Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I knew the swap was soon. And Jans and White Pine are good shops, with lots of floor space. Not a crazy amount of kids gear, but better than most.

My 5 year old will be doing the Young Riders camp this summer, and hopefully she will like it. We ride at Trailside bike park and Round Valley a lot, (northeast side of town and where we live), and there are always families riding around. Trailside bike park is a great place to start, as it has a good pump track, and a couple good beginner trails (and really good intermediate/expert trails too).

Hope you enjoy Park City, as we certainly have for the 3 years we have lived here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for your replies. That bike park looks like a lot of fun. That will probably be one of our first stops in town. :-). I am really look forward to the move.

The Young Riders camp looks great. I was wishing I could put my son in it. He has a late birthday, so will still be only 3. I am going to keep it in mind for the next 2 summers and see how he is then. It looks like a great program.

Maybe we will see you on the trails or at the bike park in PC! :-)

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Amom View Post
    My worry is that my son might outgrow this bike in a year. He is already 43" tall. How long (tall) can or should a kid ride the banshee or a 16" bike in general?
    Have you measured his inseam and compared it to some of the fitting charts?

My five year old rides a Specialized Hotrock 16 with the bars tilted pretty far forward to make up for his relatively long upper body. He's too big for it now but that's not the point. The point is that his younger brother (turns five in July) was also able to ride it comfortably when he was 42" tall. We didn't change handlebar angle but just lowered the seat. For reference his inseam measured barefoot was a bit under 16" when he was 42" tall.

In my situation I'd never buy a new 16" bike for him based on how quickly his older brother outgrew his. Older brother turns six in June and also has the relatively long upper body.

From the sounds of your boy's size I'd be concerned about him outgrowing a 16" bike. But many he has long legs and a short torso?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Have you measured his inseam and compared it to some of the fitting charts?
    From the sounds of your boy's size I'd be concerned about him outgrowing a 16" bike. But many he has long legs and a short torso?
    Last I measured his inseam, it was a bit above 17". Fully within Banshee recommendations but almost 2 inches short for the 19" minimum inseam for the 20" Savage. Nowhere have I found a size chart that tracks how fast an inseam grows. If he is at 17" inseam, that gives me 4" of inseam before he hits the 21" max for the banshee (which may require an extended seatpost -- we have had one on the Strider for ages). I just can't see putting a 3 year old who has never had pedals on a 20" bike with gears, so I think (assuming I measure and he hasn't rocketed above a 19" inseam) he will be getting a banshee and then getting a savage next year and selling the banshee then. I understand I will be losing some money, but I don't want to make him hate riding by putting him on something too big. I'm willing to make the investment in him learning to love it.

He does seem to have long legs and a shorter torso, but he has long arms and a wingspan that is long for height. He might be in the middle of a growth spurt though. I swear he eats more than I do these days...

The banshee is on backorder so I am holding off a bit before ordering just so I can wait until the last minute to take a final measurement.

I keep eyeing the Cleary because it is only 2 lbs heavier, over $100 cheaper, and they are willing to make the 16" hedgehog in orange (my son's current favorite color). The delivery date is a no go for us so far though.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just can't see putting a 3 year old who has never had pedals on a 20" bike with gears...
    I agree. My younger son started riding a pedal bike a month before his third birthday and no way was he ready for gears or even a hand brake.

On that note, I'm pretty sure both of the smaller Spawns have a coaster brake, at least those imported into the US.

The Cleary's have a freewheel.

As much as I dislike the coaster brake on our Hotrock 16 I wouldn't have wanted my three year olds to be without them.

Islabikes has another sizing chart worth looking at. Unfortunately they don't list their geometries so you have to piece together your own from forum posts here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Both of the small spawns (we own both) have freewheels, not a coaster. This is one of the major points in their favor. The 14" Furi (nee Gremlin) has special brake levers for super-small hands. The 16" has small (but not extra-small) brake levers.

I got an eMail from the folks at Cleary; they state that their smallest bike (12") has a coaster-brake, but their 16" bike does not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I think as long as the bike fits, he will be able to figure out the hand breaks. I think he will be fine without a coaster break because he has never had one. It is all just a learning curve... Trying to make it as smooth as possible.

I really appreciate everyone on this forum. Such a great help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I think as long as the bike fits, he will be able to figure out the hand breaks. I think he will be fine without a coaster break because he has never had one. It is all just a learning curve... Trying to make it as smooth as possible.

I really appreciate everyone on this forum. Such a great help!
    I think you're right on there. My girls started off with just hand brakes, and no problems at all. When learning to pedal, both of them tended to pedal backwards half the time, because they didn't quite know what forwards was. If they had coaster brakes, they would probably have crashed a lot more.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Both of the small spawns (we own both) have freewheels, not a coaster. This is one of the major points in their favor.
    When did you buy them? If you read through all of the posts on this forum it seems that at one point you could order a 16" Spawn with a freewheel but that they changed that at some point, at least for the bikes shipped to the US.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    When did you buy them? If you read through all of the posts on this forum it seems that at one point you could order a 16" Spawn with a freewheel but that they changed that at some point, at least for the bikes shipped to the US.
    The issue was actually with the 14" bike; there was much speculation and fear that the reason they couldn't ship it to the US was due to the coaster issue, but it turned out to be a trademark issue with Schwinn. They renamed the bike to Furi, instead of Gremlin, and are once again shipping to the states. The Banshee has always been fine

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I emailed Spawn and confirmed there is no coaster brake on the Banshee.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Banshee is an awesome bike, but I wouldn't write off the Islabikes 16" (with a 17" inseam he would be too small for their small 20") just yet. We recently got our 5 year old the small 20" and were amazed at the night and day difference the bike made for him. Besides weight, Islabikes has a lot of other features going on that other bikes simply can't compete with. This comparative review does a good job pointing out the differences: Islabikes Beinn 20? Small | Two Wheeling Tots. I will say however, that while my son does awesome with the bike on single track, the bike is too big for him to use at the skate park were he does much better with his old, $30 used 16" Specialized.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    We bought a Spawn Banshee today. They are on backorder, so we begin to wait patiently. It should arrive right after we do. :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We bought a Spawn Banshee today. They are on backorder, so we begin to wait patiently. It should arrive right after we do. :-)
    Nice! If you hit up singletrack, you may want to swap out the tires. We put some 2.4" knobbies on our Banshee at maybe $15 a piece and they helped immensely.

Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks! Great picture. Definitely a happy kid!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    We received our Banshee and paid a local bike shop to put it together. The bike mechanic and owner kept commenting about how nice it is. They were great and the mechanic even let my son watch, hand him tools, and use an Allen wrench a few times. Really a great experience.

My husband was commenting on the quality of the welds and parts. He is really happy. I love how light it is. The quality of the bike is head and shoulders over others I have seen. (Still haven't seen a Cleary because they aren't out. They will probably be very nice.)

My son loves his new bike. It is hard to get him off it. Unfortunately, he keeps asking if he can ride down stairs... He is accepting no for an answer so far, but I think I might be investing in a full face helmet sooner than expected...

Only trouble we are having is my son getting used to having brakes. He loves that he can make the bike hop by slamming the hand brakes. I wish we had started on a balance bike with hand brakes. Maybe I just wish my child had more of an interest in self preservation... Or maybe just a little bit of fear... My husband thinks it is hilarious. I'm just... Mom. I have enough fear for all of us. ;-)

Bottom line... Amazing bike. Worth every penny to us. I hope it fits him at least a year. If it doesn't (which is a very real possibility, having seen him on it), I am okay with that. This is the right bike for him for right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    By the way, Spawn has changed the tires to Schwalbe Black Jack tires now. The LBS bike mechanic said they are great tires. Look good to me. :-)

mtbr member
    Amom,

Anecdotal story possibly relevant to your stairs issue: Awhile back my 5 y.o. (then 4) wanted to go over a jump that I knew was too big for him. I told him exactly how he would crash but he kept insisting. I figured it was one of those things I just had to let him do even through it was scary for me since I thought it was unlikely he'd get very hurt. Of course he crashed, and cried, but wasn't really hurt. Last weekend when he wanted to go over a big jump I told him "no." He asked, "why?" I explained exactly how I thought he'd crash and then said, "ok."

Of course YMMV with your kid. Please don't be offended if this is taken as unsolicited parental advice.

Back to the thread: I've got him on a Spec 16" hot rock right now. On steeper trails he fishtails with the rear coaster locked -- which is kinda cool and scary at the same time. I really think he needs a bike with brakes and am tempted to get the Spawn even though I think he'll outgrown in a year or so. That's what little brothers are for, though, right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am always happy for advice from those who have been there already. :-). If it were one or two stairs, I would let him have at it. But I wasn't going to let my 3 year-old take his bike down 8 concrete stairs on his first day ever with pedals and brakes...

I know it will happen. Just not yet. ;-)

mtbr member
    Yeah, that makes sense

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anything that makes me feel better about spending this much would also be welcome. :-)
    I gawked at the prices when I first looked at the Spawn Furi (14"), but as soon as I realized the following points, it became a done deal in my head:

- i have 2 kids (2 yrs apart) that will use any bike I buy
    - it's only 1/10th the price of my own bike... hee hee.
    - resale value will be high... so $ per kid per year is relatively small
    - riding is a lifestyle for my family... not just a past time

As you've noted as well, the quality and build is outstanding on the Spawn's. Worth every penny.

He loves that he can make the bike hop by slamming the hand brakes.
    In addition to teaching about front versus rear brake use, I set the front brake so that it really doesn't do much. As he gets more mileage into understanding the brakes, I just use the barrel adjuster to slowly add a bit more effectiveness. You may wish to do the same

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    After seeing the bike in action, I have no qualms about the price. It is serious quality. While many kids learn on department store bikes, this bike is head & shoulders above what we have seen and the weight difference is noticeable. My 3 year-old could barely budge the bikes in toys r us two weeks ago when we were in there for something else and he can now bunny hop the Banshee... It would be years before he could be strong enough to do that on a department store bike. To us, those years of biking as a family are worth the price premium, even if I pick up a few grey hairs along the way. :-)

Genuine thanks to all in the forum who have helped us. I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CeUnit View Post
    I gawked at the prices when I first looked at the Spawn Furi (14"), but as soon as I realized the following points, it became a done deal in my head:

- i have 2 kids (2 yrs apart) that will use any bike I buy
    - it's only 1/10th the price of my own bike... hee hee.
    - resale value will be high... so $ per kid per year is relatively small
    - riding is a lifestyle for my family... not just a past time
    I would also add that modding something like a Specialized Hotrock to have a freewheel quickly makes it cost MORE than the Spawn bikes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2