mtbr member

Spawn Gremlin 14" build

My son turned 3 a couple of weeks ago. he has been able to ride this gor about 4-5 months but 2 months ago finally decided he was tired of his scoot bike. We orginally bought this for his sister knowing she would bery quickly outgrow it but that we would shortly get our money pit of it. The gremlin comes just fine from the factory but i have take off parts in the garage and I can't leave well enough alone, so upgrades are as follows; tires went from 14x1.5 slicks to 14x2.125 knobbies, handlebars went from 22.2 steel riser with matching Spawn stem to 31.8 chinese carbon with 45mm Loaded stem, grips are now Bontrager grips shift grips. Next up are taking the Tektro JL350 brake levers that come stock to a machine shop to get the mount milled out to fit a regular handlebar and some free agent mini platform pedals since the plastic pedals on the bike are already broken on the end.

Stock being built

As it sits today

My son taking it on the tank trail
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am thinking about getting one of these for my girls. My 3yo has a 12" Schwinn bike that Grandma got her for christmas, but the lowest the seat will go is 18.5" off the ground!! Spawn lists the "minimum standover" for this bike as 15.5"... which should be plenty low. Since I have a 2yo coming along behind, I am thinking of getting the Gremlin for the older girl now... and probably ditching the well-intentioned Grandma bike.

Any chance you could put the seat down all the way and tell me how high off the ground it is? I'd be interested to know if it's really the 15.5" that Spawn states.

Hope your boy is enjoying his bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anyone know why it's not sold in the US any more?

Spawn Cycle Gremlin | Spawn Cycles - Born to Ride

I can't find one on ebay, craigslist, or Amazon...

I've got a tall 3 year-old...we are looking at a hotrock 12" tonight (used), but this 14" might be better for him but can't seem to find one...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been told that it is illegal to sell a "sidewalk" bike in the US without a coaster brake. Maybe they had legal trouble? If you can find one, the Gremlin is fantastic! Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah that is what the guy at IslaBikes said. Well that stinks.

At least it looks like you can still get a Banshee?

Honestly, my son was perfectly fine with his coaster brake HotRock 12", we skipped right over a 14" and went to the 16" Banshee. If I had got him a 14" bike he would have outgrown it rediculously quick. But I guess it comes down to what height your child is.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    At least it looks like you can still get a Banshee?

Honestly, my son was perfectly fine with his coaster brake HotRock 12", we skipped right over a 14" and went to the 16" Banshee. If I had got him a 14" bike he would have outgrown it rediculously quick. But I guess it comes down to what height your child is.
    The webside doesn't say no, and I placed an order for a Banshee a couple weeks back. They charged my card already, so they had better ship the bike in November, or we'll have a tantruming 4 year old at Christmas! I suspect they will, though. I can't see why they would put the note on the Gremlin, but not the Banshee, if they couldn't ship both.

My oldest went straight from a balance bike to the Gremlin (no 12" bike), and the youngest is set to follow her. If you have a 12" I'd probably wait until they grow enough to go straight to the 16" as well. Especially since the new 16" Banshee is supposed to put the seat lower than the original!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Got an answer....Someone at Spawn sent a quick reply:

Hi Shane,

Unfortunately, we found out recently that the name Gremlin was trademarked in the US by another bike company so unfortunately we canít ship the bike to the US anymore. We will be changing the name of the 14Ē model going forward and will be able to ship to the US again once that is done. Sorry for the inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    My oldest went straight from a balance bike to the Gremlin (no 12" bike), and the youngest is set to follow her. If you have a 12" I'd probably wait until they grow enough to go straight to the 16" as well. Especially since the new 16" Banshee is supposed to put the seat lower than the original!
    He's currently still on his Strider. Trying to figure out next steps...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner2000 View Post
    Got an answer....Someone at Spawn sent a quick reply:

Hi Shane,

Unfortunately, we found out recently that the name Gremlin was trademarked in the US by another bike company so unfortunately we canít ship the bike to the US anymore. We will be changing the name of the 14Ē model going forward and will be able to ship to the US again once that is done. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Awesome!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Interesting... I sent them a message a few weeks back, but never got a reply! That is fantastic news.