Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

specialized HOTROCK XTR finally!

just noticed this new bike on specialized website. fully decked out 24" hot rock with SID fork.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wow! Now that's crazy. That will give the Scott RC Jr a run for the money. I wonder what the thing costs? It must be at least 2K.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Published specs for the XTR hotrock are 73° STA and 70° HTA, exact same as for the slightly lower xc-pro model w/ suntour 24" fork. When I checked the angles on a good picture of the XTR/SID bike, they came out more like 70° & 67°. I highly suspect that they simply equipped an existing 24"frame with a 26" SID fork, jacking up all the geometry in the process instead of sourcing an actual 24" fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think they did the same thing to the Hotrock 20 Pro, giving it a 24" fork. Made me lose interest in the model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Once again, specialized has a chance to do something totally cool but unfortunately shows little thought and poor execution.

Hopefully this isn't some adverse marketing ploy to show that there is no place for a higher end kids market by not selling this overdone ill fitting bike.

Essentially they grabbed the Hotrock frame, threw a 26" SID and an XTR grouppo on it. They will charge a ton of money for it and sit confused wondering why no one buys it.

Try sizing the bars and grips to the right size. Give it a decent crank length. Put a true 24" fork on the bike, i.e. RST F1rst Air. And when is the last time you saw Schrader valves on what is sure to be a +$4k bike?

I like the idea of the XTR gruppo but an XTR, XT, SLX mix would have been a much better decision. Save some money and bring the price point to $2k. You would have a winner there.
    Last edited by stom_m3; 01-30-2014 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Umm you must have missed this part about Specialized Specialized Editions
    "Every Specialized is a limited edition. Some are much more so than others. Each bike in this collection is the result of a very specific vision of our R&D team, featuring custom graphics and hand-picked specifications, produced once and in extremely limited quantities. When they are gone, they're really gone."

The thing will cost a fortune and not be worth what is costs. The XC Pro 24 is already $1600 for a kids bike. You can buy lower end models, swap out just about everything, end up with a better, cheaper bike,
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Once again, specialized has a chance to do something totally cool but unfortunately shows little thought and poor execution.
    Agreed, still specing long 165mm cranks on a kids bike among other things
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree it's poorly executed but a decent attempt. They took the standard frame, made it raw with a clear coat, threw some xtr at it and threw a 26" SID 80mm fork on it. It's maybe 750 grams lighter than the $1600 24 XC Pro would be my bet and $3500 if not more.

I think the $1600 24 XC Pro is a good deal if the wheels are sub-1350 grams and had a better fork. They are almost there. Figuring all the time put into it, a $1600 23 pound bike with decent parts looks pretty good.

If you buy the $600 model, swap everything out with better parts you probably are back up to $1500 so might as well buy cheap used Craigslist bike. Sure you can do it cheaper/lighter if you have random parts around, but you still bought those parts at some point, have hours upon hours invested reading forums and are building sketchy 16 spoke wheels to save 150 grams.

Someone please post up a pic of their 24" XC Pro. What does it weigh? What do the wheels weight? I've yet to see one posted here and they have been available since last July.

Cheap. Strong. Light. Pick two. What are you willing to pay for a good 24" wheel bike and how much would it ideally weigh? It seems like everyone wants a good 24" bike that weights 23 pounds and not pay over $500 for one. All the research and time I can tell you it will not happen. The Scott Scale Jr. RC at $1050 seems the best bet so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    I agree it's poorly executed but a decent attempt. They took the standard frame, made it raw with a clear coat, threw some xtr at it and threw a 26" SID 80mm fork on it. It's maybe 750 grams lighter than the $1600 24 XC Pro would be my bet and $3500 if not more.

I think the $1600 24 XC Pro is a good deal if the wheels are sub-1350 grams and had a better fork. They are almost there. Figuring all the time put into it, a $1600 23 pound bike with decent parts looks pretty good.

If you buy the $600 model, swap everything out with better parts you probably are back up to $1500 so might as well buy cheap used Craigslist bike. Sure you can do it cheaper/lighter if you have random parts around, but you still bought those parts at some point, have hours upon hours invested reading forums and are building sketchy 16 spoke wheels to save 150 grams.

Someone please post up a pic of their 24" XC Pro. What does it weigh? What do the wheels weight? I've yet to see one posted here and they have been available since last July.

Cheap. Strong. Light. Pick two. What are you willing to pay for a good 24" wheel bike and how much would it ideally weigh? It seems like everyone wants a good 24" bike that weights 23 pounds and not pay over $500 for one. All the research and time I can tell you it will not happen. The Scott Scale Jr. RC at $1050 seems the best bet so far.

I bought a Marin with discs for the frame to be honest. I replaced most of the bike but I kept all the stock parts. The new parts will go over to a 26er frame when he's ready. So when it's time to sell the 24 inch bike, I can put it back to stock and recoup some money. The wheels, cranks and air fork that wont move over, I'll sell on here, plenty of parents looking for 24inch wheels, air fork and shorten cranks.

I ended up under the $1600 and I think I'll recoup much more than someone trying to resell a $1600 kids bike. I also think I ended up with a better bike.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I bought a Marin with discs for the frame to be honest. I replaced most of the bike but I kept all the stock parts. The new parts will go over to a 26er frame when he's ready. So when it's time to sell the 24 inch bike, I can put it back to stock and recoup some money. The wheels, cranks and air fork that wont move over, I'll sell on here, plenty of parents looking for 24inch wheels, air fork and shorten cranks.

I ended up under the $1600 and I think I'll recoup much more than someone trying to resell a $1600 kids bike. I also think I ended up with a better bike.
    RRP in Oz is $4995..........

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    RRP in Oz is $4995..........
    ???
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    ???
    I speak Aussie.

RRP = MSRP

$4995 AUD = $4360 USD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I speak Aussie.

RRP = MSRP

$4995 AUD = $4360 USD
    Holy ****, well proves the point you can buy a $400 disc brake model from any manufacturers, replace stuff like the seat post, handle bars etc with carbon, custom wheels, shortened cranks, get XTR and Thomson and have a cheaper, better bike
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is some raw data.

Approximate retail prices (not street price) and weights (approx)

You could drop $1000 bucks alone using straight XT (they already use the XT cassette). Use the right sized and still technically very good RST fork for another $400 savings and the retail price now dips below $3k. The main advantage of XTR is weight. Full XT does gain 1 lbs over XTR and SLX is 1.4 lbs same for same.

So here are your tradeoffs;
    XTR/SID = $4360 (mind you a 26" fork, cranks too long)
    XT/RST = $2704 (1 lbs heavier, cranks too long)
    SLX/RST = $2435 (1.4 lbs heavier, cranks too long)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I agree with the Scott Scale Jr. RC! Scott Scale $892.50 (my negotiated price), +$525 for a new XT drive train, 1X cranks, RST fork = 21.8 lbs for me. Or I should say my son.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Much more cost effective options for weight reduction of the XTR bike;

It come with lower-end specialized wire bead tires that probably weigh around 600gr each (interpolating from listed weights of the same 26 and 29" tires). Put on a pair of folding bead 24" Schwalbe Rocket Rons (440gr ea) and you immediately save 320gr of rotating weight.

Equip with v-brakes instead of disks, saves over one pound.

Ditch the 2X crankset for a 1X drivetrain, saves weight and cost of the front derailleur, shifter and cables.

I find it disappointing that even a big company like specialized couldn't (or did not bother to) pressure their various suppliers to produce a high performance 1200gr, 24" suspension fork.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Here is some raw data.

Geez, might as well go full SLX or even the new Deore. I've got a friend that just got a Santa Cruz with full Deore group and Deore clutch derailleur. Its every bit as good as my 3 year old XT stuff if not better. Actually the M615 disc brakes crush the old XT's!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looks pretty cool. There are hundreds of builds basically doing this exact thing for cheaper, but if you have more money than time go for it. I personally liked building mine and hand picking parts. I think the SID is awesome, but the newer SIDS are actually heavier than the older 28mm ones. At least you could strip the bike for parts and move everything to 26" frame in 2yrs (or less).
    Just Ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Link is not working for me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It was a special edition, and must be done as it no longer is on the website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It was a special edition, and must be done as it no longer is on the website.
    They suckered someone into buying the 2 they built.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was at incycle Pasadena yesterday and they had one there. Cool bike but crazy price 4,000

try driving your car less
    for 1600 you get something with an air fork and XT 2x10
    Yes you could make something cheaper from dumpster parts...
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    I just do not get why people put front derailleur on kids bikes, or 165mm cranks for that matter

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
    for 1600 you get something with an air fork and XT 2x10
    Yes you could make something cheaper from dumpster parts...
    It doesn't take dumpster parts. 24inch air fork is $200. The Cannadale 24 inch race bikes are $550 with an Air Shock. Race 24 Girl's

That's what I'm getting my daughter and putting disc on and a better drivetrain on. I can guarantee that it will end up a hell of a lot cheaper and better in the end.

Already went down the same route for my son with a Marin Bayview Trail.

That's a parent with too much money bike Specialized put out.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast