mtbr member
    Mar 2005

smaller chainring for Spawn Banshee... need smaller bolts?

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here... I'd like to try a smaller chainring on my son's new Spawn Banshee. We live in Vermont, all trails go up. The stock 28 tooth is OK on flats, but I'd like to swap a 22 or 24 tooth on there and see if it helps him be able to ride more of the trail.

I had a Shimano 22 tooth from one of my old bikes in the spare parts box, so I pulled the crank, took off the 28 and lined up the 22. Holes are in the right spot, 64 BCD. BUT the chainring bolts/nuts are too wide to fit through the chain ring. The 22 must be designed to just have the "bolt" go through it, right into the spider/crank- but in the Banshee there is a spacer, a thin bashguard, then the spider/crank, so it uses the bolt and the receiving nut that has a wider diameter.

So, can I get smaller chainring nut/bolt combos to fit through the hole in the 22t? Or can I get a 22/24/26 tooth chain ring with the larger diameter bolt hole? I've looked around the web a bit for 64bcd single speed chainrings (thinking they'd have normal size holes) but didn't see anything so small.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am also working on a 3 sod set up for the rear like several others have done. Currently building up a wheel with new hub to take the 3 spd free wheel. But that is a whole other story.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Couldnt you drill out the holes larger on the 22t chainring so that the banshee bolt hardware will work with it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks Grayjay, you are right- I might just have to buy the right size drill bit and go to town on it. I was hoping I was missing something and I could just buy a $5 bag of the right size nuts/bolts and be good. We are planning a ride for the weekend, so the drill press is looking like a better option every minute!

mtbr member

smaller chainring for Spawn Banshee... need smaller bolts?

Standard stuff. I just put the bolt (15mm) from inside with nut (10mm) on outsidesmaller chainring for Spawn Banshee... need smaller bolts?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370547689.559265.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeHeelFreeRide View Post
    thanks Grayjay, you are right- I might just have to buy the right size drill bit and go to town on it.
    If you want to enlarge an existing hole, you either want a manual reamer or a step drill-bit. A standard drill bit is almost impossible to keep centered in the existing hole. Since the spider is pretty thin, you can probably get by with an $8 taper reamer, though you might need a file to clean up the taper.

Step drill-bit:
    Name:  31-PYnvrhsL._AA160_.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  3.8 KB

Taper reamer:
    Name:  31szmt49PgL._AA160_.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  2.3 KB

Straight reamers:
    Name:  41MKQqdBEnL._AA160_.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  5.9 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    doh- I feel silly. thanks adamm3, I switched them around. The nut is just a hair longer than the combo of crank/bash/spacer/chainring, but I think a small washer will let me tighten it all down nicely. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Glad you had this problem first. My cranks from Spawn arrived today and I would have had the same problem if I hadn't read this thread first. Cheers!