mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Spawn Cycles Rokkusuta 24 first ride

This last weekend my son and I were able to to put in some shuttle laps at Mt. Swansea in Invermere BC. He has done a few mellow XC rides on the bike, but this was his first real DH experience on the new Rokkusuta.

Lucas is 8yo and 55lbs. He is 52" tall with a 22.5" inseam. At a glance the 24" Rokkusuta looks too large for him – especially compared to his old 20" Spawn Cycles Savage.

I told him to take it easy the first lap to make sure everything was sorted and so that he could get used to the bigger bike, but half way down he was going full trail speed and hopping off everything in his way. He got used to the bike very quick and was going at least twice as fast as where he left off on these trails last fall. He happily flowed through numerous steep technical sections that he would normally walk and aired out a few of the smaller tables with ease.

Safe to say things went considerably better than I expected and the benefits of the bigger bike (larger wheels, higher bottom bracket, full suspension, longer wheel base, slacker head angle) far out weigh the negatives (weight and standover).

It was also nice to see the X Fusion fork and shock become much more supple as they broke in. We had them set up for 30% sag and he used full travel of the fork on two occasions where there were deep bomb holes at the bottom of a g-out.

Spawn Cycles Rokkusuta 24 first ride-p4pb14643779.jpg
    Spawn Cycles Rokkusuta 24 first ride-p4pb14643782.jpg
    Spawn Cycles Rokkusuta 24 first ride-p4pb14643780.jpg
    Spawn Cycles Rokkusuta 24 first ride-p4pb14643783.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Niiiiice! My son is loving his Rokkusuta too. Agree about the benefits outweighing the weight concerns. My son's 20" Rokkusuta is 2.6 lbs heavier than his Savage 2.0, which is a 12% difference, so it's not terrible.

Thanks for the video. Fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Wow. That's really good riding by your son. I wish I had Trails like that where we live. Did your son get to try climbing with the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk