ilmfat
    Mar 2007

spawn savage vs islabike bienn 20

advantages of spawn:

1. it looks like a "real" mountain bike (and will match the banshee i got for lil sis).

2. i really like the bearings on the banshee i just built.

3. the fork looks "more capable" (this one doesnt count TOO much .......but it does count).

4. chainring is swappable.

5. can fit any tires i choose (islabike is tight on clearance, i was quoted a 1.9 for schwalbe).

advantages of islabikes:

1. 2.5 LBS LIGHTER!!!!!!!!

2. $300 CHEAPER!!!!!!!!!

really it comes down to the wheels.

i was VERY impressed with the banshee wheels.

the spawn wheels roll forever.

does islabikes run sealed bearings? are they super smooth?

its funny, my kid likes the red just fine, but me and her mom both think the spawn looks more like a "real" mountain bike.

i guess i am looking for affirmation that the spawn wheels are alot better, so i can justify MY aesthetic choices.

my daughter could care less, "as long as it has stickers".
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would not spend a ton on a 20 inch mtb bike. My son road his for a year till he was ready for a 24 inch. 20 inch mountain bikes are not close to as capable as the 24inch.

I like the Islabikes line, but would consider these options.

Kona makes a decent 20 inch mountain bike. My older son loves his kula 24

Better yet the redline conquest 20 cyclocross bike is surprisingly capable off road also great on road and great for cross.

Other option is a bmx racing bike. Redline is nice.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Kona is just like the other brands:

Heavy
    Useless fork
    Top of seatpost is pretty high.

Not BAD for an 8 year old.

My kids 5.

The conquest 20 is a skinny tire road bike with caliper brakes an a high bottom bracket.

It IS light tho.

I tried her on a mini.

Geo is off.

I'll prolly sell her mini and do the ARFcom thing and buy a spawn and an isla.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Oh, and I bet a could get 90% of what I put into em back within 10 minutes of posting an ad.

Plus, my 5 year old has a little sister.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My 6 year old rides the conquest 20- mostly to race cross with big bro. Realistically trail selection is key at 6 - I am not sending him down rocky rooty trails like his big brother (8) rides. For the easier trails the conquest does well - its light and rolls fast with the narrow small block 8's.

We also have an older Specialized Hotrock 20 mtb 7 speed - Garage sale $20 find - too heavy
    and a hotrock 20 BMX style (thrift store $30) better for the trails surprisingly.

For my boy and the easy trails he is ready to ride at 6 the Redline conquest is the best ride.
    Last edited by tekkamaki; 01-19-2014 at 09:21 PM.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    found a bone stock hotrock at a garage sale after trying her on the redline mini.

she had a "perfectly adequate" bike. but i figured id sell it cheap to my boss (and get brownie points) and upgrade.

after putting the spawn banshee together for lil sis, i decided i wanted to get her a savage.

then i found out isla came to the US.

honestly, (if you're gonna pay retail) i think anything other than the islabike is either settling, or paying for aesthetics. (unless your kid goes really big and needs the big hit kids bikes.)

i guess ima choose aesthetics.

what can i say? i really want to get the girls matching bikes.

plus, my wife told me she wants the spawn over the beinn20, and she is usually the one telling me to not spend so much.

the wife gets what the wife wants.

her old bike:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spawn savage vs islabike  bienn 20-hotrock-done.jpg  

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post

advantages of islabikes:

1. 2.5 LBS LIGHTER!!!!!!!!

2. $300 CHEAPER!!!!!!!!!
    I assume you're comparing rigid to rigid models due to the 2.5 lb difference and not the front suspension Spawn?

I'm not getting the $300 price difference. Are you factoring in importing costs?

My boys are thirteen months apart and will turn five and six this summer. We are also considering the two bikes you're looking at but want to see a Cannondale Street 20 first. From what we can tell it has a lot more aluminum parts on it than any other common 20" MTB (I don't consider the Spawn or Beinn to be common at all). We want them to ride a fully rigid bike for now so the aluminum rigid fork is appealing.

If it does boil down to the Spawn and Beinn I think I'd go with the Spawn. Number one reason is I think it will appeal to mommy and daddy bike geeks down the road when they outgrow it.

Tire clearance is also a concern. My boys ride the dirt jump park, pump track and paved bike trails. Single track is their favorite but we have to drive a long ways to get to single track that is suitable for them.

Have you requested geometry from Islabikes US? I think one poster here has posted some of their geometry in a few threads. As I recall both companies have sort of short top tube lengths. My boys have short legs and long upper bodies (like their parents) so that's a concern for us.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, rigid to rigid.

Seems to be the Concensus that ups=import duties.

If my kids were leaning towards jumping, I'd go spawn. Tire clearance AND I trust the durability on the savage more. (Don't get me wrong, I think the isla would be plenty strong for MY trails, but once you start factoring jumps/"drops", my faith drops off FAST).

Which actually makes a case for the spawn EVEN IF they have shorter top tubes. The spawn geo will be closer to a real jump bike vs a cannondale street.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, the cannondale uses a freewheel type cog set while the savage uses a cassette, which appeals to me because it makes the SS conversion more straight forward.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    So I just looked, and saw ur in rapid.

I miss that bike path.

We lived just west of downtown, so were a 5 min ride from hopping on the path.

I'd def go savages, as I see them progressing FAST, and parts of M hill are kinda kid friendly.

I think.

It's been quite a few years.