turtles make me hot

Something A Little Different...

So... Everyone always posts bikes they built for their kids. I did this one for my mom.
    I gave it to her for Christmas in like 1992. It was a run of the mill Giant Nutra. 700c, 3x7, canti brake bike. She always enjoyed riding it.
    During Hurricane Sandy, her home on the South shore of Long Island took about 3 feet of water in the basement and the bike got soaked in salt water. I offered to buy her a new bike.
    At the time, my mom was in the hospital fighting cervical cancer. She said she'd really rather I fix that bike than replace it. What do you say to your bed ridden mom?
    Low and behold, here's the end result...
    Something A Little Different...-1412.jpg
    Something A Little Different...-1414.jpg
    After disassembling it to the bare frame and getting it clean, I decided nothing on the bike was worth saving. I built new wheels with Deore hubs and Sun Ringle CR-18 rims. The 41mm 700c Surly Knards are the bomb diggity and in my opinion, make the bike perfect.
    1x10 drivetrain with a 34 tooth Racefaxe NW chainring on Deore cranks. Sram GX derailleur and X7 shifter. The Surly Open Bars are another perfect touch. I was about to put Vee brakes on both ends when Evan, the mechanic at the bike shop who is Old School Cool said it would be a damn shame to not utilize the pulley arrangement for the rear brake. I agreed and we ended up putting Avid Speed Dial levers so they would work with the Vee brake up front and the Cants on the rear.
    Mom came up for Christmas and I presented her with the fully done bike. She rode it around the neighborhood even though it was only about 40 degrees out and she's been in Florida since beating cancer and going home. Bike got the double thumbs up and she was glad I saved the original paint even though I wanted to powder coat it.
    I was supposed to bring it to Florida in July when I go down but the weather is so nice down there right now, I boxed up last night and shipped it off. Hopefully, her boyfriend can manage to put the front wheel, pedals and handlebars on.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 04-20-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Something A Little Different...-hempstead-20160417-00018.jpg

Oddly enough, my phone took better pics than my camera. This is the final pic with the Portland Designs rear rack. Really nice. It has a bamboo deck.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Something A Little Different...-1413.jpg

Here's the rear brake pulley arrangement I mentioned above. Glad I kept it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Really like that. I'm sure she will surprised at how 'new' her old bike is.

mtbr member
    Looks great.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

turtles make me hot
    Thanks. I like it so much I'm on the lookout for a steel frame to build one up for myself.
    Maybe even a 29er frame with a Karate Monkey fork.
    I need a fast pavement bike for the path to Jones Beach.
    I like turtles