mtbr member
    May 2014

Specialized hotrock 12 Ideas - Ireland

So I'm trying to make sure my little cousin gets a good start into biking as he really seem to enjoy it. Currently hes on a 12" TykesByke Balance bike which he flys on, berms, drops, tricks hes all over it!

So with his birthday approaching I thought I'd start looking for a pedal bike, and suddenly up popped a Hotrock 12 which is hard enough to find new in Ireland let alone used and at a bargain price of 40 euro. It was a 2009/2010 spider model. I fully expected it to be a beater and after reading all the build threads here was looking forward to working on it! But no it was immaculate having been used about 5 times in total.

I removed the spider decals to freshen it up leaving only the saddle.

My questions are -
    - new small pedals, or would i have to go full size?
    - new spec saddle? can it be ordered or an alternative? LBS not being helpful as I'm not buying the bike new despite it coming from there originally
    - chainguard on or off? decal ideas for it? or leave it black?
    - change to freewheel or leave it as hes growing fast? cheap options as I'll be spending on a 16" soon anyway
    -new cool brake lever suggestions? would love avids but are they too big?

Would love to trip it out with anodized nuts and bolts,should I go the ebay route - hoping it'll be the coolest hotrock in the country...haha

Heres two images of it before I bought it and two after, I like the bike now...more mature for a 3 year old though maybe he likes spiders...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  54.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  5.2 KBSpecialized hotrock 12 Ideas - Ireland-2014-2.jpgSpecialized hotrock 12 Ideas - Ireland-2014-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Great buy! Stay with small pedals as big ones would strike I think. Remember to get the correct size for pedals on one-piece cranks 1/2"

I used an Onza mini trials saddle for my 16" build, I guess the 12" hotrock also has a 22.2 seatpost? Onza Mini Trials Saddle & Seatpost 23.4mm Kevlar Edge/ all plastic 22.2 post | eBay

Not sure about chainguard, looks cooler without but they are useful. As for coaster brake I think it is hard to swap to a freewheel without a new back wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Brake levers - Tektro do some good small ones

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    lower and lighter handlebar, I got the black sheep racing mini bmx from CRC, now sold out
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cyclocross "second" or "top" lever. Lose the chainguard... Then sell it to fund a Cult Juvenile in 16" when he gets big enough.