mtbr member
    May 2012

Specialized HotRock 16, 20, 24 builds/mods

As I was searching for information on repairing my sons Specialized Hotrock, I came across several threads on this forum, so I thought Id aggregate them all in one place to make it easier for the next guy looking to see what has been done with that bike.
    Let me know if I missed anything.

HotRock 24 Fever - Shop Me a 24" Wheel Build
    New bike for my boy

Project "green machine" Hotrock 20"
    Some work to do on my son's Hot Rock 20
    Yet another 20" Hotrock build thread...
    2008 hotrock worth 175.00
    20" hotrock 2X9 ???
    My 20" Hotrock x-mas gift project
    Hotrock 20 mods on a budget
    Just got my 5 year old her first real mountainbike!

Hand brake for a 16" Hotrock
    Another 16" Hotrock Build
    Resisting the urge to upgrade
    Last edited by 08FXT; 06-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Now older but less slow!
    Yep, there are a lot of threads.

Good job for consolidating them in one place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post
    Updated. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So for those of you who have built up Hotrocks, which frame model would you suggest? As near as I can tell, the pre 2009 models had a shorter TT, steeper HT angle, shorter chainstay, higher standover(?), and 130mm rear spacing, as compared to the newer models.

Overall, I see the slacker HT angle on the newer models and the lower standover as positives, but the longer TT and chainstay as negatives. I also like the 135mm rear spacing on the new models, which will allow me to drop in a hub for a cassette more easily....

But, since I've never worked on either bike (let alone ridden them), I'm curious what others who are more experienced would suggest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They're a;; good frames. If you're going to strip it and build it up, peruse Craigslist and Ebay and get one as cheap as you can. Main difference is that newer ones have a front shock, if that's important.

mtbr member
    Thanks for compiling, I'll be picking up a pink recent model 20" for my daughter and will be looking to tinker with it.

mtbr member
    Last edited by rkt88edmo; 07-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    New 20 incher build:
    Red Hotrock build

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you so much for this informational thread! I'll be taking notes for my kids' 16 and 20 builds!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Dude could you add mine please ? I'll be updating the thread with new mods as they arrive

Flash Yellow Custom Hotrock 16

Ta

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjmcqueen View Post
    Dude could you add mine please ? I'll be updating the thread with new mods as they arrive

Flash Yellow Custom Hotrock 16
    Ta
    Nice build!
    For some reason I can`t edit the first post anymore... Not sure if it`s because it`s too old or what

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    here is the bike that Santa brought my son for Christmas -

a mix of XT and X9 - Rock Shox Duke U-turn fork BB7 disks -

all good fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized HotRock 16, 20, 24 builds/mods-hr13edit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So... For the past few days I have been looking over your threads on 20" bikes, and reading all the reviews looking for my daughters next bike. Currently she is on a Hotrock 16. She is 44" and 48 lbs, her 5th birthday is toward the end of March.
    The two 20"s I've narrowed down are the Specialized Hotrock and the Giant Revel. I also like the Gary Fisher, however none of my LBS carry them, only the Trek.
    It seems that the Hotrock and Revel are both decent bikes, no matter what I will have to do some upgrades to insure that it lasts her and then her brother to? I suppose that is my first question.
    The Hotrock costs 315.00 at a LBS here in Bellingham. The Revel would be an hour drive south to Everett with a cheaper cost at 250.00. Does that really matter once we fill up the car with gas and get food?
    This is where I'm at...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt's FSR View Post
    here is the bike that Santa brought my son for Christmas -

a mix of XT and X9 - Rock Shox Duke U-turn fork BB7 disks -

all good fun
    Very nice! Never seen one with rear suspension. Do you have closer pics of it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Son of Don, if you wrench your own bikes make the drive, otherwise support the shop that will wrench them for you. The reality is that you will be lucky to get two seasons out of the bike before it is outgrown, so do not overspend. And don't forget that components can move from frame to frame so no risk there...

Fred

TIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I picked up a very nice 24" Hotrock for $95 on Craigslist today for my 9 year old. He has outgrown his 2011 20" Trek MT60 which we bought new and I always felt was a POS for the price. We previously had a 2010 16" Hotrock in Yellow/Black that I liked a lot, so I figured we would just move up the Specialized line.

The 24"er we bought is black with white trim, has an RST Capa Fork, 7-speed Sram X3.0 rear derailluer and disk brake bosses on the fork and chainstay. Any idea what model year this might have been?

It's really clean and just needs a bit of adjustment on the rear derailluer. It could probably use new brake cables too. I think I'm going to take a look at some possible upgrades to lighten it up a bit. I might also convert to disk brakes just because they are cool.

Back when we bought the 16"er, then the 20"er I didn't know about the family/kid forum on MTBR. Glad I found it. I've gotten some great upgrade idea here.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    The 24"er we bought is black with white trim, has an RST Capa Fork, 7-speed Sram X3.0 rear derailluer and disk brake bosses on the fork and chainstay. Any idea what model year this might have been?
    Specialized Bicycle Components . You can go year by year and look for it. If you have the newer style, with the curved down tube, and you know it is not the A1, that'll cut out a bunch of years.

TIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    . You can go year by year and look for it. If you have the newer style, with the curved down tube, and you know it is not the A1, that'll cut out a bunch of years.
    IAmH,

Thanks. I found it. It is a 2008 A1 in black. Nice find for the $95 price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm looking for a HR16, preferably in pink (what can I say, the little guy likes his pastels...JK). Stock or tricked-out, I'll take a look. Been searching E-bay and CR with no luck. Anybodies kids growing? (I have a feeling that this is a direct result of feeding them....)

TIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There's one on Cincinnati, Ohio Craigslist for $45. Looks great in the pics. It's orange and black

Sorry, not enough posts to be able to attach the URL.

Transition Blindside v5
    Thanks so much for putting together this very-helpful aggregated thread.

I literally just came back from picking up a girl's '09/'10 Hotrock ($90/Craigslist) for my petite 6yr-old daughter.

Looking forward to trying some of those mod's.

2 pix from the original Craigslist ad (not my own). As pictured, it weighs 24lbs 13oz on my scale.
    Specialized HotRock 16, 20, 24 builds/mods-3f23j73h25ic5ea5r9d6qd81ea8de96dd1856.jpg
    Specialized HotRock 16, 20, 24 builds/mods-3tf3kd3i65lb5ge5qfd6q4cdb307c21ba1fbc.jpg

{EDIT}
    And here's a pic (taken on 7/11/'13)...
    Last edited by PiroChu; 07-16-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added a pic