Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Son's 24" bike

Wēk Ss

Son's 24" bike

I just completed it this past weekend.

Frame is from a Columbia Trailhead 24" bike, stripped and powder coated.
    2000 Rockshox SID XC fork
    Alex ACE-20 rims
    Sapim spokes and nipples
    Shimano RM-66 hub
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron, run with gorilla tape tubeless
    Origin 8 TorqLite 110mm bottom bracket
    Lasco 152mm crank
    RaceFace Turbine 22/32 rings
    BBG Bashguard
    FSA alloy chainring bolts
    Wellgo M-111 pedals
    SRAM PG-951 chain
    Shimano CS-HG81 cassette, 11-34T
    SRAM X.5 medium cage rear derailleur
    SRAM 5.0 front derailleur
    SRAM X.5 trigger shifters
    Avid SD7 levers
    Tektro 530AL v-brake (rear)
    Avid BB7 with 160mm Ashima rotor (front)
    Some ebay centerlock to 6-bolt adapter.
    Tioga seat post
    Selle Italia Jr. saddle
    Sette seat post clamp
    Jagwire compressionless brake cables
    Carbon Cycles 60mm stem
    Ritchey CompLite handlebar (have an EC70 carbon handlebar to go on when I get the time)
    VP headset with cartridge bearings
    Lizard Skins Dual Compound Moab grip, cut down to about 90mm.

Weight: 22.7 lbs with pedals

Test ride was OK. There needs to be some adjustment on the fork, it's a bit too firm right now. I dropped some pressure after the ride, from the +VE side and the damper, but need to take it for another spin.

The carbon handlebars should take a bit of weight off, not much. I am considering a carbon seatpost and going to a X.9 derailleur and ExtraLite rings to drop some more weight off. It won't save a whole lot, but not sure where else to take weight off. I had to double wrap the rims with gorilla tape for tubeless, so that probably adds some weight unfortunately.

I'm still looking for a better kid's saddle. He had Odyssey Jr. on his 20", but he said it's getting a bit small and uncomfortable for him. He likes the Selle Italia, but I don't like that it's not formed like an adults with the relief areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Son's 24" bike-imag0082.jpg  

Son's 24" bike-imag0083.jpg  

Son's 24" bike-imag0084.jpg  

Son's 24" bike-imag0085.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow, Looks great, Love the color!

Wēk Ss
    The color is awesome. My son picked it out, and I was in shock. I want it for my bikes. It's 2 colors, a yellow-green. When the sun hits it, at the part that reflects back directly, it's a bright yellow and as it bends around the tube it goes to a florescent green. It is totally awesome in person.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Very nice!

mtbr member
    Cool looking bike!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    very cool looking ! did you get him to help you? good bonding time

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by mike61911 View Post
    very cool looking ! did you get him to help you? good bonding time
    Thanks all!

Yes, I did! He wanted to help.

He did the bottom bracket, cranks, headset, seatpost, seat, stem, cassette, initial tires onto the wheel to seat the tape, derailleur, chain, rotor, and I helped with the install of the fork. I did the pedals, brakes, the shifters, brake levers, and cabling.

I did show him how to adjust the derailleurs and how to set up the derailleurs, but I don't think he'll remember. He'll have another shot in a couple of years when he moves to a 26".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Great job, looks good & light weight.
    Extralite chain rings are a great idea, very light, shift great and last a long time.16 & 30 grams for the 22/32.
    If your looking at going lighter, a cheap carbon post like the Token post is a good way to go.
    Bolt on skewers & Alum. crank bolts from torontocycles.
    Aluminium 11/32 cassette. 32 cog & 22 granny with 24" wheels will climb some really steep hills.
    Foam grips.
    You could probably find some cheap Ti axles for those pedals on ebay.

turtles make me hot
    VERY Nice.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Wow, very nice!

Kind regards,

Clemens

Now older but less slow!
    Awesome color and nice bike! The front mech looks a little high though. Do you have clearance issues preventing it from going lower?

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    Awesome color and nice bike! The front mech looks a little high though. Do you have clearance issues preventing it from going lower?
    Thanks, and it can go lower. I always found that, with a triple derailleur, it's better to set it up as if the big ring was on. Even though I'm running a double, I pulled it up so that in 22 front with 11T rear, there is as much clearance as possible. That said, it the chain rubs on the 32T ring in that gear, but it clears the derailleur and shifts fine.

I should probably put the big ring on so that I can size it properly. I just did it by feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice build.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

rebmem rbtm
    Well done. The riding position looks aggressive, those rocket rons and carbon cycles stem might be in my future....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very Nice!! Where did you find the Alex ACE 20 rims and Lasco cranks? I have been looking for the rims for a while and can't seem to find any. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Where can one purchase the 24" Rocket Rons? All I can find are outside of the US.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by krud View Post
    Very Nice!! Where did you find the Alex ACE 20 rims and Lasco cranks?
    I'm not sure where the OP got his cranks but I looked these up this morning and Utah Trikes have them.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 04-06-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Wēk Ss
    Yes, I got them at Utah Trikes. A 110mm bottom bracket will give you a 48.5 chainline. I replaced the rings with Race Face Turbine rings and alloy chainring bolts to lighten it up.

The Alex ACE-20 rims, I got it from an ebay vendor, Chasertech. He doesn't list them, but he can sell them.

The Rocket Ron, I bought from Amazon. I was searching too, and they were all outside the US except I stumbled upon Amazon.com having them. They are not cheap though, and is roughly the same as shipping from Europe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Yes, I got them at Utah Trikes. A 110mm bottom bracket will give you a 48.5 chainline. I replaced the rings with Race Face Turbine rings and alloy chainring bolts to lighten it up.

The Alex ACE-20 rims, I got it from an ebay vendor, Chasertech. He doesn't list them, but he can sell them.

The Rocket Ron, I bought from Amazon. I was searching too, and they were all outside the US except I stumbled upon Amazon.com having them. They are not cheap though, and is roughly the same as shipping from Europe.
    Thanks for the info. Got the cranks and rims are on there way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, nice bike.

Now older but less slow!
    Do you happen to know the weight of the Selle Italia Jr. saddle as i am looking for a better saddle for my son. I came across this while searching. I haven't tried it but perhaps it may fit what you are looking for in a saddle.

MCS Expert Seat

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I love this! My 10 year old daughter asked me yesterday about building her a mountain bike. This looks like a good example to start from. I'm guessing that's a 26"SID, right?
    Scandal 29 | Reba 29 RL | XTR 1X9 | Avid Elixir cr | C29ssMax UST | Geax Saguaro TNT
    Pardon my English. I live in Arkansas.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    Do you happen to know the weight of the Selle Italia Jr. saddle as i am looking for a better saddle for my son. I came across this while searching. I haven't tried it but perhaps it may fit what you are looking for in a saddle.

MCS Expert Seat
    about 300g

I saw the MCS Expert. They never responded to my inquiry, so I never bought it.

I was also looking at the Crupi Ti seat, but it seems a bit expensive and may not have much padding.

I am using a WTB Rocket V SLT now. There are a number of changes to the bike (some parts in transport still), I will repost when it's all modified. End weight should be 21.7 lbs or so, it's 22.0 lbs now, dropped off another 0.7 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by badgercyclist View Post
    I love this! My 10 year old daughter asked me yesterday about building her a mountain bike. This looks like a good example to start from. I'm guessing that's a 26"SID, right?
    Yes, it's a 26" SID. It's a 2000 SID XC (a coil negative spring). I was debating between the SID XC I have on it now or a newer SID (2009 or 2010 can't remember) I have on a XS 26" I started but aborted. I opted for the XC since it was already 80mm and I didn't need to muck with a spacer. I can't find spacers for the older SIDs, FWIW, to drop it down to 63mm.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Thanks for the AC20 tip. Ordering.

Can not decide if I need to go for 28t or 32t (I have 32t hubs around, but thought it may be nice to make 28 - and disk compatible). Same idea of disk front, V-brakes rear.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Thanks for the AC20 tip. Ordering.

Can not decide if I need to go for 28t or 32t (I have 32t hubs around, but thought it may be nice to make 28 - and disk compatible). Same idea of disk front, V-brakes rear.
    You're welcome.

If you're buying hubs, I would get 28h. I had 32h as well, and I like Shimano hubs for ease of maintenance. The hub choice is the only thing I wish I spent more on and just bought 28h hubs. Primarily because it would have helped get things down to 20lbs or less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast