mtbr member
    May 2012

Specialized XS Hardrock versus Hotrock A1?

I called a LBS about a 24" A1 Hardrock and they said that the XS Hardrock with 24 inch wheels might be a better bike for the long haul.

Looks like the price is about the same minus getting bigger tires initually.

What would be the downsides of the XS Hardrock with 24 inch wheels?

Thanks
    Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    I called a LBS about a 24" A1 Hardrock and they said that the XS Hardrock with 24 inch wheels might be a better bike for the long haul.

Looks like the price is about the same minus getting bigger tires initually.

What would be the downsides of the XS Hardrock with 24 inch wheels?

Thanks
    Bill
    Fit is key. Proper fit will provide confidence in their riding ability rather than discourage them. If your kid is going to just ride around the neighborhood, you can buy for a few years out. If you want them to enjoy the trail with you, buy for fit. That said, I would try him/her on both and see which one fits the best. If the larger one works well enough to meet your criteria, but the larger.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks! My daughter likes jumping off curbs. She thinks she us doing bunny hops. I need to take her and her 20" Huffy bike to some flat easy trails and she how she likes it. I have had her sit on some 24 mtn bikes and her arms are about 2" too short, same with her legs. Thanks Bill

Wēk Ss
    keep her on the 20".

A XS 26" bike with 24" wheels will be a bit longer in both ETT and wheelbase, with longer chainstays. It's harder to maneuver around and will result in a stretched out riding position. If your daughter doesn't fit a 24", I wouldn't bother with a XS 26".

That said, some 24" bikes are bigger than others. Shop around.

I looked at a small 26", I went with a 24" instead. The fit was better, particularly the ETT (horizontal).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    keep her on the 20".
    Yes, I figured to keep her on the 20 for another 6 months or so. She is about 3 inches too short on a 13 inch framed 24inch wheels. I could get her one of the small sized Specialized A1s, I think the 11 inch framed 24 inch wheeled one.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    A XS 26" bike with 24" wheels will be a bit longer in both ETT and wheelbase, with longer chainstays. It's harder to maneuver around and will result in a stretched out riding position.
    I forgot about that and I agree. Thanks Bill