mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Smallest womens bike frame?

What is the smallest frame available for a woman That I can use 26" wheels? I have a large mtn bike I want to convert for my wife approx 5 feet tall
    Thanks

Birdman aka JMJ
    My wife is 5' 2" and rides a 14" (c-t) frame. Most frame makers offer something in this size (13-14", XXS, etc.)

You'll want to go with shorter cranks (170mm) from the ones on your large frame (probably 175mm).

JMJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Any popular brands to look for in that size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went through the same thing a few years ago. My GF is 5' tall and its hard to find frames. Measure her stand over height and start looking. Most if not all frames will give you a stand over height and that is what you want to look for. Some XXS or XS will have a higher stand over height than others S frames becuase of frame design.

I ended up with a used Giant NRS that she was able to fit on. I put a short 40mm stem and riser bars to get a better fit for her. So far she does pretty good on it but only rides it a few times a year.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Boatracer - how much money do you want to spend? What kind of riding will she be doing?

My wife has a 44cm Bianchi Vigorelli steel frame road bike, a 14" Litespeed hardtail (singlespeed), an XS (or XXS) Titus Racer X full suspension, and a 14" or 15" Soma Groove steel hardtail (townie).

Personally, I'd start with the type of frame you're looking for (full suspension or hardtail), then narrow down to material type if it's a hardtail (steel, aluminum, carbon, titanium... most full suspension are aluminum now), then start looking at brands and see if they offer frames in the size you need. Find her standover height and go from there. Inseam minus 12" BB height minus 2-4" clearance = size (or thereabouts).

29" inseam - 12" BB height - 4" clearance = 13" frame (center of BB to top of top tube).

Lastly, when spec'ing out components, look for smaller diameter grips, shorter cranks, and be prepared to cut the handlebar down to a comfortable width.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know this is Families and Kids, and you're asking for your wife, but specific women's sizing questions might be answered better in the women's forum with more first hand knowledge. Just a suggestion.

If you're still having sizing issues (need even smaller) for her I'd suggest searching here for XS frames and 24" wheels. Many parents have bought 26" wheel XS mens or womens frames and outfitted them with 24" wheels to gain even more stand over for their kids. There are examples of kids just over 48" on these type setups.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Guys I am just looking for a basic cheap frame will only be ridden occasionaly

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Where are you located at? I find 13" frame mtb's all the time for sale. My son's trek 3700 I have less than $60 into including new pedals

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatracer View Post
    Thanks Guys I am just looking for a basic cheap frame will only be ridden occasionaly
    Basic & cheap:

Nashbar - Mountain Bike Frames

JMJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am on long island New York