Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Son's 24" bike

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    You're welcome.

If you're buying hubs, I would get 28h. I had 32h as well, and I like Shimano hubs for ease of maintenance. The hub choice is the only thing I wish I spent more on and just bought 28h hubs. Primarily because it would have helped get things down to 20lbs or less.
    Yeah, probably would order 28h, as long as I am lacing them up.

Now looking at your bike I wonder if I should strip paint and send it for anodization. Daughter wanted a blue one.

Sounds silly, but when she likes it, she rides more, and I consider that a good investment.

Simple things like a few bling items from Purely Custom on her 20" bike quite inspired her to ride.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Yeah, probably would order 28h, as long as I am lacing them up.

Now looking at your bike I wonder if I should strip paint and send it for anodization. Daughter wanted a blue one.

Sounds silly, but when she likes it, she rides more, and I consider that a good investment.

Simple things like a few bling items from Purely Custom on her 20" bike quite inspired her to ride.
    I absolutely agree. Kids have egos too and having a cool bike helps quite a bit, especially when they pick out their own color. Iridescent colors are wicked cool. I'm jealous when I look at my own single color bike.

I wish I could spend more time with my daughter, but my son is way more advanced even though he's only 2 years older.

With the paint, the shop did the stripping (MAAS brothers). All I did was drop it off at Trailhead Cyclery and they have a deal with MAAS for pickup and drop off. I'm not sure if ano shops would do the stripping for you. Reading that other thread in Norcal makes me not even want to try.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    With the paint, the shop did the stripping (MAAS brothers). All I did was drop it off at Trailhead Cyclery and they have a deal with MAAS for pickup and drop off. I'm not sure if ano shops would do the stripping for you. Reading that other thread in Norcal makes me not even want to try.
    I have stripped a few frames, not too bad.

I was going to stop at Trailhead for the wheelbuild..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Awesome, Thx for help on my 6 year olds 20" this week...now I see your 24" build !! this is great... I'm getting ready to build a 24"" for my 8 year old !!... or maybe your kid has out grown all ready?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great build! I'll be starting one soon for my son. How tall is your kid and do you know his inseam? Thanks.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by sledz View Post
    Awesome, Thx for help on my 6 year olds 20" this week...now I see your 24" build !! this is great... I'm getting ready to build a 24"" for my 8 year old !!... or maybe your kid has out grown all ready?
    Sorry, I just finished it this year, and he's riding it now. He hasn't outgrown it, just started fitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Great build! I'll be starting one soon for my son. How tall is your kid and do you know his inseam? Thanks.
    Barefoot, he's 52 inches with an inseam of just under 24 inches. With shoes and socks, should have a bit more than 24 inches.

As an update, I'm using a carbon seatpost and handlebar with a different saddle and Ti skewers, so the bike is under 22lbs now. I haven't changed the derailleur and chain rings and crank bolt to lighter parts, but I'm not sure it'll save enough weight to bother with it. I can maybe get it to low 21 lbs instead of higher 21 lbs. I can probably get it below 21 with a lighter weight cassette, but at a much higher cost than I think I want to spend.

mtbr member
    I got some ACE-20's. I have not built them yet, but am curious about how well it went going tubeless with the Gorilla Tape.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    I got some ACE-20's. I have not built them yet, but am curious about how well it went going tubeless with the Gorilla Tape.
    I got some ace-20 as well and built them up with some rotaz(?) hubs from Ebay. Ended up doing disk BB7 on both ways.

Drilled them out for Schrader valve. Just was lazy to order new tubes.

Frankly, not sure about bothering with tubeless for now.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    It was OK. I tried to double tape to get the bead lock as with my BST rims, but it still didn't. The bead didn't lock, due to the high side wall, for rim brakes I presume. I'm going to switch to a sliced tube next, when I need to clean out the junk to switch sealant brands. I'm hoping the tube, with 1 layer of Gorilla or just using Stan's tape, will allow the bead to lock when I let out all the air. Due to the failure to lock, I have been running the tires in the low 20 psi range. When he had tubes, I ran it under 20 psi for trail riding.

I used Caffe Latex, and will switch to Stan's so I need to clean it any way. That time should be coming up soon as the Caffe Latex bottle just ran out.

You need an air compressor to seat.

It's a bit of a hassle, I'm not entirely sure it's worth it. If I'm feeling lazy, I may just buy a Stan's kit and give it a go.

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    For you DIY's, there's a Schwinn steel girl's 24 inch MTB frame at Nashbar for $9. Free shipping with $25 purchase today.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah, I saw the MCS Expert. They never responded to my inquiry, so I never bought it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice build. I think this one is my favorite 24" build so far. I love the paint.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by unbobfinch View Post
    I agree! Holland did you happen to weigh the wheel set? Curious if it is in the 1500g range or heavier/lighter.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by unbobfinch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    I agree! Holland did you happen to weigh the wheel set? Curious if it is in the 1500g range or heavier/lighter.
    Thanks for the complements!

I did not weigh it, unfortunately, but I did calculate it at one time. Theoretical was below 1500g, but barely around mid-1400g. That doesn't mean much though. It's also a heavier build as I used Shimano center lock hubs. If I went with some lightweight hubs, it would definitely be. I might do a lightweight build for my daughter (6yo on 20" bike) so I can use a 24" rigid fork with discs instead of the heavy coil fork.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How much weight do you think you could save/ total wheel weight with 28 spoke rims/hubs and 400gram hubs?

Seems crazy my 29er AC wheels weight 1420 grams and I DH them on ski resort downhills!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2