Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

And so it starts again! Ghost 26" build.

So some of you might remember this thread about my son's Orbea build
    XS Orbea D'Ella build for my son

And so it starts again!  Ghost 26" build.-904089_10151328106781895_300934058_o.jpg
    Well it's been 2 years and it has worked out SO well (just got back from my son's first trip biking in Moab) that it was time to do a build for my Daughter who is 17m younger.
    The way I do these builds is by starting early and making them earn every part. We make a chart and they have to get 10 checks for each item by doing chores without being asked and other good things. Once they earn a part we take that part and put in on the bike and talk about what it does. This is a great learning experience and from my experience makes them really value the bike once built.

I would have loved to get another Orbea but could not find one anywhere. In fact I had a pretty hard time finding a 12.5"-13.5" frame anywhere. I finally went with a Ghost 9000se from ChainReaction. I am pretty impressed with the frame but it has a couple of issues. First thing I discovered was it comes with a modular cable guide system and you have to buy the cable guides separate something CRC forgot to let you know about when purchasing the frame, so this took another order and added $45 to the cost of the frame. (NOT cool if you ask me) Also and this is a bigger issue the head tube was wrong. So it specs a tapered head tube with an ZS headset. Once the headset was ordered and taken to install the races I found the top was within spec but the bottom was not!! Not only was it not round but it was too small at just over 54mm and had been spec'd for a 56mm race. This led me to three options. I could return it to England, take a sanding wheel and dremel tool to it or find a good machine shop to fix the frame. All three felt like really bad options. As luck would have it a friend of a friend is a machinist for an airspace company and a cyclist and was able to machine the lower headtube and install the race for the spec'd headset....but still

I will update as build evolves but so far we have
    Titec seat post
    FSA headset
    Fox RL 32 100mm
    CrossRide disk wheels
    Raceface shorty stem
    Sinz 140mm crank
    Last edited by clarkrw3; 05-14-2013 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Keep the updates coming. I am researching info for my son's next bike. (subscribing).
    Last edited by coopdad; 05-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

Havok
    Quote Originally Posted by coopdad View Post
    Keep the updates coming. I am researching info for my son't next bike. (subscribing).
    Ditto

mtbr member
    Love her face! Good job on making it that much more special and having them earn the build. Nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Looking good. Are you going to mod the Fox RL? Just built a new hardtail for my son who is 90 pounds and cant get more than 70mm travel. Thinking of modifying the rod in the air chamber to make the chamber larger and more linear.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coopdad View Post
    Keep the updates coming. I am researching info for my son't next bike. (subscribing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post
    Ditto
    Will do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Love her face! Good job on making it that much more special and having them earn the build. Nice!
    Yeah, she is a little excited. I'm a big fan of getting what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Looking good. Are you going to mod the Fox RL? Just built a new hardtail for my son who is 90 pounds and cant get more than 70mm travel. Thinking of modifying the rod in the air chamber to make the chamber larger and more linear.
    I don't plan on it. I have my son on the same fork limited to 90mm and he gets probably 80+ out of it. He is less than 60 lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well clearly I need to tell him to ride harder to get more travel.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I don't know....but I have VERY low positive and negative pressure in the fork.

mtbr member

Here is as it sits now. She has been working hard to earn parts. Everything has gone smooth since the headset. A little worried for when I get to the PF30 bb.
    And so it starts again!  Ghost 26" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369193159.840974.jpg

mtbr member

Another update shot...it's coming along!!And so it starts again!  Ghost 26" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371396497.054427.jpg

mtbr member

repost sorry
    Last edited by clarkrw3; 06-17-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: repost

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I love this idea. I'm going to use it with my 5 year olds next bike build.

Thanks and happy trails
    Thom

mtbr member
    WOW, I haven't updated this in forever...she is done and riding and it came together great I will get photos tonight and update how everything turned out.

mtbr member

Here are a few finished pictures

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Wow great idea! When I saw the first stem you had I thought it was a bit long! Lol

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    Wow great idea! When I saw the first stem you had I thought it was a bit long! Lol
    Yeah that first stem was just to hold the fork on

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    nice job, the bike looks great. wish i could build a bike part by part like that, but i dont know how and my kids wont do the chores...

Havok
    This is great, I love the method of making them earn it. That's definitely on for my son's next bike. I love that Chain! What kind of chain is that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime View Post
    nice job, the bike looks great. wish i could build a bike part by part like that, but i dont know how and my kids wont do the chores...
    It's just part by part bolting it together and if in the end you want someone to check it over take it to a shop and have them run through it and make sure everything is safe. And NO kid wants to but this gets them in the "habit" of chores.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post
    This is great, I love the method of making them earn it. That's definitely on for my son's next bike. I love that Chain! What kind of chain is that?
    Thanks! This method of building a bike is GREAT!! Not only does it help with behavior but it also makes them take ownership of their bike and makes them value it much much more than if it was a gift.
    The chain is a KMC X10SL

try driving your car less
    Well done. You are awesome for building that bike in such a cool way.
    Any idea of the total bill when it was all said and done?
    I have always found it easier and cheaper to go with a complete bike then replace a few things here and there as they wear out or annoy me.
    A few times I have built my own bikes part by part and I always ended up spending way more than I planned! Those little things add up.
    Only boring people get bored.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    The chain is cool and KMC also donates 15% of every chain to the Pink Ribbon Foundation, Plus it is light wieght!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
    Well done. You are awesome for building that bike in such a cool way.
    Any idea of the total bill when it was all said and done?
    I have always found it easier and cheaper to go with a complete bike then replace a few things here and there as they wear out or annoy me.
    A few times I have built my own bikes part by part and I always ended up spending way more than I planned! Those little things add up.
    Thanks!! I honestly have NO idea how much the total cost was. I did many things on the cheep like I got the wheelset from Competitive Cyclist on a sale for $89 shipped....but then things like getting the cranks shortened for the PF92 BB broke the bank, so to speak. You are correct that probably buying a complete bike is less expensive. However, she has a much nicer and lighter bike than you could purchase if money was the issue. I was also able to do things to make the bikes fit better, like narrow bars, short stem, reach adjust brakes, air shock and short crank arms. The crank arms I believe are really really important.

I look at it as the sum is MUCH more than the parts. Doing the build the way I did it with both of my kids was about them spending time with me, building a bike, learning about the parts of a bike and what they do, and taking ownership for something they had to earn. They both really LOVE their bikes and take really good care of them, they pay attention to the details and come to me when there is the slightest issue. They lay there bikes down on non-drive side or prop them up by the rear wheel... all things that if they were given a built bike, even if they had to earn it...the ownership just isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    The chain is cool and KMC also donates 15% of every chain to the Pink Ribbon Foundation, Plus it is light wieght!
    Thanks, Yeah the chain is cool and she LOVES it!!

mtbr member

Was out on the trail for the first real ride. She did great!! Had a couple issues with cactus but she did great and had a great 4.5mile ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    So, my son is 4.5 and I have an infant as well.

How do I get your hand me down que

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    I used your method of earning the parts with my oldest. He's 10 and sized right for an XS frame that we scored from the back corner of our LBS. We used his grades and tests at school for the parts. It's been a great winter activity for both of us. He was stoked yesterday to actually get on and ride it. You're right, overall expense is more than store bought, but the experience and motivation doesn't have a price. Thanks for the idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast