run.

But I don't know, maybe it's not too much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi Dave. Have a look and play with the bmx ultra gear charts and don't forget the gears I suggested are for track riding. Our 5 year old now runs 34/15 on his 20" wheels with PowerBlock tyres and he can spin over just about anything. Don't forget that tyres size makes a big difference and that they are standing not sitting so they might be more comfortable having a bit of resistance to push against. You might want to start out in the 38 - 40 range then move up as they improve and start to stand up but don't go too low or they wont be able to spin their legs fast enough to get enough momentum to get up the bigger jumps. For 16" wheels 38/16 = 38, 39/16 = 39 You said the pitboss had 38/16 on it. I'd put the 115 cranks on and give it a try.

Cheapo
    OK I'll go and play with the calcs. I currently have a 38/16 x 16 so maybe I will just leave that on there for now and see how she does with that...good call.

I just bought the Sinz 115s @ $40 so they should be here next week.

Same guy has a set of Sinz 125s and Redline Microline 130s he'll do for $35/ea (pair) shipped. Tempting to just have on hand as they grow.

WWMTBRD?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For that price I would be tempted to buy them and store them away for a while. Reasonably priced small cranks will become like hens teeth if sinz don't rise from the dead. The only options in Australia at the moment are turn 3 at $170+ or the dwindling supply from JR Bikes. Hopefully Sinz is revived and continues to make reasonably priced decent quality gear.

Cheapo
    I see some people saying they don't want Sinz cranks -- why is that?

Does Sinz even have a homepage? I can't seem to find one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My understanding is that sinz was owned by intense which has gone into receivership. Noone seems to know if they are going to be bought and continue operation or not. Some people prefer other brands of cranks which look better and in some cases are lighter than the sinz cranks. I think the sinz cranks are good value for money and would rather buy 3 or 4 pairs of them in different sizes and have cranks that fit rather than buying the better looking option and taking a 'grow into them' option.

The weight issue is another thing. Its personal preference. I think weight is important but fit is more so. My son wears full bmx clothes, armour, elbow guards, full face helmet etc when riding his bmx bike. To me a hundred grams here or there is a cost based analysis. His bike is light - under 6 kgs but I can't justify spending a thousand dollars or so to get it to the magic 5 kegs which some people aim for.

The turn 3 cranks are awesome looking, come in a nice range of colours and are a hundred grams or so lighter than the sinz option. While I would love a set (4sets in different sizes really) I am afraid that the $ vrs benefit equation just doesn't get there for me. Maybe when he gets a bit older and they last more than 12months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just stuck a set of 125mm sins cranks on the scales to make sure my memory of weights wasn't too far out.
    Sinz125mm cranks = 464 grams ($42 from jr bikes - about $55 delivered to aus)
    Turn 3 cranks 125mm cranks = 359.1 grams listed on their Facebook site ($140 shipped within the US, $164 to aus)
    Last edited by silvascape; 09-20-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Cheapo
    Well that stinks to hear about Intense/Sinz. Yeah I am not ready to drop the dollars on those Turn3 cranks, but at the same time, it doesn't bother me TOO badly because I'll have 1-2 more riders coming up through them. If I get them for my oldest, still have the middle and youngest to use them.

Thanks for weighing those BTW! Good to know.

I decided not to get those other pairs of cranks for now and just run with these 115s.

Cheapo
    Brooke's still racing Strider class, but practicing "big bike" on the track. I'm going to pick her up a Micro Mini over the winter to have ready for her come spring to actually race on.

Having a ball.

Brooke with her 'big bike gear' getting ready to go down the start ramp.

...aaaaaand she's off.

Goober. Always with the priorities (see: Goldfish).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well done Brooke! Love seeing your updates

Cheapo
    Let her put her own cranks on, as much of the job as she could!

First time I changed crank arms: 33 years old. First time my daughter changed crank arms, 3 years old.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast