Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Nice! If you hit up singletrack, you may want to swap out the tires. We put some 2.4" knobbies on our Banshee at maybe $15 a piece and they helped immensely.

Is it just this photo, or is the Spawn Banshee a darker green than the bright green shown on their website?
    Spawn Cycles Banshee | Spawn Cycles - Born to Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'd say somewhere in the middle is reality. In that pic my son was under tree shade; our bike isn't radioactive looking like in the Spawn pic, they probably took that in bright sunlight.

For anyone looking to get a Banshee, they only have a few left and then no more til Spring, so act fast, they posted that on their Facebook the other day.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Nice! If you hit up singletrack, you may want to swap out the tires. We put some 2.4" knobbies on our Banshee at maybe $15 a piece and they helped immensely.

What tires are these? I am having a hard time finding a 16" tire online that is over 2.1" wide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by B.A.R.K. View Post
    What tires are these? I am having a hard time finding a 16" tire online that is over 2.1" wide.
    Oops! I just found my receipt from when I purchased them and they aren't 2.4", sorry. They are Kenda K50 Comp III 16" x 2.125", they were $7 each from Niagara Cycle. They are huge compared to the stock tires on the Banshee though, I'll say that.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Amom View Post
    Last I measured his inseam, it was a bit above 17". Fully within Banshee recommendations but almost 2 inches short for the 19" minimum inseam for the 20" Savage. Nowhere have I found a size chart that tracks how fast an inseam grows. If he is at 17" inseam, that gives me 4" of inseam before he hits the 21" max for the banshee (which may require an extended seatpost -- we have had one on the Strider for ages). I just can't see putting a 3 year old who has never had pedals on a 20" bike with gears, so I think (assuming I measure and he hasn't rocketed above a 19" inseam) he will be getting a banshee and then getting a savage next year and selling the banshee then. I understand I will be losing some money, but I don't want to make him hate riding by putting him on something too big. I'm willing to make the investment in him learning to love it.

He does seem to have long legs and a shorter torso, but he has long arms and a wingspan that is long for height. He might be in the middle of a growth spurt though. I swear he eats more than I do these days...

The banshee is on backorder so I am holding off a bit before ordering just so I can wait until the last minute to take a final measurement.

I keep eyeing the Cleary because it is only 2 lbs heavier, over $100 cheaper, and they are willing to make the 16" hedgehog in orange (my son's current favorite color). The delivery date is a no go for us so far though.
    How long did your son last on the Banshee? I am in a similar situation. My son is on the top end of the sizing chart for the Banshee. I am hesitant to go bigger until he becomes a stronger rider.
    Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I haven't measured his inseam in a while, but he is still happily riding the banshee. He just hit 5 1/2 and he is 47 inches tall, which is big for his age. It has been a great bike and still fits him really well. In hindsight a bigger bike would have been way too big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I bought a 16" Spawn Banshee for my son when he turned 4 and it fit perfectly at the time. I've already bought him a 20" Savage 2.0 used for a great price ). Now that he's just turned 5 (43" tall, 17.5" inseam), he can ride it, but it's a HUGE bike for him.

OK for riding around the block, but not OK for real adventures where he often has to get on/off the bike quickly and lift it up a curb or over rocks and roots - it's way too heavy for him to handle in such a manner. I foresee him riding the Banshee for another year simply because it works much better for him and hence he has more fun on it.

Resale values for Banshees are ridiculously good in our area with people easily recovering 80% of their retail purchase price.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Amom View Post
    I haven't measured his inseam in a while, but he is still happily riding the banshee. He just hit 5 1/2 and he is 47 inches tall, which is big for his age. It has been a great bike and still fits him really well. In hindsight a bigger bike would have been way too big.
    Awesome! That sounds like we could get 3 summers out of our Banshee instead of the 2 I predicted!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12