mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Spawn Owners - Brood Fork Service Manual/Instructions?

Any Brood fork owners out there who have done a basic seal service? Spawn sent me a seal kit, but didn't include service details such as a recommended procedure for removing the lowers, oil weight and oil volumes for the lowers, etc. I've emailed them a couple times asking for this info but they have not responded (I know they've been really busy opening up a storefront in Squamish so that isn't too surprising). I'd really like to know some of these details before I pull the thing apart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Any Brood fork owners out there who have done a basic seal service? Spawn sent me a seal kit, but didn't include service details such as a recommended procedure for removing the lowers, oil weight and oil volumes for the lowers, etc. I've emailed them a couple times asking for this info but they have not responded (I know they've been really busy opening up a storefront in Squamish so that isn't too surprising). I'd really like to know some of these details before I pull the thing apart.
    Agree, I asked for this info as well a month ago and this was from Max via email (best way to chat as they are using zen desk now) :

1. For the fork, we're working on a manual, but there is very little to do. We will have seal kits available on the site later this week, but other than just a quick clean and lube, there isn't much to do. The damper is a self contained cartridge with a bladder like a Charger so there isn't much to service - if it ain't broke I wouldn't recommend opening it up.
    Last edited by svinyard; 07-18-2018 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had no plans to open up the damper, but is there no lube oil in the lowers at all? The oil residue on the dropouts and rebound knob would indicate that there is. Sure would be nice to know how much to put in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I had no plans to open up the damper, but is there no lube oil in the lowers at all? The oil residue on the dropouts and rebound knob would indicate that there is. Sure would be nice to know how much to put in there.
    Yeah man. Keep pinging them . I'd like to know this as well. How much oil, what weight oil and if there is any oil in the airside etc. FWIW ours is working fine, I'd just like to keep it that way. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there may be a way for me to move from 80mm of travel to 100 and slacken it out a bit more too something closer to 67d. We could really use it. So man, if you do take it apart, please take a bunch of pictures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Heard back. No lube oil in the lowers. Recommended applying some teflon-based grease to the seals and bushings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Heard back. No lube oil in the lowers. Recommended applying some teflon-based grease to the seals and bushings.
    Cool, have you taken yours apart yet? I'd love to see the video and tools used.

teflon-based grease...that is not slick honey is it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Clean and lube the lowers with Slick Honey. The cartridge is non serviceable. If it goes back you replace it. I've taken lots of them apart. Let me know if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo9 View Post
    Clean and lube the lowers with Slick Honey. The cartridge is non serviceable. If it goes back you replace it. I've taken lots of them apart. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks Demo, what tools are needed to do the job. Anything special?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    A little allen key to get the rebound knob off and a deep socket to pull the bolts. Then the lowers slide right off. You could then take a spanner and pull the nut off the end of the stanchion on the air rod side. First let the air out of the air chamber. Then then put the shock pump on and pump till the air rod and piston come out. I then lube the o-ring with Fox fork oil. I then pull the top cap off the air side and lube the o-ring on the top cap with fork oil. Next reinstall the air rod and air rod nut and tighten. Follow up with a table spoon of Fox oil on top of the piston and reinstall the top cap. I find the forks to start loosing air over time and this seems to remedy the problem. I do have O-ring for the forks if needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey demo, quick question...is there any sort of spacer or something that would allow someone to bump up the stock travel from 80mm to 100mm? They make a 100mm fork and I'm hoping its actually the same fork but with a reducer in there or something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If their is a spacer on the fork it would be right under the White ring with the roll pin in it at the upper end of the air rod. Its Black and about 20mm long with a split in it.